• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midaro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I'm going into this show having not seen the first season at all, and I'm surprised by how easy it is to understand. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff I'm missing, but so far, it's pretty enjoyable by itself.

I advice you, though, to watch the fist season along the week. All that happened there is relevant to the way characters act and interact. And it's sooooooo good!
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Badcrazy wrote:
Hunter Sopko wrote:
Morry wrote:
And maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but was the god faction really that bad? I recall Jeanne being corrupted because a demon manipulated a weak king by playing on his insecurities since Jeanne was heavily favored by the gods, particularly Michael.

This is what I remember too, and then the demon manipulated Jeanne at her weakest in turn (in very unconvincing fashion, probably the weakest link set of scenes in an otherwise stellar show).

My take on it is people found out the gods really didn't give a shit about them. Some of the angels realised how bad they got at the end of last season as well. With that in mind when you have the power to take out the demons why not be rid of the useless Angels as well?

See, now that's what I thought. I can understand Charioce and co. dropping the divine like a wet tissue for being "useless" more than "not-so-nice-people". Thanks!
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
This might be my favorite show of the season, and if it maintains its quality will definitely be a strong contender for AotY. I say might be because the new season of AoT is so good so far it's insane. In any case, I love this show so far, and the season in general. There's a lot of high-quality stuff right now.
chaccide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote
If you're thinking that the first season was weaker than this one and had underdeveloped characters, you need to go back and watch it again. The new season has a lot of promise, but at this point it doesn't come close to what happened in season one.

And ya know, pretty guys were a standard in game characters long before Yuri on Ice. Ever hear of Final Fantasy?
wertwow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote
It definitely seems a much slower start than the first season so far. But I hope that means this season feels a lot less rushed in its final episodes, especially given this seasons longer episode count. I felt the first season did a really good job of world building and quickly introducing interesting characters in its opening episodes. But it kinda fell apart when it focused on other characters and its wider plot in the second half.

As for any Yuri on Ice connections I doubt that the studio would have had time to factor in the success of YOI especially given that production on this was said to have started a year ago. However I wouldn't be surprised if it was a wider MAPPA thing of trying to appeal to different audiences. Although the first season did have two prettyish (I think? you can really tell I an a straight male who has no idea what he's talking about but anyway.......) boys as the primary characters, could simply be capitalising on what was already there. Yeah so.....good show good show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I think that one of the strange divergence from the first season is that the first season had quite a lot of different settings, the characters were traveling around and coming to new and interesting places each episode. This season seems to have set its focus largely on one location, which I kind of picked up so far from the difference of OPs where the first showed many of the locations flashing by in concept art like fashion, this OP seems to be highlighting the city. I was at first worried from losing something I liked about the first, but focusing on the city might work out to its favour of many sides to one location. Nina's job is helping construction in the city, which humorously contrasts to Amira's need to travel.

I think contrast is working well as we have moved from Favaro's male gaze to Nina's female gaze. There is a kind of shift that the ladies can perhaps get behind, but really that sort of stuff should not matter and is fun. Nina totally owns the ED and it feels like a sense of fun that I can really get into, and I think is putting the king up to be her interest.

As for Azazel, well I think he has been left open to be able to change, as previous leader that lorded over humans as pathetic to him he was immature and did not understand what it is like on the other side. His allies in so far as people who kind of care about him are a holy child, human, ex-human zombie, maybe gods, and a dragon, he might just learn that "others" are not just anyone but demons and get some empathy for them as those groups can have people who have empathy for his people.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
My crazy-ass, epileptic-trees theory of the day is that spoiler[Nina is Amira. Amira was 5 years old in the first series, it's been ten years since the end of the last one (which ended about half a year after the sealing of Bahamut. Nina says she's 16, so that's about right, timewise. How she escaped the seal without undoing it, and ended up with Favaro, no way to know yet. Maybe she merged with Bahamut into one being and Nina is the result, and when she transforms, that's a partially sealed Bahamut.]

Also, I think Mugaro spoiler[is Jeanne's kid], but I'm pretty sketchy on that part. I think someone posited that spoiler[Charioce was her kid], which would also work for me. Hell, I thought he was a girl until everyone kept saying he was a boy. Smile

Fire at will! Very Happy
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Azazel's takeaway from this is the suggestion that they sleep together so she can turn into a dragon and free the demons for him

Actually, I'm fairly sure that Azazel simply meant hugging and it was Nina who took it the wrong way, similarly to their interaction in episode 2 (where Azazel was all "I need you!" and "It has to be you!" and he only meant her powers, while Nina was getting all the wrong vibes). The word he uses in Japanese does technically mean embracing, and it's also commonly used euphemism for having sex.

I'm still thinking that the endgame pair for Nina, if there's any, will be Charioce - there's the third PV where she's clearly falling in love with him, and also the current ending where she survives Azazel and Kaisar, but "loses" when she meets Charioce.

And I bet Charioce is actually a dragon, too. Or a half-dragon. That would explain so many things.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Gabriella wrote:
Quote:
Fortunately for Azzie, Nina is receiving mysterious telepathic messages to go help him.

I'm pretty sure that was a very non-telepathic Kaisar...

As for who Nina will end up with, i don't really give a damn. Though it might be interesting to find out what will happen to her powers once she loses her...umm, "virgin soul".

But i'm more curious about what Azazel's plans are, also i'm pretty worried about Mugaro since pretty much everyone seems to be after him now...also, where's Favaro when you need him?!
Sachin Singh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Nina didn't telepathically learn about azazel, it was shown in the last episode that kaiser told her, I don't see how it's turning horny, maybe the reviewer is charmed by the handsome guys(no offense). one more thing that the child would be a human/demon/angel
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Also, I think Mugaro spoiler[is Jeanne's kid], but I'm pretty sketchy on that part. I think someone posited that spoiler[Charioce was her kid], which would also work for me. Hell, I thought he was a girl until everyone kept saying he was a boy. Smile

Fire at will! Very Happy

How did you get this? Seriously, how did you get this?! When I read your post last week, I thought "nah, no way!" Now it's basically confirmed: Mugaro is Jeanne's kid, and Michael's probably his dad. Good guess!
Seeing as Michael is an angel, is it possible that Jeanne is the Virgin Soul of the title, and Mugaro is an immaculately concepted savior? It's an interesting thought...
Still waiting for an explanation on how Charioce has a completely different personality when he dresses up like a commoner and sneaks into the city.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
Process of elimination, I guess. He was obviously the heterochromic child the angel was looking for since we've never seen his hidden eye. Since my wild-ass theory ruled out Amira, that kinda only left Jeanne. If other people hadn't been talking about her, even that wouldn't have occurred to me, since I kinda forgot all about her. Embarassed
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:08 am Reply with quote
I think Mugaro is Jeanne and Michael's son, but I don't think immaculate conception need be involved. If the translation I read is correct, Azazel's offers to have sex with Nina. I assume that would require him to have a human body. Why couldn't Michael adopt a human body as well? The angel that talks with Bacchus in the tunnel also adopted a human form.

I thought the exchange between Nina and Azazel in the carriage was one of best-written bits of dialogue in the show so far. Nina's lack of self-control is a pretty obvious metaphor for exploding adolescent sexuality. Azazel's offer to become her "master" and "train" her just reeks of male erotic fantasies.

There must be a specific illustrator who loves drawing Jeanne as gorgeously as possible in every shot. That was true last season and true once again in the prison cell.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:00 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
If the translation I read is correct, Azazel's offers to have sex with Nina.

I'm pretty sure that was a mistranslation, or maybe the translator didn't know what to do with the pun and just ended up translating it the way Nina took it. Earlier in the episode Nina turns into a dragon after Azazel hugs him. So in Azazel's mind this is a way to control her turning into a dragon, given how Nina, by her own admission, doesn't have much control over it by herself. So as he's thinking about how to use her strength to his own benefit, Azazel comes to the obvious conclusion: I'll just hug her every time I need her to be a dragon.

The problem is, he's an idiot so he messes up actually telling this to her. The word he says actually means to embrace, it's the same word you would use for holding your baby or holding a bunch of flowers, or holding ambition in your heart, etc. It's just that it also happens to mean having sex. Azazel meant the former, Nina understood it as the latter, they had a similar interaction in episode 2, with the joke coming from similar double meanings.

(That said, I'm pretty sure he could actually have sex with her, biologically speaking. He has a physical body, after all, and aside of some demonic mutations he's perfectly humanoid.)

yuna49 wrote:
I thought the exchange between Nina and Azazel in the carriage was one of best-written bits of dialogue in the show so far. Nina's lack of self-control is a pretty obvious metaphor for exploding adolescent sexuality. Azazel's offer to become her "master" and "train" her just reeks of male erotic fantasies.

That's absolutely not what he said, though? Even going by that translation, he never offered to train her or be her master or anything, all he's interested in is her turning into a dragon in the right moment. Azazel is immature and an idiot, but so far he's never been shown as being a sleaze. Hell, he spent much of season 1 in the company of Cerberus who might as well be running around naked, and he never once seemed to even notice her rather obvious "assets". He also captured Amira and had the chance to creep all over her, but he never did (he never even had her undressed). Even in this episode he got all embarrassed when he had to hug a fully clothed Nina.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:52 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

That's absolutely not what he said, though?

You're right, he uses the word "control" in the subtitles. I think my misremembering was the result of my reading-into the dialogue, though I still think the subtext is there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 23