• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gamers! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
But, honestly, it's bothering me how we're just supposed to believe the most popular girl in school is head over heels for the school nerd. Can we please get a good reason for this soon? It feels so hollow right now.

I agree. With all due respect to my fine Finnish friend, Cam0, this feels so standard LN wish-fulfillment nonsense that it hurts. All will be forgiven if the show pulls something out of its hat that explains this, though. I did love the revelation that Aguri was interested in Tasuku during his geek phase. I really hope this results in him treating her better.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:20 am Reply with quote
Defending her and her club so passionately that he almost killed a man isn't a good reason?

Besides, rather than looking at them as the popular girl and the geeky guy, look at them as being on equal footing because they're both Gamers! (roll credits).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:03 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Defending her and her club so passionately that he almost killed a man isn't a good reason?

Except that her obsession with him started long before that happened. Maybe he saved her from a barking dog when they were kids?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:07 am Reply with quote
Her obsession didn't turn romantic until after that scene imo.

But it's not uncommon for people who can easily get whatever they want to be fixated on the one thing they can't have.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:31 am Reply with quote
We already have a geek turned popular person, so my current theory is that despite her role she probably likes how he can show his geeky side, she looked up to how he can kind of show his passion for games. She apparently chose the school because of the game club, so I am thinking she has wanted to be more forward about her hobby. She tried to recruit people for the club, but was probably not totally enjoying it in being surrounded by the competitive players, before putting her sights on someone who might be more her level where she found him. But in trying to get him to join he turned her down, somewhat being quite open with the problem she has had, where the mix of that, the allure of being turned down despite her own charms that she is probably aware as a school idol (not that it is personal), and finally that little defence, it has finally hit crush level.

Simply put, I think she is a gamer despite her idol like appearance and had a tough time finding someone to connect with, where those she found have not quite worked out, and actually finds it a positive trait to so easily show his passion. Most probably wish fulfilment. But if that is the case, apparently she did not realise that there is another gamer in just her class, the main character's gaming buddy I think.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Her obsession didn't turn romantic until after that scene imo.

Nah, it was super obvious before that. Her whole meltdown in the classroom firmly established she had deeper feelings for bland wish-fulfillment MC than just "zomg, I'm so impressed with his passion for gaming." The whole reason she saw the thing on the bridge was that she was stalker-ishly stalking him.

I'm going with the barking dog theory.

In fact, the classroom meltdown scene is the prime indicator we are in wish-fulfillment territory. I mean, it's not enough that the idol of the whole school is besotted with bland-o, right? Nah, we gotta go farther. Her (totally inexplicable) desperation has to be witnessed by the class and be the subject of conversation through-out the school. Methinks the author tapped directly into his nerdy fantasies from high school.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
Well yeah, I guess there is wish-fulfillment. But her crush was played as kind of a funny thing instead of something romantic. Also I guess I was just so surprised how she didn't have that big of a role in the 2nd episode not to mention that the main character declined her offer to join the game club, twice even. Also the ratio of male to female characters has been fairly balanced. DuskyPredator mentioned Netoge which is also a light novel adaption. In that the male lead is like the only dude I remember from the show. All the other major characters were girls. Same thing with something like Haganai. I just find this show much more believable and relatable than the usual wish-fulfillment LN adaption fare.

Now, of course, the next episode will most likely show the girl who Amano plays with. Well, I think we did see her at the end of episode 2. She'll probably turn out to be another love interest and a hidden beauty. I'm guessing she is that short-haired girl from the opening and ending. That will be combined with Tendou acting all jealous that Amano is interacting with another girl. That would totally be wish-fulfillment fantasy so I slightly hope it doesn't turn out like that. If it does then no biggie as long as the focus of the show remains as it has been and doesn't turn into Tendou and sexy geek girl fighting over Amano or something (which I doubt will happen).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The whole reason she saw the thing on the bridge was that she was stalker-ishly stalking him.

She just hadn't given up on inviting him to the game club. She didn't get hearts in her eyes until the bridge.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Well yeah, I guess there is wish-fulfillment. But her crush was played as kind of a funny thing instead of something romantic.

That's because this is a comedy: the romance is being played (and played well) for its comedic value.

I agree with Blood- (and stated this earlier as well) that Tendou has had feelings for Amano for some time prior to her inviting him to join the club. Do I know what Tendou sees in him? Not really, but for whatever reason she does like him. Is it wish-fulfillment? Yeah, probably. But it's being handled reasonably well, and I'm liking the humor in it.

The main thing, IMO, that keeps me liking this show is that it knows what needs to be taken relatively seriously, and what should be played around with. It has a good sense of its boundaries and limitations and utilizes them well. It also takes some time to build up its story elements. I'm looking forward to see where things go from here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Blood- wrote:
The whole reason she saw the thing on the bridge was that she was stalker-ishly stalking him.

She just hadn't given up on inviting him to the game club. She didn't get hearts in her eyes until the bridge.

Oh God, is that your standard for when you are prepared to believe she has romantic feelings for him? Oi vey. Shouldn't be surprised. This is the standard Vaisaga "I can't concede a single point in any discussion at any itme because... because..." I dunno, because it's uncool or something? As you can tell from other posts in this thread, others besides me noted the SUPER OBVIOUS long before then.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Now please don't eat me but I'm not sure if I'm convinced that Tendou had romantic feelings towards Amano before the bridge scene. I did think Tendou was oddly obsessed with Amano even during the first episode. She stayed outside with Amano long enough to seemingly lose track of time. That park scene was setting a nice mood for the two and Tendou told Amano things she hadn't told to her friends. She had blush lines and sakura leaves were flowing in the air. Then the next day Tendou takes Amano to see the game club and turns out there's another dude there as well who had also been scouted by Tendou. The show made us (and Amano) think that Amano was somehow special and then destroyed that illusion when Misuki was introduced.

So I thought that the hottest girl in school was stalking the loser male lead was because she... didn't... want to... give up? I dunno, maybe she just wants the game club to be livelier? Maybe it's the classic "we need more members or the club will disbanded" and Amano clearly having interest in gaming makes him the most likely person to join?

To be honest, I think Tendou having had feelings for Amano long before she asked him to join and Tendou falling for Amano during that bridge are both likely. That deceptive thing this show did during the first episode makes me think its the latter. General anime cliches make me think it could the former. Maybe we'll get that flashback scene of Amano saving Tendou from a barking dog, maybe we won't. I don't know yet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Et tu, Brutus?

The trouble with thinking that Tendou didn't have romantic feelings for Amano until the bridge scene is that then we have to assume she is completely mentally unhinged. If she truly only had platonic feelings for him and just wanted him to join the club so that she'd have another person to play games with, then her melt-down in the classroom makes zero sense. To me, that scene in th classroom only makes sense (and not much at that) if she is already harboring romantic feelings for him. Tasuku certainly believes she does. Is he an idiot?
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh, right. The classroom scene. I, uh.. already forgot about that one... even though you mentioned it previously. It boggles my mind sometimes how I do reasonable well in the character guessing game and the quote guessing game despite being horrible at remembering some things.

Yeah, looking back at that scene I'm not sure why Amano declining her invite would make her cry unless Amano was somehow special to her. I think when I saw that scene I didn't really think about any of that scene's romantic implications since the scene was mostly played for laughs.

I don't know what to think anymore.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Which is why you should simply accept all my opinions, blindly! Wink
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
*with empty eyes and a monotone voice*

Yes.... Master.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6