• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice Voted as Tokyo Anime Awards' Animation of the Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
The voting system kinda sucks. I mean, if each twitter account could vote each day, one crazy fan could create a tons of bot-like accounts and vote every single day. With voting system like this, even if the anime was super shit, it could win if there were crazy fans (or trolls) rigging the poll.

Just for example, when Level-5 (video game developer of Inazuma Eleven, Yokai Watch and Professor Layton) created a favorite character poll, [url=/perhaps-blame-internet-pranksters-for-scorning-profess-583034804]people were voting for an airplane from lesser-known game[/url] instead.

I liked Joker Game but even I scored it a flat 7, and frankly there were a lot of better anime in the 2016.

Internet polls are easy enough to rig or spam vote, so they're often the target for pranks. Anime ones are no different. I wouldn't take them with much weight. One of my favorite examples is when fujoshi tried to rig a Inazuma Eleven poll for kids so otaku retaliated and rigged it against fujoshi so you had otaku vs fujoshi going on while the target audience, kids, were scratching their heads at why so many weird characters were being voted for.

-Stuart Smith
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
The voting system makes this poll really pointless.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Really, these polls are all but meaningless - all they do is ascertain which were the biggest fan-favorite shows of the year. (I do like some shows on the list but it is still ridiculous.)

Well, it is a fan poll...

I'm also a bit surprised at Joker Game's popularity. No one around me was that into it.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:57 am Reply with quote
Were most of the voters for this poll women?

Not that I mind or care, mind you; I'm just glad to see Mob Psycho so high, but it definitely seems like this ranking reflects the preferences of female otaku and fujoshi in particular. See how high Joker Game is, or Yuri!! on Ice, IBO, Free!, Mob Psycho, hell even World Trigger (which isn't usually mentionned anywhere given how weak the anime adaptation is compared to the source material) etc. all shows that have a large female/fujoshi following while heavy hitters like JoJo or Re:Zero with bigger male fanbases are nowhere to be seen.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:11 am Reply with quote
Seems like only women were allowed to vote judging by this horrible result, what a sad day to live in....because there are easily 50 better anime out there with better story, animation etc then that overhyped yo... Agh just dont wanna say anythin anymore else bunch of fujoshi gonna start crying
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote
Starbuckets wrote:
Were most of the voters for this poll women?

I do think it's true. I mean, anime like Dream Festival! is kinda unheard of (and the demographic is obviously towards female), and I was actually following the poll and Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! LOVE! used to be in the higher ranking than Mob Psycho.
quaton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:35 am Reply with quote
High☆Speed! totally deserves that 3rd place so I'm happy. It's also worth noting that it's back from Dec 2015 - which is older compared to the rest - and still has made it this far <3
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
sammy:
Quote:
Why is every one so bewildered that Joker Game placed second? Joker Game's Blu-Rays ranked top five in the charts.

You sure? I didn't see it in any ANN articles.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly baffled at how impopular Joker Game seems to be around here (and how vocal people are against it). I still think is one of the best episodic series of this decade (alongside the second season of Mushishi and, probably, Onihei) and a damn fine adult series with zero otaku crap (moe, waifus, lame "comedy", etc). Plus, it was visually gorgeous and it had a wonderful ost (by Kenji Kawai, no less).
Oh, well, at least I'm glad to see it's quite popular in Japan and I certainly hope we get a second season down the line.
wohdin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
Never underestimate the power of fujo/danshi.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:19 am Reply with quote
Yuri!!! On Ice was a good series, a labour of love by director and writer, and a show with wide across the board appeal.
It should come as no surprise to anyone that such a popular show would win a popularity poll.

Commenting "Ugh fujoshi" says rather more about your own personal prejudices than anything else.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
I liked Joker Game, but I feel like it lost steam towards the end. Hope it's popular enough to get a sequel, because i'd like to see more stories from this universe.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
I'm honestly baffled at how impopular Joker Game seems to be around here (and how vocal people are against it).

I don't think anyone is against it. Everyone here has only expressed their surprise that it got such a high ranking. It seems the general consensus on this board is that it could have been better, not that it was bad.

I enjoyed the series, but I agree that while the scenarios were interesting, the story didn't really go anywhere. We never really got a chance to become vested in the characters like we did with YOI or other character-driven series like Haikyuu.

Dop.L wrote:
Commenting "Ugh fujoshi" says rather more about your own personal prejudices than anything else.

QFT.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
As expected, YOI is dominating another poll. I'm glad to see it be so successful. I'm glad that MP100 and some other of my favorites got on the top 10 list. I was hoping to see Shouwa, but it doesn't seem to be that popular. Oh well, atleast we're getting a full adaption.

BlackPoint. wrote:
Seems like only women were allowed to vote judging by this horrible result, what a sad day to live in....because there are easily 50 better anime out there with better story, animation etc then that overhyped yo... Agh just dont wanna say anythin anymore else bunch of fujoshi gonna start crying

Man, people always overreact to these things. It's not a "horrible" list, it's a list that reflects different tastes than yours in cartoons. Why is this always the reaction when women vote for stuff? It's not like people flood the comments on polls that men voted in more with 'there's so much better stuff, why didn't they vote for what I liked?!'

Also YOI >>>>> anything from last year.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
Even looking into polls, even more to internet polls with very suspicions eyes, i agree.

YOI is Animation of the Year from a series point of view. Is important because open anime market even more to the female otaku audience. Record sales of BD's for this kind of anime.

For me "Shinkai's 'your name.' " is the best anime of the year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4