• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
5 Centimeters Per Second (movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
A bit OT here, but what the hey--
dormcat wrote:
Nah. Couples being separated by passing trains is a fairly common way to figuratively present the distance between the two. I wouldn't call one ripping off the other.

Really?? I dunno. It seemed like it ought to be a common motif, but I had a hard time thinking up any other examples. What are some of the ones you were thinking of?
dormcat wrote:
Why do you think I'd write this reply then? Wink

Ha! But I knew you'd probably be the only one to respond. !! Razz
I find, in this forum, that if you don't ask some sort of pointed question at the end of a post, people tend to not know how to respond (or don't at all). Thus, I tend to try to guide the conversation a bit to get it going sometimes.

Also, thanks for all the info on the movie. I knew it wasn't released in the US, but I had presumed it must have been released other places. Your point about the director is valid as well-- although this is the guy who did KOR and Maison Ikkoku. I thought that might have some value, but I guess not. Those titles are probably too old.

Still, even when I've brought it up on this board, people tend to under-appreciate Ocean Waves-- even those who've seen it. It's too simple, or too quiet, or not very well animated, etc etc. Which is all well and good, but there are usually _some_ people who are big fans of those types of shows (Haibani, or Mushishi, or Kino's Journey, or YKK). I've never found that the case with this movie though, which I really love-- and that sort of seemed odd to me. Particularly since it's Ghibli.

Oh well.
ace52387

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Trains separating people, not just couples, a pretty common dramatic device, in romantic comedies from Hollywood, action movies, and I wouldn't say it's uncommon in Anime (a quick example i remember is from one of the first few episodes of Evangelion), so I agree with dormcat that it's not really a ripoff. It's a simple way to show that a person's mind is on that one person that he thinks he sees, and there's tension building up as he waits impatiently for the train to pass. I think that's pretty much the straight up point of that scene in Ocean Waves, since the actual distance between the two main characters aren't the focus of the film.

In 5cm spoiler[ because it was probably an illusion, and he realizes this after the train passes, the train seems to represent all the unstoppable forces that have separated them. I can't really say I see any symbolism in the scene in Ocean Waves though.][/spoiler]
d.yaro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
All this talk about "Umi ga Kikoeru" (Ocean Waves) made me realize it's something I haven't watched since I first purchased it at least a couple of years ago (I have a legit R2 DVD of it - with English subtitles). Thinking back to it, I'd hazard to say the impact of it was lighter on me than what I got out of "Byosoku 5cm". There was enough of a buildup in the last story in "Byosoku 5cm" to make me hope there'd be a moment of redemption or magic to seal off the circle, so to speak, encompassing Takaki and Akari. Instead I was left staring stunned at the screen thinking to myself "No way...".
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I agree-- trains are all over the place-- from Anna Karenina to Before Sunrise, but what I don't see is trains separating people being used much as a metaphoric device (rather than a plot device where, say, someone gets away in a chase scene because of an oncoming train). Everyone keeps saying its a normal thing, but I still can't really think of any other examples besides these two. I'm sure there must be others, but I can't think of any. Does anyone else have a bunch of examples (in anime or otherwise)?

As for the metaphoric resonance in Ocean Waves, I think it's very direct, and just as obvious as 5 cm- it's odd to me that you'd say otherwise ace. True, both "train" scenes happen towards the end of the dramatic action, chronologically speaking-- but what they frame is the main characters shift in thought regarding the girl. The first scene-- at the beginning of the movie, where she's gone after the train passes-- is before he goes home for the highschool reunion. The second scene-- at the end of the movie-- is after the reunion, when he realizes how much he wanted to see her, and how disappointed he was that she wasn't there.

Plus, as so much of the movie shows, there is a lot of distance between them before the reunion-- upsetting things were left uncompleted when they all graduated. To me that's the real thrust of the film-- how they keep pushing each other apart, when they ought to be growing closer ..... So yeah, I think the train passing (at the beginning of the film) and then her not being there is very representative of where he's at-- he wishes he could see her, but doesn't get to. He also doesn't realize what a wasted opportunity that was until after the reunion-- thus, spoiler[his changed response when he sees her the second time, as he races down the stairs to try and catch her].

Also, I didn't mean to imply that 5 cm was "ripping off" Ocean Waves-- quite the contrary. I think I said "riffing on" it, but if I didn't say that, it's what I meant. More that 5 cm was echoing it in some way, or responding to it-- as they are also both dealing with similar subjects, namely, nostalgia, young relationships that haven't worked out, regret, etc.
ace52387

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
as so much of the movie shows, there is a lot of distance between them before the reunion-- upsetting things were left uncompleted when they all graduated. To me that's the real thrust of the film-- how they keep pushing each other apart, when they ought to be growing closer ..... So yeah, I think the train passing (at the beginning of the film) and then her not being there is very representative of where he's at-- he wishes he could see her, but doesn't get to. He also doesn't realize what a wasted opportunity that was until after the reunion-- thus, spoiler[his changed response when he sees her the second time, as he races down the stairs to try and catch her].

I see your point. The last scene in Ocean waves shows a lot about the main character (I can't for the life of me remember this guy's name) through his different reaction to the same situation, but that's not really metaphorical. In 5cm spoiler[ the whole first episode was about their separation, and an uneasiness about whether they would ever see each other again. Both the snow storm and actually moving apart really resonates with the train scene. There's this big obstacle between them. The scene almost sums up the first episode, just with opposite results. Thinking about it now, the train works as a metaphor for distance and separation in Ocean Waves too, but I didn't see it that way when I watched it because it doesn't tie back to a big part of the movie. Their separation was given like 1 minute of narration, and I feel like the realization that these loose ends caused by hard-headedness need to be tied up is the message in the end, not what drove them apart, or what it felt like being driven apart, so it didn't occur to me as important.]

I remember one scene in that George Clooney and Catherine Zeta Jones movie about stealing stuff. The Evangelion one I mentioned as well. I don't remember either very well, but I do remember that even if they weren't metaphorical, they did illustrate the emotions of the characters, unlike a similar scene in one of the Bourne movies or Kiss of the Dragon, where it is not only a dramatic device, but a plot major device as well.

As for the ripoff thing, haha I knew what you meant, and I'm not sure why I typed ripoff. The two don't really seem like pairs simply with different results though, so I can't see it as a response to Ocean Waves. spoiler[ The train scene along with the music video at the end of 5cm shows how Takaki just can't get over Akari, and is constantly devoting some of his attention to looking for her. As a grown up, I don't think Takaki has all that many regrets about Akari. He just never found anyone that gave him the same thing she did. In Ocean Waves, it just seems like the main character doesn't want his relationship with Rikako to be left at that abrupt end. Both play on nostalgia, but they inspired decidedly different emotions in me; and they weren't really opposites either.]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Maybe most people simply forgot about it (not currently on air or being solicited in US, plus the two latter parts are not as widely available in fansub form). It has no action, no fan service, no epic adventure. All it has was bittersweet and somewhat immature (albeit forgivable) romance.

I never forgot about it by any means...I was waiting for a certain fansub group to release it, but they never did due to the licensing announcement. So I'm doing the honorable thing and waiting for ADV's relase. Too bad it wasn't solicited in time for TRSI's sale, though.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I should add that its box office has exceeded licensor's expectation in Taiwan. Originally, they only arranged one theater in Taipei (the biggest city) for a single week, with only the premiere Friday in the great hall with ~1000 seats; all the following days are screened in smaller rooms with ~150 seats. However, soon after the premiere they changed the schedule so every following screening is in the great hall, plus an additional week on air. A week later they announced a new screening plan in four additional theaters in four respective cities. Shocked

Interesting. Does anyone know how long the film played in Japan? My understanding is that it had a limited run in a theatre in Shibuya and that was it. This leads to another flight of fancy on my part: Having ADV license the film and release it on R1 DVD is nice but it would've been nicer if they had the resources to get the film into theatres in North America. This is one film I would've liked to watch in a theatre as opposed to on a 26" TV screen.

There's one thing about ADV that makes me cringe when I think of them releasing this movie on R1 DVD - their propensity of placing English translations of Japanese signage over the original artwork. And they don't offer the option of turning off English subtitles/translations in conjunction with selecting the Japanese audio track. (Yes, I purchased this title on R2 DVD. No, I won't be purchasing an R1 DVD release of it. Why should I? I already own it.)
SmashRackets4Fun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I agree, this film is a great film. I never liked cliche western romantic films where guy meets girl, then they are seperated by some kind of family issue or work issue or some kind of cliche problem then they get together in the end... its just not realistic. This anime is really down to earth and highly believable. Im sure we all know girls that got away and we stopped talking to after a while and regreted it. I know I have. Its easy to relate. And the artwork is fantastic. I saw it twice already. Good stuff.
theeonegook89

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
the artwork and the background scenes was brought up really well, from the lighting to the movement of trees and plants, as a whole, the artwork and narration of each character put me in a peaceful and melancholic state.

As for the story, it was very depressing for them to not have got back together, but thats how things really are in this world. Happy endings are rarely found in our lives and thats why the ending to this movie gave me a swift kick to the nuts. To put it simply, everyone can relate to this movie....the pain of seperation, loss..etc.

As for the ending, it was something I didn't expect to be which was a good thing. Usually the romance/drama movies or anime movies come up with a happy or heartbreaking ending thats being said out or acted out but for this movie it was very different and refreshing. The best part about the ending was that they fill in all the little gaps that was skipped or not put into detail throughout the whole movie and the song was very nice, something that all japanese people can relate to. I heard from some other forum..forgot which...but the song was also used in a very popular japanese movie. And so the song somewhat gave the japanese viewers a closer relation to the movie and the cast of characters.

Overall 5/5, Its a special little something definately worth watching, no whack magic, no mech suits, no outrageous body movements that defy physics, Its an all down to earth, real life-like story.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
Also, have to say if you're looking for a sort of "up beat" version of this story that is still true to life, I'd watch the afore mentioned Ocean Waves. I really liked 5cm, don't get me wrong, and as many here have mentioned I think we can all relate to "the one that got away"-- still, though, love does happen. I thought Ocean Waves has its own version of this story. Its sweet, down to earth, not over the top in the least, very realistic, and yet .... not a total downer.

Still, yes, 5cm was very very well done. And should get seen more.
burhanbaik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
thank you for mentioning ocean waves. never heard of it before. quite good, sad that it's not that well known. i just can't see how people relate ocean waves and byousoku 5cm, they're different in all ways. theme, background etc. the only similarity is the passing-train-blocking-view scene. while in ocean the characters search for love that could be, in byousoku they struggle to let go the love that can't be and move on. both great movies, but for me byousoku delivers better; far greater emotional impact.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
burhanbaik wrote:
i just can't see how people relate ocean waves and byousoku 5cm, they're different in all ways. theme, background etc. the only similarity is the passing-train-blocking-view scene.

In OW, fate brought two very different people together; in 5cm, fate separated an undoubtedly loving couple.

burhanbaik wrote:
both great movies, but for me byousoku delivers better; far greater emotional impact.

Romeo and Juliet (I'm not talking about its anime adaption) wouldn't be one of the greatest screenplays in history if the couple live happily ever after.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
qtipbrit92

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
theeonegook89 wrote:
As for the ending, it was something I didn't expect to be which was a good thing. Usually the romance/drama movies or anime movies come up with a happy or heartbreaking ending thats being said out or acted out but for this movie it was very different and refreshing... I heard from some other forum..forgot which...but the song was also used in a very popular japanese movie. And so the song somewhat gave the japanese viewers a closer relation to the movie and the cast of characters.

Yes, the song was used in, I believe, a popular Japanese movie? (Correct me if I'm mistaken.)
According to Shinkai, the useage of such a popular song would attribute to the fact that the movie was portraying reality and that such incidents are not out of the ordinary, and as stated, not everyone has a happy end.

Continuing, I too found the movie to be very touching. The animation quality was amazing, (though not KyoAni quality, in my opinion) though I personally prefer the more common animated feel as opposed to the more semi-realistic animation often used in Ghible titles and anime movie productions.
Though obviously wrenching, I found the fact that spoiler[he was finally able to move on, as made clear by his continuing in the closing scenes, without the need to look back at the familar face, and essentially, back at his life. For those who were wondering why he had taken so long, it was likely because of their earlier bond, as childhood friends who had realised their love for one another, and the imminent seperation following their reunion. Their attempts to keep in touch eventually faded as they began to continue down their lives, but it was apparent that she still haunted him until the fateful crossing in the final scenes.]
mmm.. I assume that's deep enough for you.
CaRDz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I assumed it would follow the regular archetype of "boy likes girl, girl likes boy; are separated, meets a few years later, reunites, and lives happily ever after;" to the contrary.

I found it brilliant when the foreshadowing devices kept suggesting that they would both find their ways back to each other's company. Only to find a horrible slap to the face when the credits started rolling.

What I liked and hated most about the movie was the simple fact that it was embedded with heavy emotions that remained unspoken. Sad, yet warm.
bin1127

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
I just had to rewatch 5 centimeter after having watched Garden of Words but I totally forgotten how sad the ending was for the Toono-kun.

You can't call it a complete sad ending since spoiler[Akari moved on and happily got married. But to seeing Toono sink deeper into depression as the years passed by was really tragic. I thought they said they would stay in touch but I guess that's just being polite aliken to "yeah, I'll call you another time." Maybe he's a bad kisser or maybe you can blame trains that can't plow snow, but Toono had it tough].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2