• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Dub Madoka Magica Into English

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Saffire wrote:
I wonder if they're dubbing it so that it can air on Adult Swim like they did with Durarara. Either way, great news.

That would be a shocker considering we haven't had a magical girl series on TV for a long time.
Madoka is only a magical girl series in the sense that Evangelion is a super robot series. It is, but that's missing the forest for the trees. It's got a shot, I think.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Key wrote:
Wow, I think that this is a first for Aniplex. But they chose the right title for it, as this one has greater potential than anything else they've released so far to be a big hit.
Agreed. However I still feel it's largely a waste because I think the majority of the people that buy it already saw it, and would prefer the Japanese voices. Chiwa Saito was just GODLY as Homura and the best english va's possible wouldnt be able to compare, it's like the character was made to fit HER. Aoi Yuki was great too....well the entire cast was, I just don't see anything comparing. What scares me the most is how terrible dubs have been overall in the last half decade. The last GOOD dub I remember was probably GITS:SSS..everything else ranging from terrible [clannad] to decent [gundam 00]

I'd say it's less about the Japanese cast and more about the show in general. I just don't think this show has mainstream appeal. Those who see this in store shelves with no information behind it are not going to pick it up. As it has been said, the main buyers are going to be those that already watched the show or have at least seen some of it. I'll definitely be picking this up, but the inclusion of a dub isn't affecting my decision on that one iota. I think Blue Exorcist would have easily favored more with a dub considering it has a great selling manga here in North America and... it isn't a magical girl show.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
I wonder if they're dubbing it so that it can air on Adult Swim like they did with Durarara. Either way, great news.

That would be awesome to see. We might not have Sailor Moon yet, but this could keep Sailor Moon fans and fans of Magical girl genre entertain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

Kougeru wrote:
The last GOOD dub I remember was probably GITS:SSS..everything else ranging from terrible [clannad] to decent [gundam 00]
Tch, like hell. If that's honestly the best you can come up when it comes to dubs, then you seriously need to see more of them.Rolling Eyes There have been plenty of great ones(ones far better than those two) in the last decade.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrTerrorist

Yes! Dubs! Thank you Aniplex USA.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The last GOOD dub I remember was probably GITS:SSS..everything else ranging from terrible [clannad] to decent [gundam 00]

Well, not ALL dubs are bad. Look at Cowboy Bebop. Everyone think it's the best English dub ever! And I definitely think you should check out the English dubs of Nabari no Ou and Sasami Magical Girl Club, especially the latter because that anime's seiyuu were just absolutely awful! Especially for three particular characters! THREE OF THEM!!!
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Look at Cowboy Bebop. Everyone think it's the best English dub ever!
Eh, define everybody. Laughing Because even though I'm a dub guy, that's one of the dubs that, personally, I honestly don't think is all that great in comparison to others I've heard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
they're in negotiations for rurouni kenshin anime?...if they get it, i hope they'll get it dubbed....and i bet it will be overpriced...
lilly_938

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah!
I was already going to buy anyway, but dub just makes it that much better.
Now Aniplex, confirm BD, extras (soundtracks!!!) and I will pre-order first day! even if I have to take out a loan!
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
You rock Aniplex!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The North American anime distributor Aniplex of America confirmed at its Otakon panel on Friday that it will dub the Puella Magi Madoka Magica anime series into English.

Not a dub fan but I am glad this has made people happy. Judging by how popular this title is then it should deserve a dub.

Quote:
Aniplex of America added that it is in "negotiations" for the new Rurouni Kenshin anime project

Now this makes me super super happy. Very Happy

Thank you Aniplex!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
It's cost effective to dub a short and highly popular anime. That's the bottom line reason, not because they're aiming for TV.

Not to mention, the cast of characters is tiny. That means fewer people to pay.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Wow, I think that this is a first for Aniplex. But they chose the right title for it, as this one has greater potential than anything else they've released so far to be a big hit.

I can't agree with you on this. They should be dubbing Blue Exorcist, which is rivaling Bleach for views on Crunchyroll. I just can't see a magical girl show targeted at middle aged men bringing in those kind of numbers.

They could make a profit on this, seeing as how those middle aged men actually have the money to buy it. Box set - $200.00 to $300.00 MSRP.

(notice there was no retail price listed in the article. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop )
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see how it's a "popular" anime. That's what they said about Gurren Lagaan. Rolling Eyes Anyway, I hope if they get Kenshin 2, they won't be encouraged by people buying the OAVs to sell the effer at a price as insane as the one for R.O.D. Blu-Ray.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Homura: Michelle Ruff

THIIIIIISSSS! Ruff is the perfect choice for Home Run Homura-chan! Can't wait.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8