• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
I had lost hope that Kagura's boyfriend arc would ever be animated once they skipped it and started with the series of non-stop badassery. But lo-and-behold -- it has finally appeared! Thank all the shiny bald heads above, I get to see all the dad's in their full crazy animated glory. I had to pause the episode to cheer heavily when I saw what arc it was they were animating.

(Now if Sorachi will just give me some Okita and Kagura moments in the manga, my life will be complete)
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Holy bejeesus, Osomatsu-san’s season premiere came back guns blazing! The first half lampooning their ridiculous popularity in Japan, and the second half having them make a “proper” show. Everything made me laugh so hard in the way only this show can accomplish. God, I missed these garbage jerks so much. Laughing

Oh, BTW, the OP and ED are both fantastic.
Edl01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The new season has started! While I certainly enjoyed what I watched in Summer, I hope there's a few more shows worth sticking with this time around.

Love Live Sunshine episode 0 isn't worth watching at all. I watched it in hope that we'd get some slight answers concerning the original series' sudden inconclusive ending, but it's a full on recap episode with a pretty lackluster trailer attached. DUD!

The reason I mention that is because it almost caused me to skip Idolm@ster Side M episode 0!!! Which woulda been a bloody shame cos' I loved Side M's Jupiter episode. As you can tell quite easily I love my Idol's and Side M was pretty much everything I wanted! Of course that isn't much...I just want the charm of the original series' with dudes.

The reviewers make it seem to me like it may not be worthwhile watching standalone if you have yet to watch the original series, but considering the original is an underwatched Gem featuring fantastic vignettes by some of Gainax's best I'd recommend just watching that too. Of course Side M doesn't have such an incredible line-up of industry legends, but I have no doubt the remaining staff can still make something exceptional, a belief bolstered by such a strong premiere.

UQ Holder was...Fine...Acceptable...I mean it wasn't bad enough for me to dislike it, but also not particularly good enough for me to find it very memorable outside of that one Kizumonogatari scene. If I hear good things I may give it another shot...

Last edited by Edl01 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Its nice to see at least one reviewer liked SideM. I definitely agree that the original is the best idol series I've seen.

I've only seen an episode or so of Negima, so I agree with Theron on its accessibility to newcomers, as at first I thought I made a mistake trying to jump in here, but it wasn't too bad after they got to the main timeline. There was some nice animation here, and while I don't expect this to be a consistent feature, some every now and again would be appreciated. Yukihime was rather appealing as well, so I'll probably keep with this, though I don't know that it will be such a loss that Strike got it.

The premiere of Osomatsu 2 was a damn fine episode. Nice to see that all three of my most anticipated shows made a great premiere, though AMB hasn't started being broadcast yet. There was a lot of great stuff in the episode, but I think my favorite part was when they formed a proper super robot for a proper parody of the genre.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm really confused at the word "transgressive" at the start of the Osomatsu preview. It doesn't make any sense to me. The root word, "transgress" means to violate a law or rule, and that doesn't really make any sense for the rest of the sentence.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Even if the rest of the fall shows should all turn out to be total crap, ep. 1 of Osomatsu-san would still easily turn this into a great season (and well, there's always Gintama)! Cool Laughing

What a time to be alive! Very Happy
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:

UQ Holder was...Fine...Acceptable...I mean it wasn't bad enough for me to dislike it, but also not particularly good enough for me to find it very memorable outside of that one Kizumonogatari scene. If I hear good things I may give it another shot...

i wouldnt go that far. its pretty much what we expected. a series faithful towards the original source materials. but considering this is an akamastu piece, just how faithful will it be is the question. will it be like soul eater & the first negima where its faithful at first but then go completely filler mode afterwards? or will the series be fully loyal to the manga?

whatever the case its definitely gonna be interesting for UQ Holder! especially if Funi is able to license the series for its future english dub version is definitely going to bea real nut to crack.

i mean with laura bailey (evangeline's & ayaka's original va) have pretty much voicing exclusively to only video game roles and those from US cartoons, specifically those marvel series, getting a replacement to do the older and younger versions of yukihimie is gonna be a massive can of worms Funi will have to figure out! not to mention that a majority of the cast (excluding konoka, negi and asuna's VAs) might not even be voicing anymore considering how long its been since a negima series have been dubbed.

and if there is real interest in the series, that will need to be addressed sooner rather than later! ESPECIALLY if their planing to do a simuldub!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm really confused at the word "transgressive" at the start of the Osomatsu preview. It doesn't make any sense to me. The root word, "transgress" means to violate a law or rule, and that doesn't really make any sense for the rest of the sentence.

What I found seems pretty fitting. "Relating to fiction, cinematography, or art in which orthodox cultural, moral, and artistic boundaries are challenged by the representation of unconventional behavior and the use of experimental forms." Even in terms of violating a rule or law, the abundance of explicit parodies that got the first episode pulled eventually would fit as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I mean, that's not a term I would use for Osomatsu-san. It doesn't challenge morals, or artistic convention at all from the episodes I've seen of it. I would say Yuasa's older work is transgressive for instance or even Aku no Hana. Unless Osomatsu-san changes drastically from the 4 episodes I saw then I'm just perplexed.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Was it me or was fat-Karamatsu supposed to be Barry White?

CG Jyushimatsu was one thing, but live action Todomatsu just took the biscuit.

What with Iyami going to Trump Tower, and Hato-bou channelling Steve Jobs, all in all a great start to the series.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I mean, that's not a term I would use for Osomatsu-san. It doesn't challenge morals, or artistic convention at all from the episodes I've seen of it. I would say Yuasa's older work is transgressive for instance or even Aku no Hana.

^I mean if skits like that doesn't fit the definition zrnzle500 posted then I don't know what would.
Quote:
Unless Osomatsu-san changes drastically from the 4 episodes I saw then I'm just perplexed.

Ah makes sense now.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It doesn't challenge morals, or artistic convention at all from the episodes I've seen of it.

It's transgressive in the same way that early '00s American cable cartoons like Drawn Together or Moral Orel were transgressive: despite not really doing anything that indie/art school animation hadn't been doing for decades, they all had just the right mix of popularity, bizarreness, and inappropriateness to make people stand up and take notice.
Calico

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Question: Will the netflix exclusive(s) get three-episode previews like they did in the previous season?
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Gintama. - Once again Gintama somehow manages to get me in stitches right off the bat, just like in the 3rd season starting up with a short comedic recap (beautifully referencing Kemono Friends) before starting up with the main content. The first half stayed strong the whole way through though at points in the second half I did feel like it was dragging a bit, nevertheless the way the "two papa's" played off each put it off to a great start.

Osomatsu-san - Although excepting to prefer the opening episode of Gintama judging by my past experiences with both series', it was this show which I found more entertaining, getting to a near flawless start. Opening up with the younger Osomatsu brothers taking a looking at what type of people they will become in the future, I expected them to just be in shock viewing their current selves that I know. But no, it was hilariously much worse than that, with their having mutated somehow to give them terrifying appearances (and of course gaining a enormous fanbase). So having their future selves they try to change there ways and all seemingly becoming "proper" adults and running into a "proper momentary crisis" it ends with a perfect scene of the brothers in self denial repeated muttering "No, no, no" giving the show in my opinion the perfect premiere.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

whatever the case its definitely gonna be interesting for UQ Holder! especially if Funi is able to license the series for its future english dub version is definitely going to bea real nut to crack.
and if there is real interest in the series, that will need to be addressed sooner rather than later! ESPECIALLY if their planing to do a simuldub!

it's licensed by sentai so I don't really see how Funi would do the dub for it...
also I don't think sentai is really into the simuldubbing game. (might be wrong, i don't pay heaps of attention to dubs)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 37