• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Takes Over Geneon's Sales, Marketing, Distribution

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I've, actually, been seeing Geneon titles for $20 at Best Buy nowadays. Weird. But I really hope they'll help distribute better trailers for Geneon. It's difficult enough just getting to the trailers menu without skipping past it. But, I may be a little ahead of myself here.

As for conflict of interest, that's a tricky thing in the anime industry. I mean, in this industry, we're all generally anime fans and we all want to see one's titles as much as the next guy's stock, right? So there's really no reason to make conflict to begin with. But, nowadays, there have been some strange things going on in the industries; ADV just lost Golden Boy to another company, and Funimation's rereleasing Slayers and Love Hina.

In any case, the synergy thing should help them forgo any unnecessary legal problems.

Last edited by prime_pm on Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Note that I'm talking about magazine ads, where average fans are likely to see them...
This is just my opinion but I think magazine ads are near-worthless anyway. I don't think they have much to do with how well a title sells. Who buys those anime magazines anyway? I sure don't.

Some people buy them, sure. But people who buy those magazines and ALSO keep up-to-date by downloading fansubs, checking online sites, etc....don't count. Why? Because they will have sufficient "advertisement" through their own means (downloading fansubs, etc).

It's only people who buy a lot of those magazines, who DON'T download ANY anime...but yet buy a lot of anime, but NOT every single title that comes out (there are some people like this too)...that are affected by these ads. Now tell me, do you know a single such person? I bet not. Certainly, it's not the "average fan" who fits that description.

I could be wrong, but the only regular poster on this entire board who never downloads anime but buys a reasonable amount of anime is probably me, and I never read those mags...

I'd read them if they were free, though. But I'd rather use my money to buy another title and take my chances than buy one of those anime mags, which to me are a little too geeky.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I could be wrong, but the only regular poster on this entire board who never downloads anime but buys a reasonable amount of anime is probably me, and I never read those mags...

I'd have to disagree with you being the only one here doing that.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
mean? ADV will just put commercials and ads of geneon titles in Newtype and on Anime Network?
I've never bought a Newtype USA mag before but I know that it is clearly associated with ADVision. However, are you saying that Newtype USA only has ADVision titles in it? I don't think that's true because there have been covers of Haruhi, Gun x Sword, Hack//Sign, etc in the past. But again, I've never looked inside so I'm not sure. And I dunno if Newtype USA is "biased" towards ADVision titles inside or not. Maybe a Newtype USA reader can enlighten me?
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
I'd have to disagree with you being the only one here doing that.
That's fine, but there probably aren't too many. So, are you one of these people, musashi?
musashi1600

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
That's fine, but there probably aren't too many. So, are you one of these people, musashi?

Doesn't buy anime-related magazines, doesn't download anime, and buys DVDs as my primary method of getting my fix? Yeah, that's me. Wink
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I wonder if that includes prices as well. I can almost imagine a Geneon DVD title on Best Buy costing only $19.99 like all the other ADV's DVDs.
This does bring up an interesting point. A couple years ago all Geneon anime DVDs and Funimation DVDs and ADVision DVDs costed $20 at Best Buy. But after that, most Geneon DVDs have been $25 at Best Buy and have remained so to this day. Funimation DVDs have oscillated between $20 or $23 (exactly one of these two prices, nothing in between, and it has nothing to do with the actual anime title, it's random because it varies from volume to volume), which seems stupid but oh well. ADVision has remained at $20 for the most part at Best Buy.

But at Suncoast, the prices of titles from these 3 studios is generally identically discounted (when a New Release). So it's strange. And only Geneon gets the super huge 50% to 75% off discounts from time-to-time. ADVision never gets discounts at all. I once saw Bandai Ent get a 50% off discount but that was like 4 years ago.

Like Hitokiri said, it's hard to say if these new developments will make the cost of Geneon stuff like ADVision stuff. But IF it happens, would that be good or bad? At least with the current state of things it would be bad because we would lose the occasional Geneon 50% to 75% off sales at Suncoast. A couple months back I got the Last Exile entire boxset for only $23...and the Mahoromatic entire boxset for only $23...because of that.
Quote:
I wonder if we're going to get BETTER TRAILERS this time.
In my opinion the Geneon trailers are far better than the ADVision trailers. The Geneon trailers have been inconsistent, with some just being OPs as you said, but not always. ADVision trailers have been inconsistent with some being OPs also. Overall I have liked the Geneon trailers much more. ADVision trailers tend to have the annoying ADV dub VAs speaking stupid lines over them, and they tend to focus on stupid things like breasts and butts for no good reason. Some of the Geneon trailers have been really good, such as the Fate/Stay Night trailer, which I think is the same footage as on the Fate/Stay Night Japanese R1 curtain-raiser DVD...which is really valuable stuff seeing as it mostly consists of high-quality footage that was never used in the actual Fate/Stay Night series. The only bad things about that Geneon trailer were: 1) it is in Japanese and not translated in any way 2) it's letterboxed instead of anamorphic widescreen

Last edited by Porcupine on Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
As a likely futile attempt to curb all the baseless speculation and rumormongering that will likely result in this thread, keep in mind that this story is effectively a leak; official details will likely come next week from either company.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
Doesn't buy anime-related magazines, doesn't download anime, and buys DVDs as my primary method of getting my fix? Yeah, that's me. Wink
Hah, you are exactly like me then. Anyways, you don't buy the mags either so just like me, you aren't someone who is affected by the magazine ads.

In the whole world there are probably almost 0 people who are heavily affected by those ads but again that's just my opinion.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

In the whole world there are probably almost 0 people who are heavily affected by those ads but again that's just my opinion.

You're basing this on what, the fact that you personally don't read magazines?

Does the sun revolve around you as well, or just the earth?
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
But, nowadays, there have been some strange things going on in the industries; ADV just lost Golden Boy to another company, and Funimation's rereleasing Slayers and Love Hina.
It's not that strange and it's not that new, either. Things like this happen when a company's license to domestically release that title run out. It may seem like recently this is on the rise but it has happened before. It just doesn't happen very often because a company's license to release a title naturally lasts for quite a while, and when that license expires it's not usually an attractive anime title for other studios to pick up. In the case of Love Hina and Slayers it makes sense, seeing as Funi has been showing Slayers on TV for years now anyway...and Love Hina is related to Negima which Funimation also has acquired all the rights to.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I am just stating my opinion. Do you even know a single person who fit all my criteria above? I will re-state them for you.

1) has NEVER downloaded any anime fansub before
2) buys at least two or three anime titles each month, but not more than ten (this would count as "buying everything" in which case advertising is not relevant to such people)
3) buys all the anime magazines that come out

If you can honestly say "yes" to that then you might have a LITTLE evidence that I'm wrong. If MOST of the people you know are like that, then I'm clearly wrong.

But I'm guessing you don't even know a single person like that.

Last edited by Porcupine on Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
But, nowadays, there have been some strange things going on in the industries; ADV just lost Golden Boy to another company, and Funimation's rereleasing Slayers and Love Hina.
It's not that strange and it's not that new, either. Things like this happen when a company's license to domestically release that title run out. It may seem like recently this is on the rise but it has happened before. It just doesn't happen very often because a company's license to release a title naturally lasts for quite a while, and when that license expires it's not usually an attractive anime title for other studios to pick up. In the case of Love Hina and Slayers it makes sense, seeing as Funi has been showing Slayers on TV for years now anyway...and Love Hina is related to Negima which Funimation also has acquired all the rights to.

True. Makes sense. I just feel I'm going to miss ADV Films' Golden Boy, mostly. For an English dub, Doug Stone was a trip as Kentaro. Love Hina makes more sense because of both series of Negima here and there, not to mention Bandai's dubbing was lousy back then (still no word on redubbing the show, right?).

As for magazines, I may occasionally pick up a free mag at a convention if it suits me. Otherwise, I have the internet. And Netflix.

Last edited by prime_pm on Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Golden Boy was just a random occurence I think. I'm curious how the Anime Works version will be, too. Since I don't have the ADVision DVD version of Golden Boy (I didn't buy it even when it was cheap) I might get the Anime Works version. But I want to get the better version. Mainly I care about the DVD authoring and encoding quality though, moreso than the dub. I never heard the Golden Boy dub that's why so I dunno (I only have the subtitled old ADV VHS tapes).
musashi1600

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Porcupine wrote:

Does the sun revolve around you as well, or just the earth?

Advertising anime may have the aim of convincing people to buy a certain title, but in my experience, I haven't seen or heard of anyone (ranging from relatively new fans only familiar with major titles like Inuyasha and reading various anime magazines, to long-timers who have seen dozens of varied titles and stick with the Internet) who bought an anime on the sole basis of an ad, regardless of whether it was in a magazine, on a web page banner, or an actual banner at a convention. Instead, I see people basing their decisions on what they hear from other fans (word-of-mouth), or by catching a screening at a con, club, or even borrowing a friend's DVDs. The most I've seen advertising do is alert people that a given title exists, and may warrant further inquiry.

Like I've said, this is just my personal experience, so there is the possibility numerous people I don't know have bought an anime because they saw it advertised in a magazine. I personally doubt that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11