• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Air Outlaw Star Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Outlaw Star was also part of the original Adult Swim Action lineup and still didn't show the Hot Springs episode.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Huh! I guess Funimation offered it to them on the cheap.......... wait, people could wind up complaining over how the opening theme might be edited.

Basically CN barely pays attention to studio license anymore EXCEPT for whatever fight serial Viz is still running or whatever the generous hand of Funi gives them--
Because it gave them Death Note, Attack on Titan, and......Shin-chan.

We're assuming they're not expecting another Shin-chan this time, like they did with the Frog.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Shocked Really????? If they're bring back Outlaw Star, they can bring back Cowboy Bepop, too.

No. We don't need the 446672972115th showing of Bebop

As for OS, like how bad is the nudity? Can't it just be covered up with some pixels? You would still get the effect of the scene without physically seeing the nudity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
This block grows more pointless every time I read something about it. It feels like a hyper-insular, special little club that airs the same ten shows on a loop.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
This block grows more pointless every time I read something about it. It feels like a hyper-insular, special little club that airs the same ten shows on a loop.

Well, there is a reason even the block's fans refer to it as "Jason Demarco's MyAnimeList".
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
AWW YESS!!! Good Shit Toonami! I Knew they were going for this GEM!
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
nagpo wrote:
Perhaps Outlaw Star is something they want to produce a sequel to

For us to get all disappointed to like the Berserk sequel anime.
And Big O can also get a sequel show in my dreams also.

It'd be pretty amazing if Big O rose from the dead a second time. I'd love to see it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I hope they air it uncensored!
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Huh! I guess Funimation offered it to them on the cheap.......... wait, people could wind up complaining over how the opening theme might be edited.

That would be a valid complaint though....

Any complaint that involves editing the opening theme in an anime on US TV (where commercial times are longer than in Japan) that you can easily find on Youtube is NEVER valid to me.

I've seen too much bitching over an opening them being edited on Toonami that 95% of the time you can easily watch anywhere else with a few mouse clicks.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Shocked Really????? If they're bring back Outlaw Star, they can bring back Cowboy Bepop, too.
they've been airing Bebop non stop for like a decade, it needs a rest.
Scottran7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news! It would be interesting if they could air the whole thing in it's uncut glory. But my guess is something nudity wise will be censored or skipped. I too think they will probably air the Hot Springs episode but it probably will be severely shortened.

It would be cool if it got a sequel of some sort after this, but let's hope it has enough good funding behind it so it's not a terrible sequel we wish we had never wanted. Sad Anyway, it's good to see it back on TV better looking than ever before.

Keep up the good programming choices Toonami!
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
Guess Funi wants a little bit of advertising for the new BD? Well, nice to see the classic back on tv.

Takkun4343 wrote:
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

Well, there is a reason even the block's fans refer to it as "Jason Demarco's MyAnimeList".

Well, to be fair, toonami apparently gets done because the team puts in the extra effort to get it done, so without them, it'd just be the same as any other night.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
I love Outlaw Star and I'm glad to see it back on Toonami after all these years. I hope Toonami can bring back some other older classics like Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing. Is the hot springs episode really that scandalous that it still needs to be censored at a 2:30 a.m. timeslot in 2017? I feel like it's fairly tame compared to most of today's modern moe fanservice shows. It's not like No Game No Life or something and I don't see it as that much more offensive than South Park.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
The problem is the nudity. Most likely, they'll use the same route they used for the original airings with Melfina, and give everyone swimsuits.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Konopan wrote:
Are they actually going to air the uncensored version? Wondering how people who watched it back in the day will react to that scene where Gene hires a prostitute in the first episode
Really they edited that out? When ti aired in the UK in the early 00s they kept that scene, oh and aired the hot spring episode.

Nope, no hot springs over here. I didn't even know--or remember--that part of episode one, and I first saw the series on Toonami, so I guess that confirms that as well. And now I need to go actually watch the R1 video release to see if I can warp my fragile mind. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3