• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film's Full Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Punpun's ghost wrote:
Am I the only one who is wincing a little at SJ's skin suit though? The Major's outfits, or lack of them, are, well, a bit crass in the animes... In the film, it's just that step worse in my book. Unless they're gonna stick Batau in the same suit, and have the characters acknowledge the ridiculousness of running around a city and kicking ass while basically naked - naked plus Japanese censorship! - it seems an awkward throwback to when the male-centred gaze wasn't even questioned. Feel free to disagree, guys, 'cause that's just my opinion.
It looks like something that does not translate well into a live-action adaptation. There's this uncanny valley vibe to it. It would have been more convincing if it was implied the Major was wearing a body suit instead. Not to mention, I've seen the actress in Under The Skin.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:58 pm; edited 5 times in total
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Basically this film is looking/sounding like a weird hodgepodge of the first film(in the form of all the famous scenes/shots it is using) and the second season of SAC.:
I'd also add that this film's setting is obviously based on Neo Tokyo, unlike Oshii's films and SAC, which had a visual aesthetic modeled upon Hong Kong.

I know the live action Akira's in perpetual limbo, but part of the appeal would have been seeing Neo Tokyo. Now, that's gone. Hell, were it still to come out, it'd look like a GITS retread to non-anime fans.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Punpun's ghost wrote:
Am I the only one who is wincing a little at SJ's skin suit though? The Major's outfits, or lack of them, are, well, a bit crass in the animes... In the film, it's just that step worse in my book. Unless they're gonna stick Batau in the same suit, and have the characters acknowledge the ridiculousness of running around a city and kicking ass while basically naked

I'm with ya. Iirc, she needed to be naked in the movie for her reflective camo to work, but they dispensed with that in the series, and they could've done here as well. It always bugged me in the first season of the series that she was dressed so outlandishly while her colleagues were all bundled up in 20 pounds of clothes, or business suits (at least Wonder Woman's peers wear colorful, form-fitting tights alongside her). I mean, she can dress how she wants on her own time, but who goes to work, class, or a strategy meeting dressed like that? Or any work that's not sex or entertainment work, unless that's the norm for everyone? It wasn't even a very attractive outfit, skin or no, and it certainly didn't look comfortable, so she didn't choose it for that. I have trouble even imagining her thought process as she's picking out what to wear.

At least Faye Valentine had some fashion sense in her skimpy outfit. Smile
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
This movie is directed by the brilliant mind behind Snow White and the Huntsman, and brought to you by the genius who helmed Transformers 2-4, The Skeleton Key, The Ring Two, Scream 3, and The Brothers Grimm, among many other genuinely awful movies.

You know. Brilliant, thoughtful humans who definitely belong near a GITS movie.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Basically this film is looking/sounding like a weird hodgepodge of the first

'Hodgepodge' is definitely le mot juste for describing what we have just seen. Many of the scenes' colour designs were simply garish, eschewing restraint in the name of immersion but serving only to distract.
(I cannot speak of the sound or dialogue. I watched the trailer at double speed with the audio muted, while whistling the main theme of Super Mario Brothers 2 to occupy myself. A degree of levity helps with things like this, I find.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NervClaX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
In a previous Shirow manga, Black Magic (partly adapted into anime Black Magic M66), the army created bishojo androids. The reasoning behind their feminine features was thus:
Most soldiers are male and would hesitate to shoot and kill a young attractive female. That brief moment of hesitation gives them an advantage on the battlefield.

I believe this was the reason The Major chose a female body. The Major's gender and sexuality is ambiguous. Batou has romantic feelings for her, and gentlemanly puts his coat over her naked shell in the original film. The Japanese voice actor for Batou even says he played it like a romance. The Major does not return his feelings in any significant way. In the manga, The Major takes advantage of her highly sensitive Android body and makes extra money having a lesbian orgy, recording the sensations, and selling them on the black market.

I hope they didn't make too many significant changes to the theme of the film, however. The original film was a fascinating examination of the boundaries between humanity and machine. I'm not signing up for Jason Bourne in Neo-Tokyo.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
please don't screw this up
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Punpun's ghost wrote:
Am I the only one who is wincing a little at SJ's skin suit though? The Major's outfits, or lack of them, are, well, a bit crass in the animes... In the film, it's just that step worse in my book. Unless they're gonna stick Batau in the same suit, and have the characters acknowledge the ridiculousness of running around a city and kicking ass while basically naked - naked plus Japanese censorship! - it seems an awkward throwback to when the male-centred gaze wasn't even questioned. Feel free to disagree, guys, 'cause that's just my opinion.

Why are we questioning the gaze now exactly?

Anyway, those scenes are a throwback to the original movie. The Major is the only one that can do that iirc because only she has a full cyborg body, and the cloaking is a special feature of her body.

I do think a flesh colored suit looks odd though. If they weren't going to just have her be naked (which I'd never expect them to do), a SAC style suit would have looked better. However, they were clearly trying to reproduce some of the original scenes so I can see why they went that way.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
Heh, the trailer makes it look halfway between The Matrix and TRON Legacy. Sounds pretty cool already!

jdnation wrote:
The original one went near fully nude. Though in a sense it was a prosthetic body and still looked artificial, and the point was to highlight the idea of people moving from flesh and blood to machine bodies, so it did serve a thematic point, especially when the body gets ripped apart to expose wires underneath it. So it served as interesting juxtaposition, particularly when one is dealing with manufactured bodies. Bodies at this time are also serving more as a utility for her line of work. Making them disposable. It always seemed more eerie to me than sexy. Motoko is so far removed from her body she feels no 'shame' from its exposure.

That's the impression I'm getting from this trailer, frankly. The blankness of her body, and the uniform beige it has, makes it look like a life-size Barbie doll, only creepier because it has Scarlett's head on it.

Ashminigun wrote:
So the supposed antagonist is spoiler[The Puppet Master or the Laughing Man or jumps forward to Kuze?]

Word on the vine is that this is an original villain but written as a composite of existing Ghost in the Shell villains. (It was mentioned earlier that the villain is named Kuze, but it could still be a composite, just like with Kaecilius in Doctor Strange.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2