• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Action anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Dan42's linked explanation post states that Adventure and Fantasy can be mixed, I think. He only says that certain combinations are not allowed. I myself also said that I thought Full Metal Alchemist was both Adventure and Fantasy. Anyways, I'm just going by what Dan42 defined, I don't necessarily agree with him on every little thing, but I don't see any reason for me to nitpick and I'm very impressed by the clarity of his definitions.

I don't think your name is cheesy. It seems very original to me. Dang you changed your avatar. I liked your old one better. I like Noizi Ito's art in general, plus you were using such an avatar when I first saw you, so that image sticks in my mind of you I guess. You seem weird when you have a different avatar oh well. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quote
Time for some action! Been in a mood to watch some old classic (not really classics) fighting action titles. These are tournament anime, no these 3 are just full of fist of fury.

The first one stands alone as it wasn't just cheesy action. That titles is Fatal Fury. Perhaps one of the only good video game to anime adaptations and it was a fighting game to boot. The voicing and animation were pretty good for it's time and the OVA's and later movie actually had decent plots. The OVA's stuck to the game material but they were pretty good and not corny one liner filled crap fests (A-la Tekken or Toshinden). The movie actually provided unique material and I though did a damn good job of moving past the game material while still incorporating elements from the games. A good set of action filled OVA's and a movie that let ya sit back and just bask in the manly glow lol.

The other 2 are guilty pleasures and honestly are not great at all lol. I'm talking about Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer & Vareable Geo. They're cheesy action OAV's with poor plots and dubbing and outlandish fighting with big breasted women with clothes getting ripped up. Why bother to watch these then you might ask? Because sometimes you just gotta sit down and enjoy the cheesy shows because they just make ya smile. They're so ridiculous you can't help but laugh and enjoy them every so often. Think of it like the times where you could have Prime Rib but wanna just sit back and relax with some pizza and beer. That's when you pop these in the dvd player and just bask in cheesy glow. Very Happy
young98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
Naruto, Naruto:Shippuden the story line isn't extremely deep, but for an action anime, it doesn't have to be, some episodes of this anime step up the animation 10 levels for important fights, and you'll be glad they did, not that the everyday animation is bad, some of the notable fights to watch should be: Haku vs Naruto, Rock Lee vs Gaara, Third Hokage vs Orochimaru, Sasuke vs Naruto part 1, Sasuke vs Naruto part 2, Rock Lee vs Kimimaru, and Sakura + Chiyo vs Sasori, just to name a few

another great action anime is Yu Yu Hakusho, the animation is the same throughout, but it's still good, the whole Dark Tournament is going to have great fights and cool powers galore

another one is Hajime no Ippo, now this anime doesn't have fire blasts or ice strikes or wtvr, but it's a boxing anime, and even though it's supposed to be realistic to a certain level, the techniques used are pretty cool, the animation at first may bug you, but it improves as the series goes on

there's more, but why don't you try these out first
Mocca

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
It is a great series if you like Gundam.
This series Mobile Suit Gundam 00 is a really interesting and it makes you really anticipate for the next episode.
Here is the summary :

It is the year A.D. 2307. Despite finally obtaining an energy source superior to the exhausted fossil fuels, mankind is still involved in continuous warfare. In an attempt to finally stop this violence, the Celestial Being organization dispatches four Gundam Meisters. Their mission: use force to finally end all conflicts.
GreatTeacherKen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: It's mecha, but it's pretty action-intensive (almost every episode has a fight scene of some sort) But all of the action drives the storyline (which I think is well-written) forward and the show is very fast-paced. But despite the fast pace, the characters are very well-developed and plus it's has a great score by Taku Iwasaki.

Plus, the entire series pretty much epitomizes the word epic. Cool
fruitsbasket94

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I really like Samari Champloo. It is funny and has alot of action. I also really like Bleach and Cowboy bebop. My all time favorite action anime is Black Cat. I read the manga though. Its really cool. Very Happy The Charicters in cowboy bebop have good personalities. Like there well developed. It has alot of fight scenes in it too. In Black cat is about a Ex-assasine who turns into a bounty hunter. Its really good. I haven't tried the anime for it but I have read the manga for it. Its really good. Smile
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to recommend Hunter X Hunter. It's from the guy who created Yu Yu Hakusho, and it has plenty of fights, training, and action. I really shouldn't need to describe it since mostly everyone here has already seen it. I watched it like 2 years ago and I forgot how good it was. When I rewatched it last week I blew through the whole series and OAV's (something like 90 episodes) in about 5 days. It's so addictive.

Now I'm going through withdrawal. I need more Hunter X Hunter Sad
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
FLMikeATT wrote:
I'm going to have to recommend Hunter X Hunter. It's from the guy who created Yu Yu Hakusho, and it has plenty of fights, training, and action. I really shouldn't need to describe it since mostly everyone here has already seen it. I watched it like 2 years ago and I forgot how good it was. When I rewatched it last week I blew through the whole series and OAV's (something like 90 episodes) in about 5 days. It's so addictive.

Now I'm going through withdrawal. I need more Hunter X Hunter Sad

I have a problem with recommending Hunter X Hunter as an action anime. Don't get me wrong I love the series however the first half of the TV series lacks in the action department and is more focused on telling the story and developing the characters. Where the action does pick up is the 2nd half. As this is an action anime recommendation thread I think that for an anime to be recommended the action in the anime has to be consistent throughout the series.

As for my own recommendation I would have to say the film Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is a good recommendation. I recently just viewed the film and found it to be splendid. If its action you want the film packs a lot of it and its all well choreographed and animated beautifully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
I found Gantz to be an excuisite action series. It took a little for me to like it but after watching the whole series I can rate it up there close to Ghost in the Shell and Black Lagoon. It was original from the start and although a bit on the sci-fi side it still managed to stay bound to the earthly laws of the world it created. I usually don't like anything that has aliens and robots but this series was done with a lot of style, and the mature content really aided me in taking this one seriously. If you like a lot of blood, gore, sex, and violence, this one definitely ranks amoung the top.
TsC_BaTToSai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
How the living crap can you endorse an anime that has absolutely NO ending? Gantz seriously angered me. Meh to each their own i guess
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
Well its true it didn't have an ending, and I attribute it to the company probably wanting to leave the possibility of another season open, but if you look at Black Lagood or Ghost in the Shell you can't say that they have concrete endings either. Actually the only concrete ending that I can think of at the moment is Basilisk and Blue Gender .
TsC_BaTToSai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
omg there are tons of concrete endings in action anime! Rurouni Kenshin, S-Cry-Ed, Eureka 7, Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, The 12 Kingdoms...this is just off the top of my head.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
TsC_BaTToSai wrote:
omg there are tons of concrete endings in action anime! Rurouni Kenshin, S-Cry-Ed, Eureka 7, Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, The 12 Kingdoms...this is just off the top of my head.

Woah, calm down. Not everyone values each aspect of an anime equally, and some of them don't really care about the ending. He's recommending it based on the criteria that he thinks make it belong in this category: action. I'll agree I don't think it's the best show on here, but it does have pretty good action at times, and if that's what you came here looking for, it fits the bill more than passably.

Additionally, 12 Kingdoms is anything but "action", and while the ending it has in episode 39 can pass as an ending, it's not an iota more of a real ending than Gantz got.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
guet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I would like to elaborate a bit on one of the titles mentioned earlier.
For outright action/shounen I don't think there is a better series out there than Rurouni Kenshin. I feel some more information should be given to those looking to get into it though.

The first season, while funny and with some high points, is nothing compared to the second season. If I would rate the series based on the Kyoto arc alone, I would not hesitate to give it a masterpiece rating. It manages to bring emotion, action, great characters, and actually creates a very large cast without it getting confusing. The third season, while watchable, is only filler material that does not come close to the greatness of the second season.

Also, after watching the second season, I highly recommend watching the OVA's Samurai X, Trust & Betrayl. These I have rated as masterpiece. A word of warning however, these are much more violent and dark than the television series. Personally I love that fact, but to each their own.
I also enjoyed the third OVA, Reflections, but it seems to be one of those things that you either love or hate.

A couple other of my favorite action titles are:
Blue Gender Think of this as an alternate version of Starship Troopers (the movie, not the book). Although the animation is sometimes spotty, I enjoyed the concept, and there is a serious romance undertone that I think adds quite a bit to the overall experince.

Berserk Prepare yourself for a twisted tale of demons, loss and friendship set in a midevil setting. Lots of blood, an excellent english dub in my opinion (watch the outakes, you will not be dissapointed) are only a couple of the high points. And a story that leaves you wanting more. To be honest, I started the manga after watching the series, and to this day it is the only manga series that I read. It is that good that I just have to find out what happens.

Other titles that I believe deserve some attention. Outlaw Star, Claymore,Bleach,and Noir. Each of these, although differant, all have moments of excellent action, and I don't hesitate to recommend any of them.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
TsC_BaTToSai wrote:

I don't consider Eureka 7 as an action series, it fits more into the sci-fi adventure category. Also Samurai champloo did not have a concrete ending, they seperated and went their own ways, there are plenty of opportunities to have another season there. Same thing for Trigun, spoiler[he just walks into the sunset like a cowboy in a western].
And again I'm sure there are a lot of ACTION series out there with concrete endings its just that at the moment those were the only ones I could think of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8