• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Christian Manga, Bible with Japanese Artists Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:
I can't wait until someone does The God Delusion in manga format! Very Happy, you know, to keep everything balanced Razz

"What manner of meme is this?"
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
What do you know, we already have a "manga" Bible.

Called, The Manga Bible by British-Nigerian artist Siku.

Which one to get....

The Raw Edition... Extreme Edition...

Nah, I'll just hold until they get the EXTREMELY AWESOME EDITION, it'll contain real parts of the Longinus spear! Very Happy

And the covers look like they were taken from 80's hair metal albums Anime hyper
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I'd always pictured Jesus with flowing hair. LOL on his sweet beard.
Another item to add to the- "Mom I love manga, buy me some manga for Chirstmas"

And then you get the Manga Bible. Or some other Christian knock off of whatever is popular. Though at least this one is made my japanese artists.

I'm still waiting for a Christan rapper to take the beat from Party Like a Rock Star and change it to "Party Like a Christian."

Last edited by britannicamoore on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cl4y

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
To those who look at this and see super-conservative parents feeding their children Christian propaganda in manga form, don't forget that it's a two-way road. This will be far more useful as a tool for children feeding their super-conservative parents manga propaganda in Christian form.

"See, Mom and Dad? Manga and anime can't possibly be evil, just look at The Manga Bible and In the Beginning: Bible Stories!"
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:

"What manner of meme is this?"

Anime hyper

And that's why Southpark is all kinds of awesome Anime hyper
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I think its okay. The art might be along the lines of Serenity as christian manga . But i would give it a look despite not being in that religion.

I guess its created as a way to get otaku youth into christ. Nothing really wrong with that unless it forced down their throats in a harsh manner.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
And Jesus entered Neo-Bethlehem, riding a giant robot, and the people cried "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord," and danced to the tune of Lucky * Star. And Jesus prayed "God is in His Heaven, All is right with the world." And then he showed off his leet DDR skillz with Tamriel.
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Another item to add to the- "Mom I love manga, buy me some manga for Chirstmas"

And then you get the Manga Bible. Or some other Christian knock off of whatever is popular. Though at least this one is made my japanese artists.

I'm still waiting for a Christan rapper to take the beat from Party Like a Rock Star and change it to "Party Like a Christian."

You gotta be specific about that "some manga" because then you will get Christian manga. Say "no Christian in any way shape or form manga". Very Happy

About the Christian rapping that hasn't happened yet? Surprised And I thought Christian music has hit every musical style by now.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
And Jesus entered Neo-Bethlehem, riding a giant robot, and the people cried "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord," and danced to the tune of Lucky * Star. And Jesus prayed "God is in His Heaven, All is right with the world." And then he showed off his leet DDR skillz with Tamriel.

So does that mean the jews danced the Hare hare yukai?

(im so going to hell for that. )

eyesopen0791 wrote:

About the Christian rapping that hasn't happened yet? Surprised And I thought Christian music has hit every musical style by now.

It has. Christian techno is actually pretty cool and Tbone is some awesome hip hop.

Last edited by Viga_of_stars on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Actually as a christian nerd, this is incredibly exciting to me. The picture of the cover looks really good. I think I will purchase this. Now that the OTHER "manga bible" link has been posted, I may look into getting that one too! Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

Only if KyoAni corresponds to John the Baptist.
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

(im so going to hell for that. )

Oh, you are, you are. But you'll be laughing so hard as you do. And now that I can't get that image out of my head, I'm gonna die laughing at work.

Viga_of_stars wrote:
It has. Christian techno is actually pretty cool and Tbone is some awesome hip hop.

Heh, I'm showing my age, but I liked Christian music because sometimes I wanted cleaner music. I enjoyed Amy Grant (pop), Petra (heavy metal) and Creed (grunge). Haven't kept up with though. Will have to check out the techno though since I loved that type of music.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I didn't notice if they include the Old Testament in with the New. I hope they do because then you could really see some good artwork with the battles and the fighting and the sex and the magic. I don't believe in the Christian Bible as a religious text, but it's great historical fiction.

As far as Revelations goes, try this: http://www.e-sheep.com/apocamon/
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little wary because "Manga Messiah" still looks Christopher Hart-ish (and it's done by Japanese artists? Well, being Japanese doesn't mean you're good, right...), but you know, if it's good, then cool.

There's definitely a "Hey kids, look! Maaaaaaanga!" kind of gross vibe here, but the fact that they actually TRIED to make it something authentic puts it bounds above lots of other cash-in-on-the-manga-craze companies, religious AND secular. I get the feeling that the guy who came up with this idea is maybe a fan who wants to reconcile these oft-opposing worlds? In which case I'd say bravo. If not, well, whatever.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Funny thing was that many Christians didn't like 'Pokemon'. But again anime has held a high standing in the animation dept. in the past years.

I remember seven years ago people told me Picachu (sp?) was one of the devils and the entire show is satanic. I guess the whole anime thing is like teh Anglican Church and Harry Potter. Before, they claimed it was satanic, now they are using Harry to spread the Christian message.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/17/npotter217.xml

I don't think Creed is Christian music. POD is, but I don't think Creed is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8