• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SSSS.Dynazenon (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

*Dynazenon is in and a mysterious humanoid kaiju falls out of the sky*
Me: "Is that Anti?"
*Actually able to see its details*
Me: "That is totally Anti!"

It had been a while since I saw Gridman, but when it looked like it was a situation that Dynazenon might need help from a friendly kaiju for once, thinking back to Gridman it kind of felt like Anti. Might be the first time that some knowledge would help, and it does bring into consideration what SSSS.Gridman introduced with things like the Kaiju girl, for Kaiju being more than weapons. How that might interact with the Kaiju eugenicists.

On the Yume front, she managed to get hold of a video that might or might not show her sister being bullied, which could have led to her suicide. The video seems pretty mean spirited in showing her female clubmates playing a prank in hiding that puzzle that Yume is always carrying around from her sister, it would mostly seem pretty solid evidence of something considering that they hid the video after what happened to her. But the video ended on an end card of the girls all friendly, and perhaps in good fun. Yume seems rather conflicted about it, and she is not showing Yomogi, perhaps relevant to seeing him being kind of teased by some female classmates also. It is kind of ambiguous what Yume's thoughts are on seeing the girls with Yomogi.

Koyomi's story is kind of odd too, as he is confused by exactly what this old classmate wants from him. And what exactly is happening with the eugenicist gal, with her comments about feeling like she is empty and has nothing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:53 am Reply with quote
It's funny but before the appearance of Anti I was wondering if there were ever going to be cross-over elements from Gridman. Ask and ye shall receive. For all I know there have been other less obvious instances but because it's been so long since I've seen Gridman, they may have blown right by me.

One thing that always gnaws at me during a fight is... are innocent people dying every time a building gets destroyed? It's not like there is ever enough time for evacuation before a battle starts. And there seems to be no chatter about these events in the outside world. You'd think when Jobless meets with the married woman and her husband there'd be some discussion about these rather remarkable events, but nope.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Wow, Gridknight/Anti and The 2nd (?) really cleaned up, they went from trash gremlins to totally hot. And I kind of thought they might be like Gauma considering what they were like as kids, but just makes him stand out more.

Kind of thought the need to point out elements of the series that play into the original parts even though they would not make as much sense. Like having the villains always standing on top of tall things with perfectly clean clothes, like some sort of movie or TV show that wants to keep using certain sets that would be available. Or the silly aspect of the twirl baton for healing, as again the props they might have on hand with something an actor might be able to look mildly impressive. And how the heroes in this episode were apparently able to stay in the shops all night, because apparently ice-cream shops do that and allow you to stay there. Perhaps there are other explanations, but it has kind of felt like a continued nod to the sort of filming locations that might be available in the live action version.

Something is more on the sort of unsettling side, is how the aftermath of destruction is practically ignored, like they are all numb to the likely victims around them, and at this point it is logical that this group teenagers and unemployed men should be handling this.

Also, maybe just because my knowledge of this franchise is limited with players, but I had been thinking for a while around the idea of a woman Gauma talks about entrusting Dynazenon to him, and Akane.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:09 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 7

And how the heroes in this episode were apparently able to stay in the shops all night, because apparently ice-cream shops do that and allow you to stay there. Perhaps there are other explanations, but it has kind of felt like a continued nod to the sort of filming locations that might be available in the live action version.

Something is more on the sort of unsettling side, is how the aftermath of destruction is practically ignored, like they are all numb to the likely victims around them, and at this point it is logical that this group teenagers and unemployed men should be handling this.

Our heroes were camping out at the Umihotaru highway rest stop, located atop the undersea Aqualine freeway that connects Kawasaki/Haneda Airport to Kisarazu.
https://www.japan.travel/en/spot/1536/

Some facilities are 24-hour access so it wouldn't be too hard for them to have stayed the night.
https://www.umihotaru.com/en/guide/

As for the destruction, I'd say it's more of the story choosing to focus less on the aftermaths in favour of focusing on the main characters and their interpersonal interactions/troubles.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Looks like we got was looking for most of the season, some insight into Chise. And it kind of turned out good, since the Kaiju she created does not seem to be a bad kind, at least follows Chise's heart, and can fuse with the others including with Gridknight.

It did look like we could see what was under Chise's sleeve, but it was not a scar but a tattoo. Kind of wondering then if this is along the reasons Chise stopped going to school, getting something like a tattoo, which would have her be seen as not normal. To be fair. Chise had seemed like an odd idea of a person who was mostly depressed into becoming a NEET, her clothes far too stylish. The alternate analysis of her character who's sense of aesthetic ran against her peers and authority, so she stopped going.

Things do kind of make a parallel between Chise and Akane, creating kaiju being one thing.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10 was absolutely amazing. Such an artistic and cathartic episode. Can't wait to read the review for this one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:54 am Reply with quote
It is what I would describe as the most Trigger episode. I super liked how it was playing with the medium by having characters just disappear in a single frame, it has a kind of disorientating element to it as you can't really pull that off in other mediums well without something like a cutaway.

Yume seemed to get closure in regards to her sister, but I am a little unsure what the implication still was. Was it really just an accident that she did not have any intention of doing anything? The boyfriend looking to the left last episode to my knowledge is an often sign of lying, so he might have indeed understood that the sister was the kind. My otherwise take is that she was greatly troubled, which did not start in high school but she tried to change herself when in there, and while many people liked her, she was still unhappy. Maybe that it was not an intention, but she was purposefully in a dangerous place because a part of her could not handle it. My interpretation still that it was complicated, that Yume was not going to just jump, but was tempting fate because she was not okay, including apparently jealousy over her own sister. The best moment was probably her realising that she should have been better with Yume.

I was reading comments on Reddit, and apparently people have identified a relevant part of Gauma. Apparently the original Gridman live action series had a mummy character from 50000 years in the past, who could control dragons, he promised himself to the princess but the royal family killed him, and the princess mummified his remains before killing herself in hopes of reuniting. Apparently in the original show he mistook another woman as the princess, but after realising it was not her went back to sleep. I guess it explains things like Gauma's bandages.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Eppie 11:

The translators definitely brought their B game today. (What do you call a desiccated, preserved corpse? A mirror!)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:36 am Reply with quote
Oh, so that was a translation error? I was wondering why he kept saying mirror, he mean mummy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

That was a lot of transformations/mashups, not in a bad way because silly over the top stuff is half the fun. It did otherwise end on what I would say is a ambiguous note, similar to Gridman not spelling things out. It would seem that Gauma was dying, probably turning into his mummified form, but then at the end when Knight and Second left with Goldburn and the body of Dynazenon, the body was suddenly alive. My thoughts being was that it was kind of explained that Gauma's reanimation was tied to Kaiju, which was why he was dying when the Kaiju were gone, but perhaps he could come back to life when leaving their world into whatever the connected worlds thing is. Could Gauma go with the Gridknight Alliance to hopefully find his princess in another world?

Another ambiguity I did not really think about until I read a comment putting forward the theory, that maybe Yomogi could be a true reincarnation of Gauma or something. He can dominate Kaiju, and it was only after the episode that I realised the choice in the school festival haunted café of him being dressed as a mummy. There is probably at least an intentional through line for the two characters specifically, and perhaps something about him reaching out romantically to Yume. Is it interesting that Yume's puzzles were an Egyptian symbol of rebirth, although I think that Gauma is meant to be a Mummy from China.

But I enjoyed it, as general I am fan of some Trigger fun, comparing and or contrasting with SSSS.Gridman would be interesting. To put things in words in making a decision, I think that I liked Gridman more, but I wonder if that was just because it came first, while I kind of feel like Dynazenon had a more clear picture of what it wanted to be, that I don't really want to pit the two against each other. Although Yomogi and Yume are also two character that probably need to be pondered a bit as rather subtle. There is also a reason why people talk a lot about Akane with the Gridman series, there is not much of a easy comparison in this series. But I did like something I read about Yomogi, Yume, Koyomi and Chise are characters that each could have turned into an Akane (in a bad sense), so their character journeys are kind of like a subversion.

My rating is going to be a Very good (8/10), I like it a lot and think it is a do not miss, both series are very interesting in their style, but I do still feel like there is room here that it could move its way up. Seems kind of weird, that I can admit that these shows really are worth attention, and they have a bit of a following that includes me, but also that I still rate it at this level, like maybe I am more into it than I should, being too harsh, or might not really know what I want. Maybe it is like a contradiction, where I praise some of its understated characters, but also totally want crazier ones, there is a reason I got a bit more excited when Knight and Anti showed up, and also did not get enough. When the show is at its strongest it is totally hamming itself up with ridiculous and self aware 'nonsense', the idea that it could sustain that is probably a silly idea. I do actually choose to read that into scenes like over half a minute of watching someone eat a churro, which people kind of made a joke of reading into it, but I still think was a great scene in showing how awkward the moment was.

Apparently a sequel has already been announced, which is some form of Gridman X Dynazenon, my guess would at least be some amount of Goldburn and whatever controls Dynazenon to meet the likes of Gridman himself and those who were going by the name Neon Genesis Junior High Students
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching it. It quite a very good show to watch, especially with the character centric focus it has from Gridman. Could it had more? Certainly. But what we got was just as brilliant as a shiny pearl.

And man, I think Yume may still have long path before trusting others again, but with Yomogi on her side, I think it will be a good one. And at the very least, Koyomi and Chise can still remain close as ever even when split.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2