• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Follow-Up: Adult Swim to Rerun Eureka 7's Finale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
Last time I checked, the ANN forums did not contain all, or even most of Adult Swim's fans in general. I think there are plenty of people out there that enjoy the irreverant attitute that the company takes towards programming and tv.

On the other hand, you do realize that it's precisely this "Anime is SERIOUS BUSINESS" attitude that sort of causes causal viewers and non-fans to make fun of hardcore fans, do you not?
Oh I'm sure there are plenty of people who find [adult swim]'s little jokes humerous. There are plenty of people who enjoy any number of things that would make another person angry or annoyed. I once knew a guy who liked to eat his own shirt sleeves, so I'm sure there are people who find those snide comments funny.

However, it's really not at issue whether or not some people aren't annoyed. Some people are and some people are sick of it. We're not the sum total of [adult swim]'s viewers, but that shouldn't matter. We deserve to be treated a little better.

What right does [adult swim]'s people have to insult viewers anyway? Does being a "hard core" fan, whatever that means, make you automatically some sort of inferior being deserving of scorn? Is it okay to mock some fans just because they're a little more passionate about being a fan? At what point does it suddenly become alright to start forgetting manners so you can make fun of someone who is different from you? *

The people who have been watching Eureka 7 on [adult swim] have invested their time, which can never be regained, in the show. They have a right to be annoyed. If the finale of 24 were screwed up in broadcast, I think it's fans would be upset too. If you've been reading a novel and discover that the last page is missing, you're going to be annoyed. Same thing as this situation with Eureka 7, just a different scale. If you're a fan of something, you're going to be annoyed when the ending gets screwed up unneccessarily.

The "SERIOUS BUSINESS" meme is rather out of place in this discussion, not to mention utterly without merit, as it's only rational to be upset when the finale of something is messed up. Anime fans are no different from any other manner of fan and everyone is a fan of something. Everyone takes something seriously that others couldn't care less about. Every person alive has something that matters to them that might not mean a darn thing to me or you or anyone else on the face of the world.

*I'm going to go ahead an tack on this disclaimer: I dealt with a lot of bullying when I was a kid so I really don't appreciate being made fun of by a bunch of idiots who think they're better than everyone else because they work at a TV network. Big freaking deal. Anyone can take their place if they have the right qualifications. I'm passionate on the subject of treating people with respect. I screw up from time to time, but I don't actively try to make people feel inferior to me and I don't like it when people try to make me feel worse about myself just so they can go "oh, yeah! I'm better than you!"
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Quote:
Some of you may still have some issues with it, but this is the best that we are allowed to show.
Does that sound ominous to anyone else? Exactly what wouldn't they be allowed to show? Confused

It certainly sounds like the folks at [adult swim] are trying to rectify their mistake. (Nice to know that Kim Manning has some pull and is willing to use it for our benefit and not just to keep fanservice levels low.) Still, I think they should all take note of the fact that fans, to put it mildly, feel that they are somewhat unappreciated.

The fact that they felt it necessary to say specifically "I hope you guys know that we would never butcher a show just to mess with you" seems to indicate that maybe some of the fan complaints were accusing them of exactly that.

Being a longtime [AS] fan and regular on their message boards myself, I can say that a lot of us fans really do feel underappreciated, seeing as how anime always gets the worst airtimes in the whole block and [AS] announced no new anime acquisitions or even ATTEMPTS to get new shows yet greenlit new seasons of unwatchable fifteen-minute non-comedies like Tim & Eric, Saul of the Mole Men, Assy McGee, and their ilk. Not to mention there's already existing shows on their block like Evangelion and Trigun that have been gathering dust for months.

linlinchan: Anime really is serious business. Razz All of us hardcore fans hate having our favorite shows edited like what happened this past Saturday night (Or even like what 4Kids did for that matter, but that's a topic for another thread), and we hate being left in the dark on whether or not [AS] or any other network is working on new acquisitions.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I had a feeling something was amiss when there was the "1 year later" portion and nothing following it. I've spent every Saturday night for the past 50 something odd weeks either hoping to or in fact watching the show and didn't miss a single episode. While I know AS tends to cut a lot of stuff, the one part of the entire series and that of any series that deserves to be ran from beginning to end without any edits would be the finale.

I'm both upset and happy with AS, but more so on the upset side. It's nice to get to see the ending a second time and in a more true form, but it's upsetting that it wasn't shown that way the first time and that they have the nerve to call it an accident when it was the furthest thing from their mind.
supercait86

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I saw a bump a little while ago on adult swim which basically said they messed up (accidentally) and were going to reair it. There may have been a snide remark in there that I missed though (it goes too fast for me, especially with the small [ ] font).

I was also a little worried about them saying that people still wouldn't be completely happy...

I'm glad that they did decide to reair it. I've stayed with it for all 50 episodes, so to have the final one cut off like that would have been way more than disappointing.

In terms of adult swim's treatment of anime and anime fans, it's pretty tiring. Insulting your viewers may be an attempt at humor, but it gets old. And I would always like to see more anime being shown. Which is why I was disappointed that nothing was announced to replace Eureka 7 (and looking at the schedule a while ago was not overjoyed with the notion that it would be replaced with more reruns).
juntha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope the 3 people that actually watched the show are gonna be happy. I can't wait to see this unedited episode at 1 am (or 4 am) this week end again lol.
That s a shame {AS} didn't do this 'unintentional' gaffe earlier. That would have given the show some much needed exposure... I mean... 20 posts for this news.. it s like 10 time more posts than that show had during the 50 weeks it was on air !

My view ? SOme should be happy E7 wasn't canceled to begin with.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

linlinchan: Anime really is serious business. Razz All of us hardcore fans hate having our favorite shows edited like what happened this past Saturday night (Or even like what 4Kids did for that matter, but that's a topic for another thread), and we hate being left in the dark on whether or not [AS] or any other network is working on new acquisitions.

Trust me, I'm an anime fan, not just someone here for no reason. I too know what being a "hardcore fan" of a series, and having something you love edited to beyond comprehensibility is like. THIS, however, is not one of those cases, so it seems strange to compare the two.

Not to mention that everyone here is acting as though [as] is picking on them specifically, and as though having a few short minutes accidentally/schedulewise cut off on a show (and one that MOST people who really cared about have already seen on fansub/DVD rental anyway) is a personal attack against them as fans.

I propose that the average anime fan is not the average [as] viewer... people's reactions here to bumps and the joking that goes on in the [as] community makes that quite clear. It seems foolish to get upset in the first place, as [as] is not Anime Network.
Jifty

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
Man, how the hell did I know this would be the reaction?

1) People take themselves way too seriously.

2) They're paranoid.

3) They have a persecution complex.

As soon as this happened, without waiting for any explanation, so many people started screaming as if it was the end of the world. How dare they? Because they own the damn station. You don't like it, write a letter to their sponsors and stop watching. But heaven forbid the overreactors actually do anything but post on a message board, where they think people will listen to them and praise them for their insight into the world!

I read in the other thead someone saying "How could it have been an accident when they had the shortened OP and ED?"

Um, because that's the way Bandai sent it to them?

In the intellectual masturbatory rush to blame Adult Swim for everything, they overlook the truth, because that would mean they'd actually have to think about something rather than just having a knee-jerk reaction.

I think I'll expand this and make it a rant for Hey Answerman.
Afax

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
It's nice that they are trying to fix this, but they whole "alloed" part does bother me. "allowed" by whom? Bandai? Was this some stunt on their part to drive up DVD sales? If so I hope it does just the opposite for them, that's not cool.

Its definitely not Bandais fault. I saw the episode on the Fix and it had the translated credits at the prologue and epilogue, and no edited OP and ED. Meaning whatever AS showed Saturday night, wasnt what Bandai sent them.
Jifty

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
Afax wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
It's nice that they are trying to fix this, but they whole "alloed" part does bother me. "allowed" by whom? Bandai? Was this some stunt on their part to drive up DVD sales? If so I hope it does just the opposite for them, that's not cool.

Its definitely not Bandais fault. I saw the episode on the Fix and it had the translated credits at the prologue and epilogue, and no edited OP and ED. Meaning whatever AS showed Saturday night, wasnt what Bandai sent them.

Um, yes, it is Bandai's fault. They're the ones who edited the episode for broadcast on TV.
raithnor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
jifty wrote:
Um, yes, it is Bandai's fault. They're the ones who edited the episode for broadcast on TV.

When asked the question "Why'd you make X edits for the show on cartoon network?" most industry reps will reply that they send Cartoon Network the original copies and that all edits are done on-site by Cartoon Network. It's only cases like One Piece where the dubbing company decided to re-edit the series for a younger demographic are the edits done by the dubbing company.

What's more likely is being the last show in a series it went slightly over time and cartoon network has a tendancy of using canned OPs and EDs. Worse comes to worse they could have always pre-empted the opening to Samurai Champloo a little. Sure people like that show also, but it's been re-run how many times?

Myself, I caught it on youtube.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:

What I'm saying is, maybe AS edited it, maybe Bandai edited it, we don't know, but whoever was talking as AS about "fixing it" indicated that this was somehow more difficult than simply choosing to air the corrected episode, as through "someone" was being difficult about it. That could only imply that someone outside of AS wanted the episode to air as it did on the broadcast version. Who would do that? Bandai might, if they thought it would cause people to buy the DVD.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
Not sure how it is on Adult Swim, but on Toonami, usually the broadcast station people (who are only following M.O. and thus don't know anything more about the actual shows) puts a tape/DVD/file copy of the OP, then puts in the copy of the episode proper (usually sans the OP and ED), then plays the copy of the ED.

Meaning, it's actually 3 segments, with the only thing constantly changing is the copy of the episode proper, which they receive from the production staff regularly. And unless they receive any new copies of OP or ED or new instructions, they'd keep doing the same thing. That's why sometimes Toonami shows keep the same OP or ED themes even when there are several different OP or ED themes in the anime.

But like I said, not sure how Williams Street handles Adult Swim though.

raithnor wrote:

When asked the question "Why'd you make X edits for the show on cartoon network?" most industry reps will reply that they send Cartoon Network the original copies and that all edits are done on-site by Cartoon Network.

That used to be more the case years ago, but (at least in Toonami, not so much in Adult Swim where there's less need for edits) CN said the editing work was costing its staff too much time and resources (particularly with Tenchi Muyo and all those digi-kinis).

So nowadays, unless a special case, CN just gives the anime companies some guidelines and let them do the editing work themselves. However, it does happen that CN doesn't have time to review the work before it's broadcast, and if there's any extra editing needed, instead of sending it back to the anime company then send again to CN, CN itself would do the extra editing - even for the rerun.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:32 am Reply with quote
juntha wrote:
My view ? SOme should be happy E7 wasn't canceled to begin with.

Rolling Eyes I don't quite think that's a fair comment. It would be fair if you said it about the video game, but the show itself has a LOT of merit. I understand people not liking it, but don't bash it for no reason.

I would be pissed had I seen the edited show too. By cutting the opening monologue and epliogue, you are taking away a vital piece of the original story. I saw it months ago through fansubs, and the two parts that they cut of the episode were actually really good. Better than most of the rest of the episode anyway.... well... except for the shot of the moon in the Epilogue, but whatever.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quote
Deleted. Cringe.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote
I'm going to watching it anyway. Good to hear that [AS] takes responsibility!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3