• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaguya-sama: Love is War (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:50 am Reply with quote
Just watched the 2nd season, it was brilliant. I also would have liked to see more Chika, Hayasaka and also maybe Shirogane's little sis. But the whole cast of Kaguya-sama is so strong that the show isn't held back at all even when characters don't get as much screen time as one would want. I gotta say that I have deep appreciation for Kaguya's VA. The way she can so well capture Kaguya's ice queen mode and full on deredere mode is so brilliant. I also really like Chika's VA, it was really her role in Demon Girl Next Door that made me appreciate how good she at somehow delivering lines in a way that makes jokes funnier (sell a joke? Is that a proper idiom?). The narrator in this show is also great at that. Actually, all the VA's in this show are great at that.

I just love this show so much. Rated it Excellent just like the first season.

P.S. The opening is awesome.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:31 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 12 (season finale)

Well, it finally happened, these crazy kids actually confessed their feelings. Miyuki actually went above and beyond by doing a super romantic display, by stealing all of the heart balloons, with the plan of them springing out at the after festival bonfire. He even managed to distract Chika by making up the Phantom thief thing, because clearly she would put her nose into the romantic gesture, but would be way too distracted by a mystery to actually realise what was happening.

I again don't think too much shook up, but I did enjoy my time. I think that I previously complained about less Chika in season 2, but in the 3rd season, but I kind of thought that there were some perfect plots with her. The Chika teaches Miyuki something are probably my favourite jokes in the whole show. Additionally a favourite returning character interaction from the second season is Kaguya with Miyuki's dad, him being the one person that can straight up destroy all her defences.

My rating is going to be Very good (8/10).
MaritLage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:48 am Reply with quote
Shows like this seem to be the logical conclusion of people who , like the Big Bad in the 2021 horror video game The Medium (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f5NSArpKhTo) , use the putting on of other peoples· skins as both a recreational practice and a means of power exchange . Suffice to say , those aren·t JiJi-san and HaHa-san , yet they·ve obviously been made to look just like these characters . If there were ever any sort of Watcher or Regulatory body , it seems that it would become increasingly necessary to gain the ability to parse such intensely subtle differentiations between OCs and CopyCat , well , "copyright violators" .

What do you do with an Xtra Pet? Ka .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:45 am Reply with quote
Perfect. They completely stuck the landing. Amid my laughter, I did kind of mist up as I thought back on Shirogane and Shinomiya's three season journey, the old Beatles' song, "The Long and Winding Road" playing in my head. Chika Fujiwara, one of the great comedic inventions. Actually, loved all the secondary characters, not a dud in the bunch. Need I bother adding that this got an automatic Excellent rating from me?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:05 am Reply with quote
It is great how all of our concerns from the first page were addressed eventually, although it certainly took awhile to redeem Ishigami. I have a feeling that there are those that were so put off by Ishigami initially that they refuse to take his redemption seriously. People do not like to be shown they are wrong, even in a story like this, so they decided to hate on him and refused to reverse and admit his biggest fault is being Awkward AF.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Are you basing this on anything or making assumptions? Because I know people who thought Ishigami borderline ruined the show at first but thought his character arc was fantastic.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:50 pm Reply with quote
It's right in the sentence that it's just a feeling, based on half-remembered comments in the larger articles. But no, not meant to be a grand statement, just a bit of pessimism about the inability of people, especially on the internet, to accept an opinion of theirs could be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:27 am Reply with quote
The First Kiss That Never Ends (4-episode TV broadcast version)

One of my favourite rom-com titles of all time. I've always found the humour and characters of Kaguya-sama fantastic. I'm not familiar with the source material so I'm not sure if this movie adapts the last of the manga or not. Certainly, the story is over. The President and Kaguya have finally negotiated all the obstacles they've put up and made it to the real version other. A very satisfying ending, imo. My only qualm with this four episode batch was in episode 3 when we were reminded of what a horrendous upbringing Kaguya had. She wanted for nothing in a material sense, but the emotional abuse was horrifying. For me, it represented an unwelcome reminder of reality in what I prize as a comedy situation. Not all strands have been tied up so I suppose there could be more Kaguya-sama in the future, but as I say, as far as I'm concerned the story is over. It was great to see these two krazy kids finally get it right.

I have to give Kaguya's seiyuu, Aoi Koga, major props. Roles don't often require voice actors to demonstrate a huge range, but this one does. There's normal Kaguya, there's excited Kaguya, there's icy Kaguya and even super deformed Kaguya-chan and Aoi Koga does great with them all - kudos!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:38 am Reply with quote
No, Blood-, Kaguya-sama is far from over. The three seasons and The First Kiss That Never Ends only covers about half of the manga.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:50 am Reply with quote
Holy crap! Okay, then. I'll brace myself for more Kaguya-sama goodness in the future then, thanks for letting me know!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Holy crap! Okay, then. I'll brace myself for more Kaguya-sama goodness in the future then, thanks for letting me know!

I was just as surprised and actually didn't know until I saw your post and decided to look to see how long it was.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy to hear there is so much more material that hasn't been adapted yet because you so rarely see a rom-com that goes beyond the main couple first getting together (hell, a lot of the time they don't even get that far!). But clearly the manga deals with issues AFTER they've become a couple. I'm intrigued!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2