• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Scrapped Princess BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I watched this on a recommendation from The "Needs More Love" page of TV Tropes and have never regretted it. Although I think the transitions to different genres is a little clumsy in the middle of the series. It is none the less a good series that I'm glad is getting a write up.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
And in Chaika...Incest jokes, incest jokes, incest jokes, done with a poorly honed sense of humor. Are fetish trends that powerful? I was curious about the manga and LN until I heard the incest references are *worse* there. Why can't we get a decent fantasy adventure with evil exploding unicorns without incest?! (or, at least, less incest?) Is that too much to ask?

I completely don't get this. Tohru and Akari are not blood-related.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm constantly bringing reference back to this show among my social circle, particularly for the philosophical pokes the show takes at the religion/belief system elements found within. I originally saw the show right as I was hitting my teen years and having been raised in a religious family, just the simple idea of "questioning what you are being told, particularly when everyone else believes they are right" was quite a bomb dropped on my thought process at that age.

More recently I had seen Maria the Virgin Witch & had so hoped that series would have held up similar themes to what I remember of Scrapped Princess, but I was fairly disappointed by the time it ended. That said, I am very excited to get my hands on the BluRay release of Scrapped Princess to see if it has aged as well as I remember it, cringey tropes & all (hint: I'm bracing myself for a rough watch).

As hard as it has been to get my hands on this up til now (would be awesome if it went up on Crunchy or Hulu), I'm glad there's an easy way to show it off when I inevitably reference it in conversation.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
And in Chaika...Incest jokes, incest jokes, incest jokes, done with a poorly honed sense of humor. Are fetish trends that powerful? I was curious about the manga and LN until I heard the incest references are *worse* there. Why can't we get a decent fantasy adventure with evil exploding unicorns without incest?! (or, at least, less incest?) Is that too much to ask?

I completely don't get this. Tohru and Akari are not blood-related.

If they were childhood friends and Tohru simply wasn't interested, it would be one thing. But they were raised together as siblings, and Tohru saw Akari as a sister. It really bothered him when she came on to him. And it wasn't just a one-off joke, it was incessant practically throughout the show. That's what made it uncomfortable for me as a viewer.

Blanchimont wrote:
meiam wrote:
It's been a really long time since I've watched it, but I'm pretty sure I remember finding the ending to be disappointing (or maybe it was rushed not sure). But I do remember most of it was pretty good.

Might have something to do with the fact anime aired 2003 and light novels ended 2005(13 volumes + 5 sidevolumes).

The novels have never been translated to English so I have no idea if the ending was canon or anime original. Tokyopop did release the three manga volumes(good luck finding those now) but that gave less than the anime story-wise...

I didn't realize the novels were completed after the anime ended. So it might have been an anime-only ending? That explains a lot... Damn, now I really want someone to translate the novels in English!
solarsun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Yes I will give the series some negative for the spoiler[amnesia] later on in the series but even with that I recommend it to a lot of people as it is. It's one of my favorite series and honestly the series is nothing but plot. There is little to no 'fan service' overall in the series. Even the one episode where it could be considered fan service has a major plot point to it.

I wish it would have gotten more recognition back when it was first released and if I hadn't wondered into an anime iowa screening room with episode two playing I probably wouldn't have found the series quite as fast.

I sat my husband down with the blurays and he watched it for the first time as I rewatched it and he enjoyed it. I love the spoiler[fantasy to sci fi twist that this series using Arthur C. Clarke's 3d law to great effect. When I got to the backstory episode where they explain the war it almost came out of left field for me. Enough so that it sold me that this story is amazingly written, even more so then sailor moon which is my #1.]
LuScr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I remember being very frustrated back when I first watched this series. The show did a terrific job of setting up intriguing plot threads, but a terrible job of following through--it felt like most of them were cut short without a satisfactory resolution. (Having a 24-episode series, rather than that era's standard 26 eps, didn't help.)

Scrapped Princess was a very good, very engrossing series, but it practically beat you over the head with the fact that it could have been so much more.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
I recall tuning in to series when it aired um... that was a decade ago... OMG Shocked I loved the series and remembered it fondly as that show where I missed the final episode because I had to enroll as a college freshman. Would have forever regretted it if anime streaming did not come into existence. I also remember this as the series that introduced me to the term "light novel".

When I watched it, I didn't find anything off with the spoiler[amnesia part, as Pacifica's time with Fulle was handled so beautifully, I almost wished she never had to get her memories back.]. For me, a lot of the frustrating events in the series - spoiler[Cin's transformation, Pacifica not knowing she was talking to her mother, Fulle's death, etc.] made the series shine even more.That reminds me, should rewatch this series sometime.
Azumi14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
I glad to add Scrapped Princess series to my collection and the ending song Daichi no la-li-la is one of my favorite songs.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Watched it not long ago and was bit surprised of how good it was gave it a 8/10 score in the end, it almost had the whole time that excitement in the end of each episode where you just cant stop and have to click the next episode^^.
onyxskies

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person that hated Pacifica and would have enjoyed the series a lot more without her? I wanted to slap her so many times...

[quote="Blanchimont"]
meiam wrote:

The novels have never been translated to English so I have no idea if the ending was canon or anime original. Tokyopop did release the three manga volumes(good luck finding those now) but that gave less than the anime story-wise...

Tokyopop released at least 3 (maybe 4) of the light novels in English (I have them around here somewhere...) but they certainly didn't finish translating/releasing before they went defunct in the US.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:37 am Reply with quote
Shameless plug: If you're interested in legally translated novels from Sakaki-sensei, J-novel Club has Bluesteel Blasphemer available right now, with Vol. 1 being released digitally in a few weeks. It's one of his newest works.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
To hear Bob's voice again after all this time would be more than enough excuse for me to get this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2