• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unready

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
What interests me about Ninomiya-kun isn't just this review or the above average positive ratings on its encyclopedia page but the fact that it was rated positively by almost a thousand people.

Encyclopedia ratings are necessarily skewed, because
1. the people that rate a show are the people that watch a show;
2. the people that watch a show are the people that like a show;
3. therefore the people that rate a show are the people that like a show.

People that don't like a show don't watch it and don't rate it.

I rate shows in "My Anime" for my own information. I don't kid myself that anything anyone else says will mean anything to me.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
What interests me about Ninomiya-kun isn't just this review or the above average positive ratings on its encyclopedia page but the fact that it was rated positively by almost a thousand people.

Encyclopedia ratings are necessarily skewed, because
1. the people that rate a show are the people that watch a show;
2. the people that watch a show are the people that like a show;
3. therefore the people that rate a show are the people that like a show.

People that don't like a show don't watch it and don't rate it.

I rate shows in "My Anime" for my own information. I don't kid myself that anything anyone else says will mean anything to me.

Things are flying over everyone's heads these days. It's not the positive ratings, it's the number of ratings for a show from the mid 2000s that wasn't even licensed that caught my interest. From prestreaming days, that would be fansubs.

These are the people who sought out the show, who are fans of the genre. Never go to a romantic comedy fan if you want to know if a horror film is any good.

Give it time and enough notice, people will give it a negative rating just because it exists. I can see it in the posts now. "I didn't know what it was yesterday but I know I won't watch it today and I will hate it tomorrow."

Quote:
It's easier to learn to critique shows "properly" if you practice on shows that are shitty and obviously shitty. Trying to analyse exactly what's wrong with... Rolling Girls, say, is hard if you haven't done that sort of work before.

And obviously if you want to do something it helps if you watch someone else do it. Reviews of obvious shit are good for that.

Rolling Girls is my favorite show of 2015 for its use of music, design, animation and absolute nerve for making its heroes kind of powerless. So what is wrong with it? Exactly?

Or have you seen this show? I have not but like any good horror movie, once critics start bashing its genre as well as the title under review- got to love impartial reviews like that, right?-, my interest is piqued.

Also, right now, I have the Negima! manga to my left and Shuffle!, Negima?!- the Shaft one, there are several different versions and that first one really is awful- as well as Happy Lesson and Girls Bravo and Love Hina and lots of Tenchi and more to my right. I am, in short, the audience for this sort of thing and as a conclusion to my ramble... seeing how much of my own shelf is perishable to the tastes of this jury?

Neat. Got to this show then; The only reason I don't have OniAi is because it's sub only BD after all and I don't buy anything that's potentially hardsubbed.
Aisia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
I would have to disagree, i watched this one back like eight years ago and to this day i still like it, its a very likeable and fun one with its fandom back in the day.. the passages of time are unavodaible.. Either way just writting this so not all is hate here.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Things are flying over everyone's heads these days. It's not the positive ratings, it's the number of ratings for a show from the mid 2000s that wasn't even licensed that caught my interest. From prestreaming days, that would be fansubs.

Crunchyroll did stream it so it's not just fansub watchers.

However, bringing up Minami-ke yet again, it has a "Very-good" median rating, is rated by 1643 people, and the first season has never been available by any form other than fansubs. So it'd be a much better show from the mid 2000s that wasn't even licensed that should catch your interest.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I vaguely remember watching almost all of Gundam 0080 when it aired on Toonami so long ago. I might need to pick up this DVD for a refresher because I remember the kid and his camera, but little else at this point.

Frank, that is the most incredible thing I've seen in forever. It looks like you have your own anime-themed shop there. :0
melmouth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
"Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun" has an intriguing concept, and could be very funny, in a mildly sexy way.

May I suggest that this is a show aimed squarely at men and boys. It plays to the conflict between fascination with and eagerness for sex, and the countervailing streak of fear of it hat a boy of, say, 12 or 14 or even older would feel. Many harem and ecchi shows do this.

In short, this is obviously a show aimed at a specific demographic. Naturally almost no women would like it, and that would most likely include this reviewer.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The only reason I don't have OniAi is because it's sub only BD after all and I don't buy anything that's potentially hardsubbed.
OniAi wasn't hardsubbed(I've got the set myself). It's probably the harem series with the most developed reasons for wanting to bop the MC I've seen.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:11 am Reply with quote
Perhaps the most memorable ecchi moment from Ninomiya-kun for me is during the class trip arc, when one of the supporting cast (Hinako Ayakawa, maybe) announces that she doesn't think any of the boys are brave enough to sneak into her room at night, with the implication that she wants them to do just that, and presumably other stuff.

Megiddo wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Crunchyroll did stream it so it's not just fansub watchers.

However, bringing up Minami-ke yet again, it has a "Very-good" median rating, is rated by 1643 people, and the first season has never been available by any form other than fansubs. So it'd be a much better show from the mid 2000s that wasn't even licensed that should catch your interest.
If we're to be surprised at the number of ratings for these shows that've gone unlicensed since the mid-00s, we should be surprised that there aren't more. Back in the pre-streaming days, the most popular long-running/mainstream shows like Bleach and Naruto could approach or top a million downloads, seasonal megahits like Code Geass and Death Note could get several hundred thousand, and even moderately-popular ecchi/harem or moe/slice-of-life titles (like Minami-ke, Familiar of Zero, or Strawberry Marshmallow) could reach the high five figures or low six figures. And it wasn't unheard of for more obscure titles to break 10k. Plenty of people watched Ninomiya-kun and its ilk back in the day; it's just that there might not be a huge overlap between that population and the ANN userbase, since ANN has traditionally focused on legitimately-viewed anime.
0nsen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Those who can, please consider Gundam 0080. There is one little scene through which it attains its reputation for being more emotionally substantial than anything else in its timeline.

Even if you have a track record of disliking every Gundam anime you ever saw, which are 17? (SEED, ZZ, Frag, Gensatsu Shuu, 00, 00 S2, 00 Special, Unicorn, Miller's Report, Sanjigen to no Tatakai, Dai 08 MS Shoutai, Kidou Senshi Gundam I, II, III, Gundam 1981, X, W and Endless Waltz.)

It would be nice to finally watch a Gundam anime that I can like, but I remain doubtful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2