• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akiba Maid War (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:49 pm Reply with quote
5:

I don't think most people would realize or appreciate the kind of humor that goes on in this show.

Like the Manager singing in the style of enka.
Or the print-out made with ultra tone-saving mode.
Or Shiipon cutting away from the Manager's rambling.
Or the coital reference / homonym that flustered Nagomi.
Or the Manager pathetically posing as Ranko.
Or Yumechi thinking they need more ink.

What exactly is Nerura's role here? She can't just be Nagomi's buddy at the streets; there's definitely more to it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Nagomi: "Oh, it's tomato juice, not blood. That's so much better."
Ranko: "It really isn't."
Says it all really... well, not quite.

Why on earth would anyone sacrifice a lamb in tomato juice to make a point? ... oh, the lamb maids were a cult or at the very least, rife with unintended Christian symbolism. "Being baptized in tomato juice/'blood' after being hit in the head with a lamb", happens all the... why was there a cistern of tomato juice? It felt like a wine making set up that got out of hand.

In episode 4, manager was praised for leading a very violent group and in episode 5, they finally realized they could rob all the maids they've killed. I'm sensing a direction here and it leads to "Akiba Maid War".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:16 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Why on earth would anyone sacrifice a lamb in tomato juice to make a point? ... oh, the lamb maids were a cult or at the very least, rife with unintended Christian symbolism. "Being baptized in tomato juice/'blood' after being hit in the head with a lamb", happens all the... why was there a cistern of tomato juice? It felt like a wine making set up that got out of hand.

Well, the lamb was because they were sheep maids, right. And all the tomato juice was part of this show's comedy, with shocking us especially in thinking that the sweet maid was a total psychopath that somehow gets enough blood from was it essentially being a serial killer for birthdays. Fitting in the humour that it isn't actually that bad, but back again when you really think how random the tomato juice thing is. Just in the first episode where it looked like a finger cutting situation before revealing that it was cutting a ponytail, but then we got a total massacre.

I thought that the lamb just staying in the scene was pretty funny eventually drowning Nagomi as it tried to avoid the raising juice. And that the rest of the episode had their uniforms dyed red.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:19 pm Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 5]
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:41 am Reply with quote
6:

Ah. Just when I mentioned about Nerula's role in the show. Is this show listening to me? See what I mean by how self-aware this show is?

The whole sisterhood oath (clearly *NOT* blood oath, ahem)... that's hilarious. I don't know how this show pulls off ridiculous things every time. Is this show also drawing inspiration from John Wick or something? I must admit that I felt emotionally confused at the ending: for an over-the-top ludicrous show, the ending was surprisingly... sad. Do we need a scene like this? I don't know.

It's the halfway point of the series, and it's still keep things fresh. 12 episodes seem to be the perfect length, and seeing how we're approaching the climax now, I pray that it keeps getting better from now on.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:05 am Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 6]
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:17 pm Reply with quote
7:

How the hell did Nagomi become such a proficient ninja in such a short time??
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:40 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
7:

How the hell did Nagomi become such a proficient ninja in such a short time??

Unreliable narrator. Regardless of the ninja moves, there's no way Nagomi would think to push the machine gun towards Ranko unless she planned on Ranko using it.

I've been expecting this side of her since episode 1, I just didn't think it would come in the form of ninjitsu. Come on, there's no way someone could still be that willfully naive after being covered in blood after a headshot.

Still, this does remind me of Best Student Council where background girl A turns out to be a super ninja while she just wants to be an ordinary girl... a girl who then gets scouted to be an Idol whose gimmick is "her ordinariness makes her special" which her manager turns into "she seems ordinary but in reality, she's a super ninja!" She gives up being an idol on the spot and goes back to being a super ninja. Ayu wanted to be an idol over being a ninja but since she couldn't be an idol, she went back to being a ninja... I don't think she thought it through...

Was Nagomi a ninja who wanted to become a maid who ended up becoming a ninja? That would not be the weirdest thing in this series.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:37 am Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 7]
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:07 pm Reply with quote
8:

I lost it when the Axolotl team said that Ugaki and Miyabi weren't dead and just carried them all the way to the end.

Baseball episodes are so glorious. Wayyy better than hot spring episodes.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:44 pm Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Baseball episodes are so glorious. Wayyy better than hot spring episodes.

What's funny is that I hate baseball, but love anime baseball episodes! My personal favorite is the Jujutsu Kaisen one, just for the commentary on the characters alone.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:31 am Reply with quote
I was a little worried that a baseball episode would feel a bit played out, but actually trying to play propper in face of almost going to blows wasn't bad. And also when two women were straight up murdered, but claimed to still be alive and they just kept their corpses onscreen.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:10 am Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 8]
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:44 am Reply with quote
9:

So which is more ironic:

A) The Manager actually realizing that maybe, just maybe, she's useless to her own cafe?

2) The Manager fishing the whole day and proving how useless she really is?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:49 pm Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 9]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3