• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: Anime and Manga's 8 Most Impoverished Teams

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Great list. Always true some that would get left off but going back to Urusei Yatsura and with Get Backers, Gintama, and BeBop - that's a quality list.

Oh and Sket Dance needs more love - its an awesome show.
darklight9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I loved pokemon when I was 5 years old and I still watch it. Smile Smile Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't get more impoverished than the homeless trio from Tokyo Godfathers. Though I suppose they're not an official team.

What's with the crazy numbering in the list? 1-7, 1-18, 1-9? But aside from Gintama (which I don't watch) I can't disagree with the top 10, though the order would be slightly different.

Had to go with Roger Smith for this poll. Seemed like an easy list to make, but looking through the Encyclopedia it really isn't.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
If you include movies, the Tokyo Godfathers trio has these guys all beat. because they actually look the part!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, for the user poll (which I seemed to miss with my first reading of the article) is it possible to allow users to 'write in' a vote? I don't really care for any of those characters all that much, and I'd like to place a vote for Tsumugi Kotobuki who just seems awed by the extremely simple things (like sharing french fries or working in a fast food restaurant).

Also, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be Tomoyo Daidouji?
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

Now of course, I'm going to contribute to the "why didn't you include..." posts. (Sorry about that!)

The Enohana bathhouse crew in NieA Under 7.

I would have to say that NieA 7 represents the best (plotwise) treatment of poverty in anime. Unlike some of the shows that made the list, Enohana's economic downturn just about drives the entire show.

In the poll, I was torn between Tomoyo and Roger Smith, but in the end I had to go with Tomoyo, although I agree that Tsumugi would also have been a fine choice. Sure, Roger Smith has a big impressive mecha, but he doesn't make delicious snacks for his friends or negotiate bargains at the music store.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Cash-strapped characters seem to be a common theme in most of Rumiko Takahashi's works. Pick any one at random, and someone's probably living hand-to-mouth in it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:
Cash-strapped characters seem to be a common theme in most of Rumiko Takahashi's works. Pick any one at random, and someone's probably living hand-to-mouth in it.

Yeah, a lot of free-loaders in the Tendo household. Laughing
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Wandering Son wasn't a spring season show, which is what that poll was about.

It was a winter show! Completely forgot that...I wonder who I voted for then.

I kind of realize that I don't really like anyone in this week's poll all that much....Wealthy characters are kinda 'meh' for me. I do like the breadth of the choices; I can say that.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Out of the rich characters, I had to choose between Tomoyo Daidouji and L. I'd say Roger Smith, but I haven't seen Big O. Anyway, I wanted to put Tomoyo cause she's so nice, makes great snacks and has such a positive personality, but I had to go with L cause he's more intriguing. In my book though, they're both winners.

I loved this list. Bebop, Outlaw Star and the Get Backers got some recognition.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
This new poll is sooooooo hard for me! Sad
There's 4 rich characters I really like and I can't choose who I want to vote for. Anime cry But I'm glad that almost all of my favorite shows made the Top 11!

Nice to see Black Cat being mention on the Most Impoverished Team list. I remembered an episode from the anime where Train, Sven, & Eve could only afford to eat bread crust for lunch! Anime hyper
I'm really enjoying these lists & can't wait for the next ones!!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
If more anime have been done about poor starving college students, instead of leech high school students who live off their parents' savings instead of working a part-time job, then there would be tons more impoverished teams. Laughing
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
In boys over flowers the protagonist family always seem strapped for cash spoiler[Of course she marries an incredibly rich man in the end.]

In Rin-ne, Rin is pretty poor. He's so hungry he eats pet food in one chapter :]

But the list is good, though I'll admit I hadn't heard of most of the older ones.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
That the A.C.R.O.S.S. team (Excel Saga) isn't on the poor list is a travesty. As of volume 22 they are literally living under a bridge in cardboard boxes. Not to best for the health of a lady that dies most every morning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2