• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What Happens When Magical Girls Grow Up?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Dark series will never go away--there will always be teenagers and young adults who'll feel the need to demonstratively reject their childhood--but as Western fandom continues to age and gentrify, one would think the desire to do a sincere show for adults is there.

I think there's also something to be said for people who try to deny their own basic human desires and interests. A desire to be seen as adult or mature is also a sign of immaturity. Nothing wrong with liking fanservice or violence, or 'edge'' as some people might label things like that. A show that's banal is not more mature or adult.

Honestly, considering how much fanservice and violence even normal magical girl series tend to have, it seems only natural that an entirely-for-adult version would have those elements but with less restrictions. Some of the Precure movies have taken advantage of their less-restrictive standards and included things like blood so I'm sure it's something more series would like to do if they were able to. I don't see how one can watch old shows like Cutey Hoey and Sailor Moon and not see the levels of fanservice or violence in them as being intrinsic to the genre. If anything, I might consider removing those elements a sign of dishonesty or disrespect. Like when a self-away parody mocks the idea of transformation sequences by pointing out the villain can attack during them or how long they take. I usually see those in western parodies, but they always come off as a not really understanding why they're there to begin with and a bit of a beginner's trap of trying to be genre savvy.

Last edited by Doubleclouder on Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
explodingpompoms

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
In the rest of the "magical girls but daaaaark" space, I've honestly been enjoying Magical Girl Tsubame: I Will (Not) Save The World! over on Manga Plus, but it's hard to see it ever getting an anime. So much of the appeal is Mapollo 3's wild-ass art, which I'm sure the eight other fans of PPPPPP out there will remember was also its strongest suit -- and I don't think it'd work nearly as well in motion.

Hell yeah, one of PPPPPP's eight fans here, I miss that series so much, but I've also really been enjoying Magical Girl Tsubame. The use of color and the visualizations of her powers are so cool. A really fun, offbeat take on magical girls.

This column reminded me that I should rewatch Granbelm. It's a slow season, I could make time.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:44 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
The first book/series, and the second arc too are more standard "dark magical girl!!!" type stories but after that point it starts getting really interesting.

MGRP's second arc becomes a lot more entertaining and digestible when you come to the realization that the author almost certainly did a recent playthrough of Danganronpa 2, because there is absolutely no goshdarn way that that game's structure did not inspire Restart's plot even a little bit.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Could be worse. Could be Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:55 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
I will throw my vote in for watching Daybreak Illusion if you haven't. Yes, it's one of the slew of dark magical girl series to come out in the years following Madoka, but the art style was unique and it didn't dwell on the misery as much as series like Magical Girl Site or Magical Girl Raising Project. Definitely a step below Yuuki Yuuna, however. Daybreak was another one with a really banger OP song as well.

That was one I really enjoyed back when it first came out, so much that I was so disappointed it was one of the earliest series Aniplex of America licensed and then never released on home video. I've been meaning to rewatch it at some point.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
In the rest of the "magical girls but daaaaark" space, I've honestly been enjoying Magical Girl Tsubame: I Will (Not) Save The World! over on Manga Plus, but it's hard to see it ever getting an anime. So much of the appeal is Mapollo 3's wild-ass art, which I'm sure the eight other fans of PPPPPP out there will remember was also its strongest suit -- and I don't think it'd work nearly as well in motion.

Don't think I count as one of the 8 but I enjoyed PPPPPP but fell behind...I've been enjoying Tsubame though it's also one I've fallen behind on. I really like Mapollo's art style and Tsubame is a really interesting concept. The character designs are so good too. Man, I need to go catch up with it and then try to binge PPPPPP if I can still read any of it for free....

I also gotta finish Daybreak Illusion anime. I remember enjoying the first episode but more than anything I loved how wild the designs got (especially the hair). Interesting concept to have the characters look nearly the same when in magical girl form except cooler vibes and bigger hair. It was a very pretty looking anime and one of my friends enjoyed it so I should do it for them...
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Quote:
and, notably, didn't reveal its cards about being anything other than a straightforward take until about episode three

This is a pretty standard narrative with Madoka, but it's also not how I remember it being received. Even from episode 1, people were saying "this is some wild-ass Shaft stuff, and it'll be interesting to see where it goes". There was already the ominous Kyubey imagery, the opening nightmare, the Faust allusions, the crazy set design, Homura being very suspicious, a beat or two that was very reminiscent of Nanoha's opening episode, and so on. Long before Charlotte happened, it was clear this was not a world where being a magical girl was fun and games.

(For me, it's kinda like how people talk about the OP being misleading, to which I always say: It starts and ends with Madoka crying. How much more representative can you get?)

Remember, Madoka already had a good amount of buzz before it aired, just from the staff. People already knew the Song of Saya dude was writing Shaft's first original anime since before the Shinbo era, just as they knew it had character designs by the Hidamari Sketch lady and the director of Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei and Arakawa Under the Bridge would be directing. Nobody expected it to be typical Pretty Cure material. (Not that the then-current HeartCatch season was considered "typical Pretty Cure material" either, as I recall.)

You're correct that Madoka Magika didn't entirely hold its hand tightly, as the first episode was vastly more wild and violent than most magical girl series which preceded it, and even after episode 2 it didn't have the vibe of a conventional magical girl series. Even so, no one was expecting that scene in episode 3, or for the series to suddenly switch from the cheery ED used for the first two episodes to the much, much darker-toned "Magia," which I still feel was a masterstroke for emphasizing that viewers were finally seeing the series' real face. It sent a shockwave through anime fandom that was unparalleled to that point, and even in the current era of viral posting, I'm not sure that a single anime scene has equaled that impact since.

invalidname wrote:

Hey, I was (and still am) actually a fan of that one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Madoka had great soundtrack in general, most of it fitting that magical and mysterious (dangerous?) fairy-tale theme, with Magia ED being also perfect departure from that style. That and the great visual quality elevated already strong writing into stratosphere, and made it more hitting emotionally, both in despair and in hope. That's not something you can get just by subversing.

"Gushing..." after it gets going later, feels to me less like subversion but more like Mahou Shoujo-themed story about horny teenage shenanigans. Some characters later behave more like fans and ecchi cosplayers rather than actual magical girls and villains. If the MC had her way (which is rarely), her each meeting with Tres Magia would end with her getting ye olde Team Rocket blast off exit.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:10 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I find Magical Girl most enjoyable when it is either Echi(Cutie Honey, KIll La Kill), Dark(Princess Tutu) or bizzare(Galaxy Fraulein Yuna).
KIll La Kill isn't a Magical Girl series. Its a Super Powers series. Put another way, it has more in common with MHA than any Magical Girl show am familiar with.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, one other Jump+ series I forgot to mention: Magilumiere Co. Ltd. That one's gonna add an interesting dimension to the topic of "adult themes" in magical girl stuff when it airs this fall, what with spoiler[the core conflict being "research suggests the magic we use to fight these naturally occurring magical monsters is making the problem worse in the long run, so we've developed more magic-efficient techniques, but there's too many vested interests who use the old magic-heavy methods"].
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...or for the series to suddenly switch from the cheery ED used for the first two episodes to the much, much darker-toned "Magia," which I still feel was a masterstroke for emphasizing that viewers were finally seeing the series' real face.

Nitpick but... the cutesy ending theme to Madoka episodes 1 and 2 was added for the BDs. The TV broadcast simply had the end credits play over the final scenes. The broadcast for episode 3 was the first time Madoka even had an ending.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:10 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

I don't know about the anime, but the manga's decent. I had fun at least.
onpufan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:47 am Reply with quote
Puni Puni Poemy is a big throwback. I remember watching it back in the day with Excel Saga. Nanoha was great too, and for more modern stuff Prisma Illya and Magical Girl Site are fun, more adult magical girl series as well.

In the literal sense, I wonder if we'll ever get the Doremi light novels animated one day. It'd be nice to see those characters again after so long.
Elric4985

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:50 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised my favorite darker take on magical girls wasn't brought up. Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome. Shows that aren't talked about much but I really liked.
Raneth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:13 am Reply with quote
Would Alien Nine count as a magical girl show? I watched some of the anime and read the manga ages ago, and it definitely felt very unique at the time. It definitely had that mix of cutesy shenanigans mixed with darkness and outright body horror.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4