• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Censorship Panel to Be Held at Comic-Con Int'l

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DjJuvan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:11 am Reply with quote
Has anyone recorded this panel? :\
Yamaji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
anime10121 wrote:
arsonist92 wrote:
If you don't become an ACTOR, you'll never become a FACTOR!

Lupe speaks TRUTH! I don't get the censoring of ANYTHING to tell the truth. If for some reason you are offended by something (and I see no reason for creativity to offend anyone), simply don't FREKIN READ/WATCH/View it!

Off Topic but the only thing that should be censored isn't, and that's racism. The very word means hate or rather a superiority complex based on the color of your skin, or what area you live in.

There was no reason why Japan should have allowed such a fucked-up law to pass. ([Such comments are uncalled for])

Censoring racism? No, it must NOT be censored. If you shut racists up, you're no better than they are. Also, George Carlin was right about what we consider racial slurs--those words are completely meaningless by themselves. It's the context that makes them good or bad.
Shocked

A discussion on censorship gets censored!!! Am I in the twighlight zone or what!! Rolling Eyes
anime10121

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
anime10121 wrote:
arsonist92 wrote:
If you don't become an ACTOR, you'll never become a FACTOR!

Lupe speaks TRUTH! I don't get the censoring of ANYTHING to tell the truth. If for some reason you are offended by something (and I see no reason for creativity to offend anyone), simply don't FREKIN READ/WATCH/View it!

Off Topic but the only thing that should be censored isn't, (mainly speaking about here in the US) and that's racism. The very word means hate or rather a superiority complex based on the color of your skin, or what area you live in. And we have many idiots/children (although the kids don't know any better) here that think that words spoken/written are true.

Sorry if my earlier post was taken out of context, I actually was referring to racism in America, not Japan and have edited it as such. We have to many too many people here that won't allow themselves to think for their self, as it's SO much easier to allow others to do it for them.

Past wrote:

Censoring racism? No, it must NOT be censored. If you shut racists up, you're no better than they are. Also, George Carlin was right about what we consider racial slurs--those words are completely meaningless by themselves. It's the context that makes them good or bad.There are books that depict the racism that occurred in the past as a part of America's history and some literary critics would rather have that dark part of our history omitted and do subscribe to a form of censorship as a "blessing." I however do not and just like telling stories about bigots and proponents of slavery and segregation isn't intended to directly offend people or a certain group of people, we can't deny it existed and however regrettable it was, it is testament to our struggle to achieve equality. If we ignore the struggle and all those details it entailed, we forget the reason for our struggle.
Recognizing the events that took place as a piece of the puzzle on the road to a better world is the extent to which there is reasonable allowance freedom of expression for racism, however. The statement "America should have conquered them outright after WW2." goes way beyond that, which isn't about expression it's about an actual tendency or desire to commit hate upon another group. The excuse hate is just another form of expression should not be lumped in with the justification for preserving the right to expression.

Oh and I didn't mean censoring history, I'm talking about the people preaching their racial views publicly now.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
America censors manga as well, so I dunno if preaching to the US is going to help much on the Tokyo situation. Razz

True, but again Japan censor not only their manga, but our stuff too when they go to Japan. I'm at work so I can't access some sites like Kotaku, and other game sites so I can show you what Japan censored from US. But I guess Japan and US censoring each other stuff is fair game to me, I don't like censorship but each country has cultural differences, like I remember when Bob the builder went to Japan, they have to add another finger on him because apparently anything more or less then 5 fingers is bad in Japan (something have to do with Yakuza practice).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2