• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newtype Announces New Clamp Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote
Although Tsubasa could've been better, I love the CLAMP crossover idea, they should stay with this for awhile until one of their crossovers become AMAZING.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
For those concerned with recent U.S. (Del Rey) releases of Tsubasa, don't worry. You are about to go on one roller-coaster ride that is just mind-blowing. With volume 12, Tsubasa had really fallen down on my manga list, but I borrowed a copy of volume 13 and I was happy that it got much better. The current stuff that's being published Shounen Magazine (which will go into volume 19) is...WOW! I get the feeling CLAMP is getting ready to start bringing the story to a conclusion this year (xxxHOLiC as well, which went on hiatus for a few weeks so the story in Tsubasa could catch up with xxxHOLiC), but I could be wrong.

As to Legal Drug and X/1999, there were reasons CLAMP was had to stop working on those titles. For Legal Drug, I believe the magazine it was published in went bankrupt. For X/1999, there were certain issues being dealt with that were deemed as inappropriate for Japanese audience at this time. As such, the manga was placed on hiatus. I mention this because some of the posts here seem to indicate a thought that CLAMP got up one day and said, "Ah, screw the fans. We're stopping two of our popular manga titles and starting two more." OK, maybe not that harsh, but the point is taken. Razz

jetz wrote:
However, are they running out of ideas or did they assume that Clamp fans wanted to see their fave characters again?

I think CLAMP just enjoys doing crossover cameos. In Chobits, there's a cameo with three of the characters from Angelic Layer (Chobits is a spinoff-sequel to Angelic Layer). There are other crossovers in other titles (or cameos) but I'm tired and drawing a blank at the moment.

Malintex Terek wrote:
So who owns the rights to this CLAMP title? ADV Manga? Or is this some special deal with Del Rey?

Its a shame it won't be Del Rey since the manga is published by Shogakukan. That means that it will be a Viz publication most likely (should it come out in book form). I'm sure they'd like to pick up on Del Rey's recent success with xxxHOLiC and Tsubasa, though I won't touch it unless they do as good a job as Del Rey.

potassium wrote:
I've never quite seen so many problems with publishers before from one circle. What's up with that? (curious)

CLAMP has produced a TON of manga over the years. The problems aren't actually with the publishers in a "you're in trouble" way. As I said earlier, the one manga magazine went bankrupt which causes legal problems in continuing the publication of the manga (Legal Drug). X/1999 was stopped by CLAMP due to the storyline dealing with massive earthquakes, which were to be graphically displayed (as I understand it). With some recent bad Japanese quakes, they decided to hold off wrapping up the manga for now.
Grico

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
I find it interesting that people didn't complain much about CLAMP School Detectives, CLAMP Paranormal Investigators, Duklyon, X, Tokyo Babylon (well not really that one) since there were crossovers in all of those Shocked

But also in Tsubasa, it's not actually a true crossover since they have different backgrounds and personalities, with similarities, than their original stories.

Edit: Oops I forgot to add Miyuki-chan in Wonderland since that crossed over with other ones too (but not sure if it was only the anime). And 20 Mensou ni Onegai as well which is definitely a meld with the CLAMP School Detectives.

I actually enjoy the fact that CLAMP has created their own world that goes beyond just one series. I guess its because you might get a more well rounded feel about the world they created.

I think people are more annoyed with major overlap cross over elements. the ones you listed first had very slight cross overs while tsubaba at least can turn into "spot the previous clamp book" game way to often. Personally, I don't get too worked up about some crossing over, I'm more annoyed that Tsubasa has had like little no forward progress in like a dozen volumes up through volume 11 that I have read. Tokyo Babylon was done with a full run at 7 and Tsubasa seems to have moved no where with 11.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I used to love CLAMP and don't really anymore at all, but you know what? To each his own. I don't plan on picking up another CLAMP in a long time (I liked XXXholic for a while, but gave up). They're a legend, they're legitimate, they have fans, and if what they're writing continues to sell, you know, whatever.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I think the fact that CLAMP has some series that have been sitting on indefinite hiatus is a main reason why people complain, because they rather see X/1999, Legal Drug, and Clover finished than have another crossover (which I don't mind to a certain extent, though at the same time it is also a bit of a cheap marketting ploy to get people to buy more CLAMP stuff).

Also, I don't think anyone necessarily has the rights to the CLAMP manga, if only because TokyoPop, Viz, and Del Rey all have CLAMP titles, thus suggesting that it's done on a title-to-title basis (there are other mangaka who have been published by different NA companies, such as Ai Yazawa and Fuyumi Soryo).
Asako

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Grico wrote:
I think people are more annoyed with major overlap cross over elements. the ones you listed first had very slight cross overs while tsubaba at least can turn into "spot the previous clamp book" game way to often. Personally, I don't get too worked up about some crossing over, I'm more annoyed that Tsubasa has had like little no forward progress in like a dozen volumes up through volume 11 that I have read. Tokyo Babylon was done with a full run at 7 and Tsubasa seems to have moved no where with 11.
I understand what you mean Smile but with the nature of the story, hopping worlds, it might seem a bit more frequent. Also with using the same main character, I can understand that. But after that initial "hey it's sakura and syaoran" it shouldn't really bother people further. The history between the two are different, can you really say "it's the same damn people" when they've got different histories than the CCS ones? The strong feelings may be the same, but how many manga out there have the same strong feelings as another manga BUT with different history or background?

If the visuals are really getting to people because they look the same, stop looking at the pictures and only read the text Anime hyper The cameos are small and there are lots of new people being discovered in the worlds.

By what AstroNerdBoy said I'm very interested in what #13 says O.o
Horitsuba

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
In defense to why CLAMP has unfinished works and just to add onto what AstroNerdBoy and a few others were saying, CLAMP has published 21 works over the course of 18 years. They haven't finished 3. There are many manga-ka that leave work unfinished and quite honestly, CLAMP didn't finish it because they didn't want to.

AstroNerdBoy explained X and Gohou Drug, but with Gohou Drug, recently, at Anime Expo, they did say that currently, nothing was wrong with it and they were going to resume it in the future. I'm assuming after Tsubasa and HOLiC. With CLOVER? It ran in a new magazine that got cancelled.

CLAMP goes by due dates. Whatever is due first, they try to finish it as soon as possible, which leaves no room to casually just finish up their other works that don't hold priority to get to the publishers as soon as they can. I got that impression from what they said at Anime Expo.

And I think the major problem with the news report was that it says that Kobato. has crossovers. They shouldn't have mentioned that because, like AstroNerdBoy said, almost ALL CLAMP works have cameos and crossovers. There isn't any major crossovers in Kobato., unlike Tsubasa, which IS a crossover. If they say that Kobato. has crossovers so casually, then they could have easily just have said that with any of CLAMP's other works.

Amount of Tsubasa crossovers =/= Amount of Kobato. crossovers. Not even by a long-shot.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
The premise reminds me of Snow Fairy Sugar somewhat.

Malintex Terek wrote:
So who owns the rights to this CLAMP title? ADV Manga?

ADV publishes Newtype USA and ADV Manga usually (if not always) later publishes their serialised manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2