• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Gauges Interest in Limited Hetalia #3 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop needs to stay dead with the way they went out. I used to love the company but they began to make every release painful once they got 'bored' with a series.

They just need to let other companies handle it since they decided to cop-out.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I was TRULY HAPPY with what Tokyopop did, is make a wide-release of .hack//GU light novel 5, the last one. We .hack fans were lucky, but fans of other series with only 1 volume left... not so much Sad I can sympathize since I didn't think .hack would ever get done!

However, this is silly. Why publish vol 3 when the future volumes will never come out anyways? Besides, if the office is folded, how is this even continuing? 0_o I guess it was like .hack vol 5 and already done, but still...
I completely agree with the limited print thing being dumb. Give it to a good home like Yen or something!
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
It's true Hetalia was the only series I was following with Tokyopop but DAMN Stu Levy's shenanigans... I am conflicted.

Agree with a previous poster: Yen would be GREAT to pick up Hetalia (although realistically I think it'd be Viz? Since they have more... clout). Stu Levy dumped the manga business (an industry he considered "dying") because he'd rather make films like Van Von Hunter or whatever; it's awful to exploit the fans who actually love this stuff for a final quick buck (but certainly nothing I'd put past the guy!). As someone who actually genuinely loves manga, I'm really unhappy with this.

Stu Levy: possibly more deservedly despised man in anime and manga, after Al Kahn? You don't get your own EMPLOYEES blaming the decline of the company mostly on you from NOTHING.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
If another company could license-rescue Hetalia right now, they'd had done so already. If even Stu Levy could do it this late in the game, the license would've already been bought earlier.

And Japanese releases do limited releases all the time. Obviously it works. Razz
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
If another company could license-rescue Hetalia right now, they'd had done so already. If even Stu Levy could do it this late in the game, the license would've already been bought earlier.

Not if Stu was holding on to the rights. My guess is that he is sitting on a few titles, hoping to get a slice of the negotiations.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
As I said elsewhere: F*** DJ Milky, F*** TOKYOPOP, and F**** Stu Levy for good measure.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Not if Stu was holding on to the rights. My guess is that he is sitting on a few titles, hoping to get a slice of the negotiations.

I believe Tokyopop confirmed all of its licensed titles reverted back to their original owners.

Murder She wrote:

Tokyopop: Japanese Manga Licenses to Revert to Owners
posted on 2011-05-24 21:58 EDT

The international manga publisher Tokyopop, which is closing its North American publishing division at the end of this month, issued a statement on its Facebook page regarding the status of its series on Monday. The company confirmed that all of its licensed titles will revert back to their original owners, rather than being held by the company's remaining media division until the contracts expire.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
Looks like TP/Stu was lying, then because, if that were the case, he would have to negotiate the rights for the third book. I still say he's trolling.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:03 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Stu Levy: possibly more deservedly despised man in anime and manga, after Al Kahn? You don't get your own EMPLOYEES blaming the decline of the company mostly on you from NOTHING.

Lets be fair: Kahn is Anime's greatest scourge. DJ Milky is Manga's greatest scourge.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote
I loved the series Tokyopop had, but I dislike Stu Levy alot. And it makes me angry/sad to see fans on the FB page lapping this announcement up like starving dogs. For the love of God, DON'T say yes to this. It is unfair for one thing, and Stu need to GTFO of the manga business for good. Let someone else pick the series up so that they won't do a limited release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sorrior

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
The only thing I was TRULY HAPPY with what Tokyopop did, is make a wide-release of .hack//GU light novel 5, the last one. We .hack fans were lucky, but fans of other series with only 1 volume left... not so much Sad I can sympathize since I didn't think .hack would ever get done!

However, this is silly. Why publish vol 3 when the future volumes will never come out anyways? Besides, if the office is folded, how is this even continuing? 0_o I guess it was like .hack vol 5 and already done, but still...
I completely agree with the limited print thing being dumb. Give it to a good home like Yen or something!

You're damn right you were lucky i just had 1 last volume of Karin/Chibi vampire to go the last novel and then i woulda had it all the Manga the dvds the fanbook the side story manga AND the novels but now i'm one novel short.

So yeah i say let license revert and curse Stu to heaven or hell whichever is worse for him.

Oh and while i am a fellow .hack fan i never started collection the manga or light novels i'm sorry to say.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I believe Tokyopop confirmed all of its licensed titles reverted back to their original owners.

Murder She wrote:

Tokyopop: Japanese Manga Licenses to Revert to Owners
posted on 2011-05-24 21:58 EDT

The international manga publisher Tokyopop, which is closing its North American publishing division at the end of this month, issued a statement on its Facebook page regarding the status of its series on Monday. The company confirmed that all of its licensed titles will revert back to their original owners, rather than being held by the company's remaining media division until the contracts expire.

Quote:

The company confirmed that all of its licensed titles will revert back to their original owners, rather than being held by the company's remaining media division until the contracts expire.

Didn't say when they would revert.

Stu obviously still has the rights to Hetalia, at least.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
otakubaybay wrote:
I like the idea and I love Hetalia, but this offer honestly kind of upset me. Instead of publishing a volume from an UNFINISHED and ONGOING series, I'd MUCH rather see the LAST volume of Saiyuki Reload. Obviously we're not gonna be seeing Reload Blast or Gaiden from TP, but the least they can do is complete Saiyuki Reload. There was only one more volume! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ /rant

TP left Saiyuki & others out to dry long before they folded. I vaguely recalled they floated a fan translation project idea they tied directly to Saiyuki which I took to mean the title sold moderately, but wasn't really profitable so the chance of it seeing light/being re-licensed are about the same as that snowball in hell which is sad because Minekura's stuff is incredible. I know a lot of people have voiced dislike of her art, but the stories she writes are incredible-stick the knife in & twist it sort of painful stories. Saiyuki & Wild Adaptor both have it. Beautiful boys with tragic pasts saving the world. Too bad pretty fluff seems to sell so much better.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
I think what Stu is trying to do is very sleazy. I'm guessing he probably saw how we were trying to screw each other over on the secondary market for out-of-print manga and decided "hey, I want a piece of that!".

I had the other 2 volumes of Hetalia, but when TP shut down, I donated them and about 60-70 other books to my local library, not wanting to have too many incomplete series floating around - they had most of the volumes I was missing, except, of course for Hetalia, whose volume 3 became vaporware until Stu decides to go all Spaceballs on us and decides he NEEDS MORE MONEY!

I'd rather see TP's titles go into more capable hands than have this gods-damned flake have any more of my manga dollar. I say we take the money we WOULD use on the obvious cash-grab that is OMGLIMITEDEDITION Hetalia vol. 3 and give it to another publisher that got a title that TokyoPop lost. Sailor Moon, for example. That ought to send a message to both Sleazy Stu and the OOP scalpers that we don't want them.

Seriously, Milky, don't you have some fading into obscurity to do? Go on, time's a wastin'!
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
I was under the impression that Tokyopop has returned all licenses back to the original Japanese publisher so they could license them somewhere else. To hold the Hetalia license like that just reminds me of the whole bebeautiful fiasco. Stu, you left Tokyopop to deliver supplies to Sendai and then announced the plans to make a documentary in Japan while letting the company crumble. I think it's best you simply return the license and let another company work on Hetalia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5