• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Classic Anime Tropes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly enough, the Dragon Half OVA (based on a shonen manga) uses its own unique twist on the shoujo stairs (considering the setting).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tehyar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
What about: anyone who gets wet from rain or being splashed always falls sick with a cold. A plot device to serve the sick visit. I've seen this trope more often than I can count, possibly more than any other on this list.

Or maybe this isn't a trope and it actually happens to the Japanese? Laughing That would be unfortunate. I enjoy the rain quite a lot.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I can't believe that shouting at the top of you're lungs before you attack someone isn't on the list it's literally in every Anime action series ever made. Rolling Eyes

There's nothing actually anime-specific about that. It's just an extension of the classic warrior's battle cry, which has been an integral part of warfare throughout its history and could probably be said to have its origins in the bellows that many animals use to intimidate adversaries.

tehyar wrote:
What about: anyone who gets wet from rain or being splashed always falls sick with a cold. A plot device to serve the sick visit. I've seen this trope more often than I can count, possibly more than any other on this list.

Again, that's not an anime-specific thing. It's actually a widespread belief in Japan and probably part of the reason why umbrella use is much more pronounced there than in the West.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd like to see this lampshaded at some point, with a character yelling at everything on the beach to let us know what it is. "Crab! Seaweed! Towel! Drink Stand!"

I've actually seen that trope lampshaded plenty of times, but never like that.

...I mean... that isn't even what it means for something to be lampshaded......

Wait a tick, come to think of it, I can actually remember one time I saw that very thing done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
One trope related to #6 is the rich jerk Student Club President or Class Rep (male) who is the top student at everything who will force the Best Girl to be his if not for the protagonist

Then there is the unlikely trio/quartet/etc. of friends consisting of Tsundere, Airhead, Genius, Athlete, Creep, Rowdy, etc. in one permutation or another after Azumanga Daiyo and Ouran HHC

Let's not forget that most series have Christmas and Valentine's/White Day episodes whether it makes sense or not

Many more tropes than these too...

I also love that Heavy Object had the (sort of) villain be identified as Miss Ohoho because she did the evil "Ohoho" laugh all the time

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Best example of #4 ever (pretty innocuous, but maybe nsfw if your work is really strict?):

http://i67.tinypic.com/347v29k.jpg (Comical Psychosomatic Medicine #6)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1. At Our School Cultural Festival, We're Having a Maid Cafe

The girls' vote, usually winning out over the boys' vote for a haunted house--
The same two ideas that keep coming up first, as Azumanga Daioh parodied.

Quote:
Colloquial called "shōjo stairs," the female protagonist will somehow fall down her school stairs, be it forward or backward.

And if it's ecchi comedy, body-switching will occur. A noted hazard of group stairway falls or head concussions.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
#2. "Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Wait, why are we getting so excited about something that's so incredibly common in our world?"

I read this exact joke idea in a Piraro strip some time ago, but the #2 entry here kind of reminded me of that; people inexplainably getting totally excited about something fairly commonplace. So thanks, Supes.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What I've never understood is how there is always one character who runs down the sand then screams "ocean!" at the top of their lungs towards the waves.

Well,
A) they don't shout "Umi!", they usually shout "Umiumiumiumiumi! Anime smallmouth ", which rather suggests enthusiasm,
likely due to the fact that
B ) they live in the city and don't actually GET to the ocean all that often, except for expensive train trips.

(As also parodied on Azumanga, when Tomo, on their Okinawa class trip, first sees "Look, the sky, i-it's....blue!!", and understandably freaks out.)

Quote:
The first character to bust out the iconic chortle was Ranma 1/2's deadly gymnast, Kodachi. Card Captor Sakura's love-rival Meilin, Nanami from Utena, Esmeraude from Sailor Moon, Ayeka from Tenchi Muyo!, and Naga from Slayers are all guilty of laughing this way.

Might have to paternity a date on Kodachi vs. Esmeraude (and which came earlier in the manga).
And as Naga warns all pretenders, only the truly superior can even hope to master a true Superior Laugh to rival the experienced champions.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
#4 is one of my least favorite "classic" tropes. It's not classic to me, its just annoying and unfair.

Last edited by Heishi on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Superfield

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll have you know that haunted house has happened several times in Precure.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Best example of #4 ever (pretty innocuous, but maybe nsfw if your work is really strict?):http://i67.tinypic.com/347v29k.jpg (Comical Psychosomatic Medicine #6)
Thanks, now I really want to see how that happens...Another trope: the unbelievably clueless guy when it comes to girls/romance/relationships. Why is the list only 6? It could have been 8 or 10 easily.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
One of the classic tropes that is especially related to the harem/fan service is what TVTropes calls a "Moment Killer". In crass language, it rhymes with mock clock.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I've seen a couple of "evil oujo-sama" characters in recent shows, but they tend to be more complex than their original incarnations. Diana in Little Witch Academia clearly draws on this tradition, including her adoring followers Hannah and Barbara, but Diana has a lot more depth and grows considerably over the series.

Heh, you beat me to the punch on this one. I'm a bit over halfway through the series, but it's been refreshing seeing Diana mostly avert that trope, despite her "ohohoho" retinue. Now Nanami, on the other hand, is the living embodiment of it. Very Happy

And yes, the accidental grope needs to die in the hottest blazing inferno. I'm not convinced anyone's found it legitimately funny after 1996 or so.
tehyar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

tehyar wrote:

Again, that's not an anime-specific thing. It's actually a widespread belief in Japan and probably part of the reason why umbrella use is much more pronounced there than in the West.

Maybe. Based on what I've seen, it seems a more likely reason that umbrella usage is more pronounced is because it's rude to others to be very wet, whether putting them out at the job or on a train.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4