• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, Mikagura School Suite, Romeo x Juliet Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Also, since when is the Queen's English/Australian English "Yankee"?

I find it hard to believe (correct me if I am wrong) that nowadays region 2 or 4 anime DVDs are dubbed in England or Australia instead of just using the american english dub track done by funimation or sentai. Also, I could be wrong, but do they go to the lengths of tweaking the subtitles tracks into local english? I kinda doubt it.

New Zealander here. Yes Region 4/Region B discs do indeed utilise American dubs - it wouldn't make any economic sense otherwise.

As for subs, I can't recall a specific dialogue with words that differ in US/UK spelling atm so I can't be bothered to go through my discs to check...though I'm pretty sure they just use the American version (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Quote:
These have all been out on DVD, in multiple countries. I'd understand if these were Crunchyroll exclusives, but come on.

Joining in on the conversation: just because a title supposedly has a physical release in my region doesn't mean it's easy to come by/readily available or that it's a quality release. Most of the time I buy Aus/NZ discs but I'm glad I bought Rage of Bahamut on Bluray from Rightstuf 'cause there's no way I'm gonna pay for crappy DVDs (the only option on offer here) when an English BD version is clearly available.

Also, why are people living outside of North America expected to blind-buy physical media to be able to watch a show? I mean sure, we do have some legal streaming/TV exposure, but the overall catalogue is still severely lacking.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle

You asked for Region 4 DVDs. I showed you Region 4 DVDs. Being on an English-language forum about Japanese entertainment, if you are looking for languages outside of English and Japanese you are going to need to be more specific.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
@Shiroi Hane

I am usually quite specific with my comments. But the reason I was not this time should be obvious, but lets be specific. I did not because this is an english language forum. Said language has lost any rights of closed-club-atmosphere when it became the "common" or "trade" language in the modern era. For that very reason no one is surprised that many posters in this forum are from countries where english is not the native language. Your comment would make sense to me if I we were talking about any other language "Oh, so you entered a russian language anime forum but were asking about Hindi subs/dubs DVDs? Be more specific man!". For many years I have in this forum made public the country where I live; I expected to be belittled by some, but color me surprised that said fact was ignored.

So yeah, I thought that linking to a webstore in spanish would make my objective crystal clear, I will continue to be more specific from now on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2