• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hinamatsuri (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Oh my.
The first half was pretty funny, with Hina meeting Nitta's mother and sister, especially as they got skewered as their own kind of crazy which seems to make up adults in this show. Especially good laugh out of the sister getting angry at Hina attacking ants with fireworks, before she herself drowned them with beer as part of survival of the fittest. Hina seems to really have been welcomed into the family,

But the second half, now that was emotional, and probably the best Anzu segment yet. The homeless are getting kicked out of the park, and Anzu will have to leave them. They did seem to find a very good couple to take in Anzu though, being very understanding of her, and the man especially great in trying to talk Anzu out of her teaching of needing to work to be fed, but understanding that it was what she had left of people that mean a lot to her. Anzu cried, the couple cried and I cried.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
I suspected more fuzzy feels from this show, but not tears. Well I actually teared up a bit at the end.
Crext

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
Glad that homeless stuff is over, I just constantly found it sad rather than funny.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
My (not so local) anime club watched the first episode of this yesterday...and spent most of it laughing our asses off. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

The idea of HIna deciding to run for student council has to be up there in hilariously crazy twists of the show. From the reaction of the teacher saying she must be crazy, to Nitta splashing water on his face in disbelief, to the yakuza taking it so seriously, the whole thing was hilarious. And the speech that was amazingly well researched, but Hina could still make it weird, and then being devastated and never showing up after only being secretary, leading Hitomi getting the short end again.

There was also another strong Anzu segment, pulling at the heartstrings as she us adjusting. And a mixed segment, that I would say Nitta kind of sabotaging himself. Recklessly hurting Hina, feeling guilty about it, likely talking only about Hina, and the display with the "stepmom".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

For an episode that looked like it would be so serious, things sure got hilarious. Especially with the girl who thought she too could get powers, and quickly got a big head she thought she had them, with the most hilariously embarrassing classroom scene. And that was a girl who accidentally called the teacher "mummy" earlier in the episode.

But also, the incredibly low expectations that they had for what Hina would be like, that the woman had to check if she could greet someone. The bit with the dog and how it was could not just stay a mere prop for the one test too. Anzu actually playing the role of straight man.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Okay, we finally had the island thing that we see in the opening, it is both really funny and really sad. Actually, really funny because it is sad, the girl pretty much instantly creating Wilsons out of the coconuts, and putting them as Hina and Anzu, voicing them with their personalities. The Hina coconut naturally almost entirely just says "feed me", which is funny in resemblance to Hina, but also that this perfectly nice girl sees her as just that, the voices were also good. And it seemed to take months for her positivity to run out in being a crazy girl talking to coconuts, before finally deciding she should leave.

And then, I can only think of the girly bar (cabaret) cheering scene, that could match the yakuza congratulating Nitta on his promotion, after they put him in a barrel that they filled with cement, before find out that he not only did not try to steal the leadership role but was super loyal and trying to keep order.

Hina, as expected, sucks as throwing parties. But she tried, so that should have been worth something.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Things got even weirder for Hitomi, pretty much becoming a serious worker, in the sense she is doing several jobs while living at an impressive apartment. We got the OP bit of Hitomi crying, which was Utako strongarming Hitomi into an expensive apartment. I don't know the Japanese laws, but I know that in my country a minor that would be Hitomi's age can actually get out of such contracts, without any negative consequence, contract laws usually has provisions for minors to prevent being taken advantage of like she has been.

And, Anzu seemed to use up all her luck at once, with it getting wasted because of another useless adult. She actually had a large amount of money there for a moment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Kind of funny that the show had a satisfying conclusion for a season, just halfway through the episode, leaving it confusing where it could go from there. After Hina revealed her power to her friends in a crisis and they were saved from the mountains. What I found one of the funniest jokes was that Hina's response to the others kept being "feed me" (gohan), the exact same thing that that Mao would keep having her fake Hina say, that after all this time it was surprisingly accurate. Which is a nice transition to the second half of the episode.

The second half of episode went right back to the beginning of the show, which was 3 years later, Mao's fighting to get to Hina. As learned from the rest of the show, whenever something looks serious, the stakes are going to turn out to be really different. Mao's story indeed seemed pretty important as she went through quite a bit, but really she spent years pretending to be a master martial artist, while just using her powers that actually meant there really was not much of a risk beyond her keeping up the façade. This story as usual had adults being terrible, and kids just having to deal with it, but I also funny that she is kind of a bit crazy with her fake Hina and Anzu, with her and the rocker both thinking the other is crazy. And to think it is the rocker as apparently an online friend of Hina, that kicks up this event for poor lost Mao. And we got credits of the entire Mao story, which really only spanned two episodes, or really a single episode if you count them just being halves. Bur rather than cheap, it feels hilarious in there being quite the story just wedged in.

And that feels like one of the biggest strengths of the show, that despite whatever straight plot it could do, it managed to really fit stories like Hina's, Anzu's, and Hitomi's, which all could have been their own series, have different emotional of comedy payoffs, but all fit together. Hinamatsuri was great, how it could get to laugh your guts out, to cry from emotion, and none of it feel like it clashed. There is something special about it, how it could even do all of that, while the yakuza being a good portion of the show. While I had complained lately that I had been finding a lot of anime a problem, Hinamatsuri never was, and always had my attention, to me it was anime of the season. In some ways it feels like it has things in common along the lines of a zany comedy like Nichijou, but with a narrative that would always move forward, where things that might just be a joke at first, would actually be something that had a real impact on the story, which is great and all too rare.

I give a rating of Excellent (9/10), pretty great show, with no real problems, only not quite having an amazing element to be considered a masterpiece. But still really high praises. I would really like a second season, the end of the season even felt like it invited such a thing with its time skip. But I am also really happy with what we got, and am sure to remember it fondly, as well as buy it if I see it out, as I can imagine watching it again, maybe in English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2