• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/stay night DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quote
demon_god03 wrote:
While I agree that excluding the other two scenarios pretty much leaves you with really an introductory story to the Fate/stay night story, it is not really possible to merge all three into one.

A creative enough mind could do it fairly easily. In fact I and a friend of mine (Type-Moon fanatics, the both of us...or at least he was before having to deal with stubborn and flighty ****s while beta-testing the English Tsukihime) had hashed out a working plan a while ago. I've forgotten most of the details and it did take some creative license (and Gilgamesh fans would hate our guts), but it still retained an accurate portrayal of the characters and stayed true to the story, the background of the Grail War, and Type-Moon's mythology, all while including the most integral elements of all three scenarios.

It's tricky, but it can be done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Bluntly, it's like the Tsukihime anime, only better, and less dull, and less out-of-character in how it depicts the cast.

I'd call it far better than that actually. Tsukihime anime covered barely 10% of the story, and it covered that 10% poorly. It's almost a disservice to compare the two, though it is a pretty natural comparison considering they're both Type-Moon works.

On every other point though, I agree. Especially poor Archer getting the short end of the stick. The most GAR of them all. D:

But then again, I could never really comprehend how all three scenarios could be effectively covered, or even touched, in a single anime season. As much as I hate to say, I think they did probably the best thing they could have by sticking to one scenario.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
demon_god03

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I've forgotten most of the details and it did take some creative license (and Gilgamesh fans would hate our guts), but it still retained an accurate portrayal of the characters and stayed true to the story, the background of the Grail War, and Type-Moon's mythology, all while including the most integral elements of all three scenarios.

It's tricky, but it can be done.

Hm do you remember much of the details like how you arranged and/or changed the events and things? It would be interesting to see what you came up with. But like I said, Shirou went through very differant character development through the three scenarios and emerged from them as fairly differant characters. While UBW and Fate are fairly similar Heaven's Feel IS really differant, and also one of the charms for me in the Fate/stay night story is how each of the story arcs feel differant. Fate route is almost like a fairy tale type story, Unlimited Blade Works feels like a school coming of age type (not sure if that accurately describes the genre but the main confict with himself and the setting feels something like that to me), while Heaven's Feel is almost like a horror/mystery type story.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Entire post spoiler tagged for the sake of people who haven't yet seen the series.

spoiler[I seem to vaguely remember the first half being a mix of Fate and Unlimited Blade Works mostly, with the occasional "fun with the Matou family" moment of character development. Then around the battle with Berserker, Sakura turns up missing and Archer throws himself at Berserker as seen in the series, only to turn up missing himself. The Caster arc plays out like the Caster/Archer/Souichirou parts in Unlimited Blade Works for the most part, with Archer turning back up shortly after the Berserker fight to lure Rin and the others into Caster's clutches, except the end involves the appearance of a certain sexy black shadow and Rider (through some mana loopholes I can't even fathom at the moment, though I assure you they worked) barely saving Rin & Shirou by her Master's orders. From there it plays out mostly like Heaven's Feel, but I remember we came up with a slightly different ending. Not much different, though, and it wasn't necessarily a happy one, either. Just less of a cop-out for Saber fans than the original Heaven's Feel ending was.

I forget the exact details, and I'm at a complete loss for how we used Gilgamesh. I also seem to remember we had to extend it out to around thirty-nine episodes to fit everything in.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:37 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first volume DVD and it is definitely worth it (even though the menus suck ass).

I recommend this anime. Has the feel that TYPE-MOON anime shows have. Definite must watch.

Also includes trailers of Ergo Proxy and Shana as well.

To put it simply, I liked the DVD. And I'm gonna get a Blu-ray version of this as well in the near future.
etempest2k7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote
I know that this is one of the hentai Video Games turned in to non-hentai anime series but I've never seen / played any of the games.

I do know that this series has a great draw that caught me early and kept me. The story is about Saber and her master. The 2nd 1/2 of the series does have major plot twist and I feel start greatly expanding the character development.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm still haven't made up my minde entirely right now on what to do in regards of purchasing this series. Mind you, I'm not a gamer at all, so those titles that are based off games are tantamount to blind buys for me. I took a chance with Tsukihime and liked it. Then I played the game that spawned it, and discovered that the anime was lacking in my eyes. Hence the problem I have with out-and-buying Fate/stay night. From what I've read in the review, and the comments posted before me, at the moment I'm probably going to pass until a decent sale comes along. I shall see though...
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quote
Hahaha, I full agree with this review. The casting of the characters wasn't bad, but their performances are rather tepid at best; a mix of "Assertive Melodrama" and "Regal American" voices. Frankly, Michael McConnohie probably gave the best performance with his portrayal of Berserker.

It's quite a pity, though, that the first DVD only garners such a slightly above average rating; those first four episodes were the best spread of the whole series.
rebii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I haven't picked up my copy yet, but I will when the series completes.I've seen it as a fansub and can't wait for the DVD series set.
Be patient, this turns into a great story, with true heroism and unselfish love. I haven't played the game, but I would suggest to those who have, look at it with fresh eyes, on its own merits.
This is proving to be one of my all time favorites.
lady_youko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
Fate/Stay Night was a mixed bag for me. I just concluded the series in the anime club I attend and I thought the ending for this was decent and definately a lot better than some of the other endings we watched that night

*shudders* Trinity Blood, although people say I'm unfair for judging the ending of TB as crap because the creator died. W/e neither here nor there.

One of the most amusing things about this series is that you really can't tell its based off an H game, until spoiler[ Shirou has to "dive inside" of Saber to release her mana or something like that...] Then I was amazed at how well Type Moon was able to keep the fact that F/SN was an H game from us for so long. They may have done the same thing with Tsukihime but I've never seen it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2