• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Dragon Girls to Set Your Heart Aflame

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I've always thought that cats and dragons were natural antagonists, well big cats anyway. I've seen several images of a tiger and a dragon snarling at each other used to show the atmosphere when two competitors face each other. Isn't that the concept behind the title Toradora?

Indeed--I'd hate to reference TV Tropes twice in a row, but they have a pretty long list of fictional examples under their Tiger Versus Dragon article.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I've always thought that cats and dragons were natural antagonists, well big cats anyway. I've seen several images of a tiger and a dragon snarling at each other used to show the atmosphere when two competitors face each other. Isn't that the concept behind the title Toradora?

It's a Buddism symbolism and Toradora is based on that concept.

"Both the Dragon and the Tiger are Buddhist symbols, with the tiger lunging straight ahead to bulldoze through his opponents, while the dragon is revered more for patience and wisdom from which he then derives fighting power. With neither able to conquer the other, these kingly beasts represent a balance of power, "hard" and "soft" styles coming together to form a harmony between Yin and Yang. [...] The dragon and the tiger will likely be used to represent these similar-but-different forces. The person representing the dragon will usually be wise, tempered, patient, humble, plucky, and/or any other traits usually seen as "laid-back". The person representing the tiger will probably be passionate, driven, enthusiastic, wild, and/or other traits seen as "hot-blooded".

Sometimes, it can be reversed, though. Most dragons tend to be protagonists and most tigers tend to be rivals or antagonists, like in the case of Ryu and Sagat. But the opposite case does exist, but rather rarely.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I think there are two reasons for that. One, the directional guardian beasts are the Black Turtle (north), Red Phoenix (south), Blue Dragon (east), and White Tiger (west). It's natural to imagine face offs between opposite directions (east and west). Secondary to that is that ferocious turtles don't quite have the same cachet as tigers and dragons, snapping turtles and mutants notwithstanding.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
What would DD lore have to do with dragons in general?

First of all if that is true, that DD has dragons coming from cats its kind of odd to say the least, at least birds make a little more sense considering they evolved from Dinosaurs a group whose bones might have inspired the dragon concept.

Even if that is true for DD, it would have no bearing on these particular characters because they are unrelated to DD.

I also though Dragonaut might be on here, but then again it kind of went largely unnoticed even though I thought it was okay.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd really like someone to point me to a source which says that D&D has dragons descending from cats. I've played it in one form or another for 35 years now and never heard this.

And I really liked seeing Zefiris included on this list, even though she's more of a metaphorical than literal dragon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'd really like someone to point me to a source which says that D&D has dragons descending from cats. I've played it in one form or another for 35 years now and never heard this.

This is very close to what I seem to be remembering, but I'm sure it's better established in some long out-of-print book with a title like "The Draconomicon" or something.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
As much fun as getting standard chocolate from a cartoon would be, I don't really remember many characters that make the Valentines chocolate they give. Immediately what comes to mind is Mayaka from Hyouka, but I'm kinda stumped after that.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Little Witch Academia in the top 5 shows that piracy is still prevalent. I too want to watch that show, but I rather wait on Netflix; they will most likely dub it as well.

Speaking of Little Witch Academia, their version Fafnir in this week's episode was hilarious Laughing

Surely someone saw this coming. The same thing happened to Ajin and Kuromukuro. Netflix needs to look into some kind of simulcast model. That or produce these shows exclusively ala Voltron..

On another note, how the hell is Tanya The Evil rated that low? It's like the only thing people are talking about this season.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
As much fun as getting standard chocolate from a cartoon would be, I don't really remember many characters that make the Valentines chocolate they give. Immediately what comes to mind is Mayaka from Hyouka, but I'm kinda stumped after that.

Maybe the SnS girls? Knowing Totsuki's elitism, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a rule that if female students of the school want to give someone chocolate for Valentine's day, they must make the chocolate themselves. And given all the skills they ask for in their students, none of them should have any problem making chocolate, I think
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Dragon Half! is also a 2014 DVD release from Discotec. TRSI has it listed for $15

So glad to hear this title has a license rescue! It still makes me laugh even now.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Aren't dragons descended from cats, anyway, at least when it comes to Dungeons and Dragons lore? (Not sure how I know that, but whatever.)

Believe it was E. Nesbit who suggested that, in "The Book of Dragons".

(And that if you stop feeding your cats cat food, and let them chase mice and birds again, they'll turn back into dragons again before you know it.)
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

There's also Sunako Nakahara from The Wallflower--which, true to form, she made for herself and her collection of anatomical models and skeletons. (It makes sense in context...)
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
I maybe misremembering, certainly as it was an inconsequential show, but wasn't the whole thing about Tear that she wasn't a Dragon, she just thought she was one due to her upbringing?

All of the girls in Unlimited Fafnir have powers because of the dragons, and if the dragons get too close to them when they want to mate then they turn into the dragons. The difference with Tear is that she was raised to think that she was supposed to turn into a dragon, as opposed to the other characters who want to remain human.

spoiler[In the light novels - after the point at which the anime ended - she actually ends up absorbing Yggdrasil instead of the other way around.]

The problem with the adaptations is that they always tend to start at the same point - lone guy in a girls school, magic school, trapped in a game world, etc - and the anime isn't long enough to actually show where they all diverge from one another. That's one reason Log Horizon worked when after the first few episodes it was still being slammed as a SAO clone; it was actually given the time it needed to show how it was different, not how it was the same. Unlimited Fafnir went in a neat direction and it is a shame that it ends as a seeming clone with all the other ones that start in the same place and end completely differently long after the adaptation has finished.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:
^And then there's Fredrica from Chaika - The Coffin Princess (from the author of Scrapped Princess) who is both a cat girl and a dragon girl.

Oh you mean best girl that felt like a glaring omission from the list but no accounting for taste I guess.

I've seen the entire series but, you know, sometimes it's hard to recall in the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I would like to have seen Filia from the "The Slayers Try series" make the list. I thought she was a cutie, and I really liked her character as well. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4