• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but you're just a natural born troublemaker, aren't ya, Alan45? Geez, you'd think after all this time watching me post, you would have learned a thing or two about getting along with folks. Hee hee hee...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

Let's just say that based on your examples I realize that there are things I may not say, as much as I want to. Mad
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I am required by my own laws of anime to watch one magic high school battle show a season, and this was it by default (not following Hero Academia)
The second episode improved a lot over the first, but we are still firmly in familiar territory, at least it is moving at a good clip, or seems to be.
There are hints this could be decent, and I am still fascinated by the women's uniform.
What do they think when they put that on each day?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Only because it is anime land that this can slide, but if Radar was expected to be as bad ass as he is his fore arms would be noticeably much more buff to say the least and his casual looking shirt would be a bit more form fitting.

It makes sense that on an official academic level he is only "third tier" or whatever the term is because he was busy doing wet work like he is magical Solid Snake years prior.

Otherwise, this show is going pretty by the book for its genre which is an issue when there are several other "magical" shows this season.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Quote:
I am still fascinated by the women's uniform.
What do they think when they put that on each day?

The probably don't think about it. When I was in what is now called middle school, skirts were required to be inches below the knee and were usually paired with saddle oxfords. By the mid 1970s middle and high school girls were wearing skirts so short that some were sold with matching underpants. Worse yet, some of their mothers were following the same fashions. Basically as long as "everyone is doing it ..." they don't care. They probably don't like the garter belts though. When panty hose came along those were dropped with glee.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I think that I kind of see the deal now, pretty much him being a lazy genius means that he hates things that are rote, which works down to him not being able to work the shortened version of the spells. Kind of like sucking at remembering a lot of information but he understands the basic principles of how magic works as a system, and works more within the free thinking of understanding that fundamental aspects and not the forcing of already pre-conceived ideas down throats. Probably mostly sounds like gibberish all of that or that I am looking too hard at it, but I personally think that I understand it because I actually really think along the same way in ways.

Since high school I kind of referred to myself as a bit of a lazy genius, like being pretty smart but I could kind of give off the appearance of being lazy. The reason is that I suck at memorising things I had to try really hard to memorize a particular rote item such as equations, like people could memorise the one to do. And yet I was good at maths as rather than memorizing what the equation was I could quickly learn what the point of equations were, knowing the systems and in the end affording more of an understanding of how things fit together. His attitude has some problems which I am sure will be explained, but so far I kind of get him, that he is part of a thought against just repeating the thoughts of those before without understanding what those thoughts mean. And the explanation of magic had me interested.

Felt like less fanservice being intrusive this time, that is except for that assault scene towards the end, which I think the threat in the classroom was more effective than the ramped up threat of rape. The pacing is also in a bit of a problem, it is a little too quick without a large enough room to breathe.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
There are hints this could be decent, and I am still fascinated by the women's uniform. What do they think when they put that on each day?

Probably something along the lines of, "Maybe the school shouldn't have picked a fashion designer who's a sex maniac to do our uniforms."

Didn't like the sexual assault scene. It felt like a cheap plot stunt to show how bad-ass "Glenn Radar" (snicker) is. And it went out of its way to show how helpless and damsel in distressy White Neko is. Nice 1980s story-telling chops there, bud. Plus, she has been shown to have more spunk than that so to suddenly see her lose her nerve simply didn't ring true. But gotta have that helpless damsel, so...

This show is still on probation with me.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 2
Snip

You're way off, he's unmotivated because he really hates magic at this point in time. Somebody speculated code to the truth a few post back, but basically

spoiler[Due to him creating his own origin original spell during his academy years (15/16yo) he was scouted into the royal secret elite magic guard thinking he could be a hero of justice but was face with the reality of the world and was disillusioned towards magic, and some things happen future down the line which would not be cover in the series which basically call it quits and become a neet for a year. (Basically he's archer (EMIYA) but less badass)]

And ep2 was pretty decent that might due to white cat not having much lines, my only gripe is that they cut out a very important line from rumia and Glenn scene​ which would expend on the character acting how they are. I know they are trying to force 4 vol into 1cour but seriously how much time could 1 line take that builds character save by not including it in. NGNL did it, hell konosuba even cut out scenes and replace with only a passing line or a brief flashback cuts for chatter introduction, do the screenwriter even read the original and comprehend some of the paragraph that they are trying my to adapt??

As for the magical tier thing, basically it's like the level system from the index series tier 3 basically means he's average, he capable as a mage has average mileage and output that doesn't standout.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Based on the opening scene in the first episode, and then on what we were shown of him once he arrived at the academy, I got the impression that he was once a real up-and-comer and that something happened that greatly disillusioned him (this is usually the result of seeing your dreams twisted somehow). I think he meant what he said to White Cat about what magic was "really" for, and that he did indeed come to hate it because of how it made him feel. Now he seems to be... well, maybe not liking it, but I think he enjoys seeing how others are liking it, so he likes it vicariously through his students.

Of course, with the events in Ep 2, he's pretty much forced to fully re-engage his abilities, but that probably doesn't mean he is very fond of magic as of yet. But, like he said, magic is very good at killing people. Also, I wasn't too fond of the attempted rape scene, either. That's a bit too cliché and I didn't like seeing White Cat like that, either.

As with Blood-, this show is on probation with me. I'm inclined to watch it for the long haul, but it sometimes does things that I'm not too pleased about. Also, Glenn's last name is... dumb.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, Glenn's last name is... dumb.

I am going to have to disagree, even though Radar is a fictional name that would make little sense in a society of magic, it is a reference to a real world technology that revolutionized warfare, this makes sense as a name for a protagonist that is being hyped up as a man that will "change the world".

Regardless if the character does or does not live up to such a promise, Radar is a clever fictional name assuming that was the angle.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's a matter of taste, I guess. To most English-speakers, a name like Glenn Radar is going to sound dumb. Anime, for obvious reasons, is a bit tone deaf when it comes to English names. Wasn't there a villain in Madlax - a non-comedy title, I might add - who was called Friday Monday or something like that?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
^ Not to mention that in English-speaking countries "Radar" would be his last name -- his family name. It'd be like saying "He's from the Radar Family." That sounds... extremely dumb. Of course, as Blood- says, lots of Western-sounding names that are used in anime sound pretty absurd to the ears of those who speak English natively.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
(something)Smith/Son/bottom, potter, dungworth, Gotobed, De'Ath, Cock and Focker just to name a few. (God forbid a Cock and Focker gets married and decides to share their​ surname.)

So yeah......
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure the point you're making. There are real English speakers with weird names, and people make fun of each others' names all the time. But it's one thing to be born with a weird surname, where you don't have a choice. It's another to invent a stupid name and expect no one to raise an eyebrow. It comes across as lazy and half-assed writing.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
But it's one thing to be born with a weird surname, where you don't have a choice. It's another to invent a stupid name and expect no one to raise an eyebrow. It comes across as lazy and half-assed writing.

You do realise that all names are invented, no names are magically given to any lineage someone had to come up with it in the first place Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5