• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Goes HD in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
psychotim wrote:
Quote:
You need two things, the proper support for the resolution and an HD receiver. Some TV's come with a built-in receiver for OTA transmissions, but I'm not sure how common that is. Typically you would have to get an HD box from the cable or satellite company along with a special HD subscription

Some times they don't need all of that. My parents of a new HD TV(Im so want that one) and they get a lot of the HD channels and they only have a subscription to basic cable. I really find it funny, and they don't understand you I laugh at them. They get all of the basics channel in HD like, NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, PBS. plus others like TNT, TBS, espn 1 and 2. They even get some movies from On demend.

You're talking about a Qam tuner that is built into some HD set. Not all HDTV have QAM tuner.

If you want to read more about qam, try wikipedia.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:13 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to having CN in anamorphic WS. The quality for their currently letterboxed series is really poor since you get bars on all four sides requiring a good amount of zooming to fill the screen! I hope that the channel will also go 1080 and 5.1

Indeed most "HD" channels contain a good amount of upscaled SD source. The only channel that I receive that broadcasts native HD 24/7 is San Francisco's PBS station which does tend to repeat programming throughout the week. The majority of CN shows are older titles that will be upscaled, but the newer shows will look great.

The newer Sony's have 2 coax inputs. I have one for a Tivo feed and the other with a direct feed from the wall since I don't have an HD TIvo and this makes switching much easier. It took a good amount of time to initially detect all available digital channels (like 1/2 hour) but the television detected which channels are available. I believe that there is a also potential for problems tuning into digital if you use the wrong RF input.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2