• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Eromanga Sensei

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote
I find all of the squick behind step sibling relationships to be unusual, ignoring the fact that the show is fictional in the first place. They aren't related by blood, so there are no biological reasons to deny the relationship. If there were any psychological reasons, that's the couple's problem, not the problem of onlookers. Half-siblings can be problematic, sure, and a relationship between step parents and step children is weird because dating the kids of a former lover is all kinds of wrong, sure. However, even if 2 stepsiblings they were raised together from childhood, I wouldn't interfere. I would just find it odd and move on.

Incidentally, while a 4 year age gap is somewhat odd at their age, it won't matter too much in 5 or 10 years so meh. People shouldn't pursue romance until they are old enough to be willing to get married anyways.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
Just read a bit of the manga... somehow this series is somewhat good. Neutral
JB Gra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Maybe it's because I've been an anime fan for so long and thus endured the much maligned incest in everything years, but a romance between step-siblings who didn't even really grow up together does not bother me at all. Like I don't even see it as incest. Don't get me wrong, this show has some huge issues, I think the sister being twelve is a WAY bigger problem than how related they are, and is the reason I'll probably not watch this, but I mean no one's outraged at Marmalade Boy and they're step-siblings in that. In fact that one's pretty beloved around here.

Yes, Miki and Yu were step-siblings, but they never really emphasized that fact like in Eromanga Sensei. They never called each other brother/sister, and they were more like just two teenagers with no relation living on the same house thanks to their parents shenanigans.

On the other hand, in Eromanga Sensei, Sagiri calls Masamune "nii-san" and Masamune himself refers to sagiri as "my little sister", which makes it kinda uncomfortable to watch even though they are not blood-related.

Having said this, I find myself enjoying this show and their cute designs. Just wish they dropped the "siblings" act. Feels more like cashing out of the "imouto" genre so people start consuming this series.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
JB Gra wrote:
Yes, Miki and Yu were step-siblings, but they never really emphasized that fact like in Eromanga Sensei. They never called each other brother/sister, and they were more like just two teenagers with no relation living on the same house thanks to their parents shenanigans.

It doesn't sound like you necessarily fall under that yourself, but I think anyone who draws the line there is putting an incredibly stupid amount of importance in how two people refer to each other. What you are describing is essentially the situation here. It was heavily emphasized that they not only knew each other for a short amount of time but only met face to face once before the 'present' time.

Actually what your describing sounds even more like a sibling relationship because it sounds like the parents are actually in the picture. In this case, the parents who bound the two together as step siblings are completely removed almost immediately which subsequently removes much of the family aspect to the point where one of them questions whether or not they even count as a family.

That isn't to say that I don't think there is any rational reason to be discomforted by the thought of a romantic relationship. Her age and the fact that he seems to be, in everything but legal standing, her guardian are both pretty 'ehhhh'. I'm amused though so I'll be sticking with it until that is no longer the case.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Really no point to reviewing this degenerate garbage.

You mean like there's no point in posting in this thread simply to troll it?
JB Gra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
What you are describing is essentially the situation here. It was heavily emphasized that they not only knew each other for a short amount of time but only met face to face once before the 'present' time.

And that's why I find the sibling relationship forced. As you said, they barely interacted with each other, but suddenly Masamune consider himself and Sagiri a family, doing her laundry and making her meals.
I know the reason may be how Japanese handle these situations differently than us westerners, but still...

I don't know if you're familiar with Marmaled Boy, but I'm not sure the MC's relationship can be called "more like a sibling" relationship. They both were like 15-16 when they met and started living together, always at odds at the beginning. And both sets of parents are there also living in the same home, so not your ordinary step-parents. But one thing in common that they did have with Eromanga Sensei MC's is that their interactions leans towards a romantic relationship.

And yeah, it's not like I care that much how they call each other. Just that it feels unnatural and only there for the sake of appealing to "imouto" fans. The show can do without it.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
So today I learned that Eromanga is also a town in Australia, a language in Vanuatu, and an extinct elasmosaur. I don't know why but I find that hilarious.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
Elf is easily the most surprising character of the season for me. Went from annoyed to adoring her in one episode. Sagiri's going to have to step up her game.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Elf is easily the most surprising character of the season for me. Went from annoyed to adoring her in one episode. Sagiri's going to have to step up her game.

After reading the manga, i can safely say that she's waifu material. The problem is that this was authored by that persona <.<
unitmikey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I don’t know, to me the series is getting even worse. I still don’t like Elf. It’s good that she makes the statement about the importance of being passionate when you are writing something, but I feel the episode focused more on her yelling and fighting (and she still seems overly obnoxious). Not to mention the piano thing is really glossed over and random. It doesn’t seem like it fits in with a show that wasn’t trying to use strong character setups anyway.

And the ending credit sequence is really cute. It’s always more fun to do household chores when you are dancing to J-pop.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Can we please stop labeling this show "INCEST!!!"

Rolling Eyes

I agree with the reviewer entirely about Megumi though. What a stupid, unfunny character. =_=

Quote:
Incidentally, while a 4 year age gap is somewhat odd at their age, it won't matter too much in 5 or 10 years so meh.

It's actually just a 3 year gap. So when she's 13 and he's 16, it won't feel that weird, I'm sure.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Rolling Eyes

How's quasi-incest strike you? It is clearly aimed at those interested in fictional incest and putting the fig leaf of not being blood related doesn't change that.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
It is clearly aimed at those interested in fictional incest and putting the fig leaf of not being blood related doesn't change that.

It changes EVERYTHING, are you kidding?

I would not be watching this otherwise.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

No. He calls her his sister and she calls him brother. They live together as siblings. You can call it pseudo-incest if you want but the incest is there. Personally I'm more concerned about the fact that with the 12yo pseudo-sister being end game that the whole setup is pedofililic in nature.

BTW, if you want to watch a GOOD anime that treats incest properly watch Koi Kaze. It even has the age gap issue down pat!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

No. He calls her his sister and she calls him brother.

Um, same goes for most female characters when addressing a boy older than them?

Quote:
You can call it pseudo-incest if you want but the incest is there.

You DO understand that "incest" means "sexual relations between blood relatives", right?

Calling this show "incest" is like calling a chicken that dresses up as a duck "a real duck".

Quote:
Personally I'm more concerned about the fact that with the pseudo-sister being end game that the whole setup is pedofililic in nature.

It isn't. They are BOTH minors, plus the age of consent is 13, PLUS she could legally get married to him when she is 16 and he is 19.

Quote:
BTW, if you want to watch a GOOD anime that treats incest properly watch Koi Kaze.

No thanks. I don't want to watch ANY anime that has actual incest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8