• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fuuka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Galap. I was hoping a moderator would drop by and lay down some ground rules.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ya know, it would have been really nice NOT to know that there's something coming down the pipe in this show. Fortunately, I still have no idea what it is. Manga readers really just need to die.

Well, I was going to drop this series so I for one am glad they have clued me in to the fact that something "big" is going to happen. Now I will keep watching. So I would like to thank those "manga a-holes" as you called them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Not everybody is going to consider this kind of non-specific spoiling a problem. Some, like you, appreciate it. Some won't care. And some will hate it. In deference to those who hate it, manga readers should use some restraint. There is an actual forum here to discuss all things manga. Talk about the Fukka manga until you are blue in the face, for all I care. Hell, talk about it in other forums too - JUST USE SPOILER TAGS AND IDENTIFY THE SPOILERS AS FROM THE MANGA. It's just common sense and courtesy to be aware that when you are in an anime thread that there are those who want to enjoy the anime totally free of ANY kind of information.
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Listen. Um, I've been skimming through the comments, looking at these "hints" and I gotta be honest, I can't see where they're giving away spoilers about Fuuka. Sure, they sounds like subtle clues, but I'm not getting anything from them. Right now, I'm drawing a blank as to what they could be talking about. Guess I'm still in the dark. For now, anyway. Confused
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully, so far, the comments have been non-specific. But it still pisses me off. At some point, I'm going to encounter what ever it is and it is not going to hit me with the same shock/surpise/impact because I've been given a head's up that something's coming down the pipe. Every episode now I wonder, is this it? Is the one where this thing is going to get sprung? I would MUCH rather have been blissfully ignorant and then just experience it, untelegraphed.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
Tomchic420 wrote:
Listen. Um, I've been skimming through the comments, looking at these "hints" and I gotta be honest, I can't see where they're giving away spoilers about Fuuka. Sure, they sounds like subtle clues, but I'm not getting anything from them. Right now, I'm drawing a blank as to what they could be talking about. Guess I'm still in the dark. For now, anyway. Confused

Agreed. I'm not sure how something can be considered a spoiler if nothing has actually been spoilt. Honestly, what in the blue hell is a "non-specific spoiler"?...oh wow, look, "something" happens later in the manga...well guess what, "something" happens at some point in every single manga in existence.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:11 am Reply with quote
And all of this is why this kind of thing is so annoying.

Sure, nothing specific has been spoiled, but the fact that something exists and is being talked about has pulled the discussion completely away from anything meaningful. Instead of talking about Fuuka and its intrinsic merits or lack thereof, people are going "tee hee hee, I know that something is coming down the pipe"

As someone who hasn't read the manga and doesn't plan to, what am I going to do with that information? Since I don't know what it is, thinking about it isn't interesting and doesn't mean anything to me directly. All it does is make me watch this thing waiting for 'it' to happen, and maybe since I know something's coming, it will be less cool or not live up to my subconscious expectations. Or it makes me speculate as to what kind of things could happen that would be so notorious or divisive to the readers. There's no meaningful discussion that can possibly come from this topic, because again, I don't know anything, and I don't want to know anything until I actually see it happen.

So it appears the only two options about talking about this thing are as follows:
1: leave a cryptic comment that doesn't mean anything but still distorts people's expectations.
2: explain yourselves further and spoil everyone in the process.

So why even bring it up at all?
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I do apologize if I ruined your viewing experience. The memes about this manga have, been around for years, and one would figure most anime/manga fans know about it at this point. It's one of those "Snape Kills Dumbledore" things.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:12 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I do apologize if I ruined your viewing experience. The memes about this manga have, been around for years, and one would figure most anime/manga fans know about it at this point. It's one of those "Snape Kills Dumbledore" things.

No, it's not. Up until recently I didn't even know Fuuka was a thing. I am way more of an anime fan than a manga fan. The fact that I've been a very active and aware participant of ANN since 2009 and yet knew nothing about Fuuka shows your statement is completely wrong. You are committing the common error of, "well, I've heard of this SO CLEARLY everybody else has, too." Rolling Eyes
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Alright guys, let's rein it in on this one. Everyone's said their piece, and this has taken up enough space already.

In general the mods' stance on source material content is that you can discuss it, but put it in spoiler tags that are marked as from source material. And the hint baiting thing should be avoided as well.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why Gabriella made the assumption that Koyuki was moving in with Yuu just because she was at his house when he got home. He has three sisters who all knew her when they were younger. If she was just coming over to visit they might invite her in as well, right? Not to mention that it would be highly unlikely that any Japanese idol manager would approve of their young star moving in with a boy. (Not that it isn't a likely trope, just not the one I would have gone to with the way the story has been written so far.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Yuu's sisters, I hope we see more of them next eppie. They're a blast.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
How good the prequel by the way?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Dracospirit121 wrote:

I got farther into Suzuka than I did into Fuuka, so Suzuka's probably better.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Dracospirit121 wrote:

There are actually two related anime/manga: Suzuka, which is about Fuuka's spoiler[parents and how they got together], and A Town Where You Live, which is more of a "story that takes place in the same universe" than anything.

The anime adaptation of Suzuka was a mainstay of the mid-00s Funimation catalog, and was generally pretty watchable, but be aware that it covers roughly the first half of the manga, so just watching the the show won't get you up to speed on everything that happens before this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7