• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's With All the Bondage Humor in Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:15 am Reply with quote
I will be honest and say that unless it is a fan service, adult anime, or harem show, I don't think this should be going in an anime.
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:50 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Seif wrote:
Jesus Christ, Justin. You know you're shit.

You might want to remove that extra " ' " from that.... Just saiyan....

Nah man. Imma leave it for posterity.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
The X-men Hellfire club also happened in the 70s:

They even made it on the 90s X-men toon with an unchanged wardrobe for Emma:

What they did to Jean is actually pretty messed up in retrospect yet the comic still passed the Comic Code.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
The first season of the Pokémon anime had a BDSM episode unedited as kids wouldn't understand. It's also used for speculation that James is a homosexual, even though the contrary is inferred from his strict wealthy upbringing and arranged marriage.
Kojiro being gay was just one of the many things the dub added that wasn't present in the original.

But yes, you can still find bondage stuff in kids anime these days. Whether it's dominatrix outfits or more blatant whipping stuff while characters getting orgasmic faces. It hasn't gone away. A more recent Pocket Monsters example was in XY when Eureka is trying to break up Citron and a girl by telling her "My brother enjoys having a Arboc wrap him up and squeeze him while he's in his underwear" with a cutaway shot of it but it backfires because the girl is into that kinda stuff too.

residentgrigo wrote:
The X-men Hellfire club also happened in the 70s:

They even made it on the 90s X-men toon with an unchanged wardrobe for Emma:

What they did to Jean is actually pretty messed up in retrospect yet the comic still passed the Comic Code.

Comics were all about sexy costumes and fantasies back in day. You had entire books like She-Hulk and Power Girl designed around the premise. Wonder Woman's original weakness was being tied up by a man. Not so much nowadays with the current editors focusing on diversity and progressiveness at DC and Marvell, but back in the day there was little different between comics and manga. Ms. Marvel was probably the biggest change from then and now

-Stuart Smith
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Kojiro being gay was just one of the many things the dub added that wasn't present in the original.

Except he isn't, period. It's just people with way too much on their hands time floating around all sorts of fan theories from his sexuality to Ash/Satoshi being in a coma since the first episode.

Keep in mind localization has a history of turning feminine male characters into females, while editing out large boobs from female characters.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yatterman was also a huge, blow-the-doors-off hit, so it too raised the ire of the PTA and other parental groups

You could say the PTA was fit to be tied
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Which reminds me, there was a live-action drama on Crunchyroll a few years ago about a detective who used bondage on people to get them to tell him what he wanted, while working under some woman, as they were purposefully secluded from the rest of the department.. I forget what the hell the show was called though.
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:
Yatterman was also a huge, blow-the-doors-off hit, so it too raised the ire of the PTA and other parental groups

You could say the PTA was fit to be tied

To which the only inevitable reply has to be...

Gag me...

(sorry, it was what ran through my head when I read your low hanging fruit joke and mine sunk even lower...)
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Which reminds me, there was a live-action drama on Crunchyroll a few years ago about a detective who used bondage on people to get them to tell him what he wanted, while working under some woman, as they were purposefully secluded from the rest of the department.. I forget what the hell the show was called though.

I believe this is it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2