• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime-Based Stage Plays So Popular?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thread_Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
NervClaX wrote:
I would definitely attend one of these stage plays if it were an adaptation of an anime or manga I really liked. While something like this wouldn't be commercially viable in the US, I would like to see a dedicated club or group try their hand at it. Or, better yet, let a popular convention like Anime Expo fundraise to bring a Japanese stage play stateside for the weekend.

Supposedly, the Sailor Moon one is going to be at a US convention this year.

I was so upset that it will be on the Friday of the convention. I spent my entire convention budget for this year to go to my very first PAX South so I wouldn't have been able to enjoy Matsuri; but I was going to try to see the musical. But Friday is a 100% no go for me. I am sad. Crying or Very sad
mitsukimahou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
I am a major stage play fan (or butai fans as we call it) and they are very very niche even in Japan. Someone mentioned wanting one to come stateside? The chance of that happening is extremely slim.
The closest they are leaving japan is only very famous and popular ones like touken ranbu musical which went to Shanghai recently and appeared at a con in India.
The audience is very much female. They are just fujobait really. Lots of hot guys dancing and running around for our enjoyment. A major part of the enjoyment is the actors themselves and following them. Like was mentioned they aren't famous outside of the butai community but certain actors like (kuroba mario and sato ryuji) are very famous inside it. The money comes from sales of DVDs and tickets which are really expensive like (6000-9000yen a shot) and merch like bromides which everyone loves to collect.
They certainly aren't for everyone. Even fans of the original might be put off as most of the times girls are cut out of the show as they are aimed at females mainly.
To a non-fan the reply described it perfectly but to a fan the complete opposite could be said (especially to me).
But yeah they are basically fujobait for females really.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I would love it if someone subtitled the Devil May Cry x Sengoku Basara stage play! Or just made an anime out of it.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I have watched the naruto stage play on youtube and its a fun watch would love to see one in person
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
While we're at it, has anyone seen George Lucas Super Live Adventure? If so, can anyone confirm if it's as low-budget as these anime stage play adaptations or if it's something big and grand? Or something in between? (For the record, it is about George Lucas himself. I don't think he had any part in making it except his permission.)

MiloTheFirst wrote:
the one thing I wanted to know which I think justin was not clear enough is how appealing this plays can be to regular non-otaku people? I understand the producer make them having in mind that their income is vastly going to come from die hard fans, but how do the regular masses see them? do they look down on them? would a regular guy with some free time choose to watch one for a change or would he have some sort of prejudice towards them?

While I can't speak for these anime adaptations of stage plays, if they're like other things targeted squarely at existing fans and no one else, the mainstream just ignores them. Your Shinichi Q. Public is not likely to look down on them, and if he's heard of it at all, he'll recognize it as something fans will like but is not for him. But there is an off-chance he'll go see it out of curiosity if he's bored and has the time for it. (Of course, this is a completely different story if the fans have a reputation for being obnoxious.)
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:53 am Reply with quote
Only anime-based stage play I've seen (or had an interest in seeing – definitely the only one I would and did go to Japan, twice, specifically to see) was the PriPara live musical, this year and last. The draws were that the musical performances were actually performances of the songs from the show and, relatedly, that the main six characters were played by their actual seiyuu, the six members of idol unit i☆Ris It was extraordinarily silly and a lot of fun, especially with the increased ad lib segments and running jokes between performances in the 2017 version.
ignitingblue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:54 am Reply with quote
There is a group that focus on adapted musical stage play: https://www.j25musical.jp/en/. As far as I know, some naruto stage plays are available in China, with subs. Haven't watched them myself, just saw posters outside theaters.
It is said that aesthetic of anime is largely influenced by stage play. I heard that GAINAX has a guidebook which says outcome of its production should bear several similarities to stage play, but I haven't verify it.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
ignitingblue wrote:
There is a group that focus on adapted musical stage play: https://www.j25musical.jp/en/. As far as I know, some naruto stage plays are available in China, with subs. Haven't watched them myself, just saw posters outside theaters.
It is said that aesthetic of anime is largely influenced by stage play. I heard that GAINAX has a guidebook which says outcome of its production should bear several similarities to stage play, but I haven't verify it.

I do remember reading that the new Evangelion movies are set up something like whenever Japan remakes older stage plays, things based on the Sengoku era and so forth. Basically the first act shows you what you already new before - the first Evangelion movie 1 point whatever. The second act shows you what they are changing - the second movie 2 point whatever. And the third act and beyond go off in a completely new territory and gives you a new ending - the third Evangelion movie which Funimation took forever to release. And this will apply to 4 or 5 or however long the movie series goes, brand new territory.

I'm going completely off memory so I may be a bit spotty with the exact details.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2