• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Superb Anime Moms

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I was actually pleasantly surprised to see Milia Jenius on the list of awesome moms! What her entry fails to mention, however, is that Milia goes on to have six more daughters, two of which, including her youngest, Mylene, appear in Macross 7.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
A recent manga/anime mother that I feel is worth mentioning is Nana Kuramoto from Flying Witch.

A common trope in anime about teenagers with some kind of magical, psychic, or supernatural ability is that the most prominent parental figure in the story (whether it be the parent of the magical person or the magical person's non-powered friend) is either completely unaware of the supernatural goings on or they are aware but they try to not involve themselves with it. (The first examples that come to my mind are Usagi Tsukino's parents in Sailor Moon for the former and Ataru Moroboshi's parents in Urusei Yatsura for the latter.)

Nana, on the other hand, is fully involved with and supportive of the witches, even if she doesn't seem to have been gifted with any magical abilities herself, and she seems to have been very close to Akane Kowata (the older of the two Kowata witch sisters and the daughter of Nana's cousin, I think?) growing up. Nana may have even been like a surrogate older sister figure to Akane who seems to be the oldest sibling in the Kowata family. spoiler[Nana also supports her own daughter Chinatsu's decision to become a witch and Akane hints that Nana herself may know something about being a witch's apprentice even if it seems that Nana never actually manifested any magical abilities.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I would argue that Chi-chi is a terrible mother, as bad of a mother as Goku is of a father, and that they are a rare case of two wrongs making (something close to) a right.

She repeatedly ignores what Gohan wants, even now that he is a mature adult. She flat out says in Super that what Pan wants does not matter, and shows the same attitude towards Gohan.

She also shows that her 'care' for her husband and sons is more about money than anything else. She insists that Gohan go to a good school and get a good job, right up until a tournament with a 10 Million zenny prize appears. Then he can feel free to drop out and train, just so long as he wins. Similarly in Super, she wants Goku to be a mature, responsible husband, right up until Mr Satan hands Goku a briefcase with 100 million zenny. Then he can go off and do what he wants for all she cares. Not to mention that money should have easily lasted them a decade, but she manages to blow most of it in a year, and gets right back to harping on Goku. Why doesn't she try to earn them some money?

She is also shown to be much more violent than Goku, to the point if he wasn't a Saiyan, he'd have a good case for domestic abuse. Yes, Goku accidentally knocked her through a wall when he was having trouble controlling his new strength. But he never deliberately smashed their furniture in a fit of rage. Not exactly the best role model.

So no, Chi-chi does not belong on a best mothers list.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
So no, Chi-chi does not belong on a best mothers list.

Pretty much sums up my issues with Chi-Chi's alleged superb mother cred.

Quote:
The anime likes to use ChiChi's outbursts for comic relief, but there's no doubt she loves both her sons and her oaf of a husband.

She loves her sons so much that she discourages her oldest son from taking up fighting eventhough she herself is a former martial artist. While discouraging her youngest son from watching his father work because studying is far more important for a child then seeing their father harvest vegetables.

Quote:
](Sure, she had a guardian watching over them from the shadows, but the boys didn't know that.)

In the manga (and possibly the 2003 adaptation) not the Brotherhood adaptation. Meaning had Ed and Al not figured out how to fish and hunt they would've starved to death.

Quote:
she continues to care for both Edward and Alphonse after they leave home, going so far as to threaten those who might hurt them.

While ironically and comically threatening and hurting them.....or Ed anyway.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the best anime mom is a dead anime mom!
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
While I am way beyond the age of imaginary spouses (yup, said it), my first ever crush was when I was, I kid you not, 7. It was from one of the big series in Latin America in the 90s, but after dealing with a psychotic fan of the same character, I grew over it.

Now I see why some people prefer someone who comes from manga/anime... I had enough of dealing with people, but I wouldn't go back to fanmicrobeing like I did before.

Also, I'd nominate both Natsuko and Mrs. Hyuga from Captain Tsubasa as good mothers. They didn't try to break their sons' dreams.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
How is Rin Tohsaka not on the waifu list? Well, I've gone and fixed that. But she's mine, I tell you. MINE! (Insert Daffy Duck "mine, mine, all mine" loop here).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised the Anywhere Door topped the old poll. Such a brilliant and convenient gadget could help people save so much on vacations and road trips. Of course, it could also have some really negative applications (such as if criminals and the government got their grubby hands on it).

I have no interest in anime waifus at all, but I definitely selected a husbando. : D

chaccide wrote:
Looks like the best anime mom is a dead anime mom!

Damn, that's just...ouch. XD
Tai92

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
My first husbando was Atem from Yu-gi-oh! now my Husbando is Gintoki from Gintama Very Happy
BethanyP

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
Some others I'd like to just mention are Kong's mother from Ping Pong the Animation, Madoka's mother from Madoka Magica, Yasuko from Toradora!, the mother from Eccentric Family, and MHA's Inko - Deku's mother.

Yeah, I really liked Yasuko too. Far from a perfect parent, but she works hard and sacrifices a lot to try to give her son the best life and future that she can, and isn't that what it's all about?

Absolutely. I really liked how she's not a sweet domestic goddess ideal but still just as determined to do the best she can
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I would have maybe instead included Sachiko from Erased who in my opinion is one of the most memorable moms I've seen in anime. Quick-witted, kind and trusts her son, she was perhaps the best character in the show.

Yeah, Sachiko is a must-have on a list like this. The way she reacted to Satoru's revelations about Kayo was completely heart-warming. And if you're going to include someone from FMA, why not Trisha Elric herself? True, Izumi is awesome (bears!), but Trisha handled a completely-absentee husband with grace and strength, and her passing was the raison d'etre of the entire series. I'd probably include Sosuke's mom Rise from Ponyo on here too, though that may be due mostly to Tina Fey. One Piece has had a few great moms as well, people like Bellemere and Queen Otohime, though unfortunately most of them wind up being killed off in flashbacks.

And yeah, Chi-Chi is a terrible character no matter how you slice it. This is the woman who would see the entire world be destroyed so long as her son kept his nose buried in a textbook. Though if you really were going to do a "worst moms" list, Ragyo Kiryuin of Kill la Kill would have to occupy spaces 1, 2, and 3 on her own, followed closely by Medusa from Soul Eater. Maybe throw Kagome's mom from Inuyasha too: who the hell lets their teenage girl wander around with a grumpy dog-boy killing demons in the feudal era, all while wearing a damn miniskirt? Razz

As for "waifus," it'd have to be Faye Valentine or Motoko Kusanagi, even though either of them would justifiably rip your head off for calling them that. Spike said it best: I love a woman that can kick my ass. Cool
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi Suzumiya was among my first "waifu" in my early days of anime viewing. I was mesmerized by her commanding presence.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
The usual hate for Chi Chi continues. No surprise there but I agree with writer 110%, she's the only keeping that family together and I can imagine being a mother to only boys (super powered!) must be tough.

Either way, first husbando = VEGETA! Embarassed
He fell in the ranks but made a comeback due to DBS.

But NUMBER ONE right now is Hak from Akatsuki no Yona.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
...and Lovis from Sanzoku no Musume Ronja. She'll keep the order no matter how rough the household.

I was going to add her as well. Not only does she not take any crap from all the crazy men in her household, she lets Ronja explore her world for herself without helicoptering over her, simply providing the proper clothing and tasty food to facilitate her wilderness romps, and always there with lots of love when things get tough.

Top Gun wrote:
Maybe throw Kagome's mom from Inuyasha too: who the hell lets their teenage girl wander around with a grumpy dog-boy killing demons in the feudal era, all while wearing a damn miniskirt?

Heh, I was going to add her on the best moms list for that very same reason. She's raised Kagome well and trusts her judgement, and the series shows her trust isn't misplaced. Plus she's raising two kids and caring for her father on her own, though I don't recall ever hearing where the money comes from - does she have a job, or is looking after the shrine a paying gig somehow? Anyway, she's a great mom.

I also thought about nominating Reiko Tamura/Ryōko Tamiya from Parasyte. Twisted Evil If nothing else, she had the kid trained well, and she does end up spoiler[sacrificing her life for its sake.] It seemed to be none the worse for wear from her cavalier handling of it. Very Happy
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget Momoko Takamachi from MGL Nanoha, in which she allow Nanoha to venture out at night, in the faith that she would return home before it was too late in the night.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4