• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Axe-Slashing Incident Does Not Preempt Higurashi

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hui

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
video games don't kill people, anime does! Rolling Eyes
Koast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
To be honest I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time, that is surprised that it was aired and not surprised. Normally Japanese networks are very honest about when it comes to what they're doing with their programming.

And it Is odd that kids would take this action, but their parents must be doing something wrong to make them go insane, I mean that's probably the most likely explanation in my head, of course I just don't know Razz But yes, stop leaving axes around the house! I mean... Why? Razz It would make more sense if they had guns honestly, but axes..? I guess I don't know if these places are located in cities or not... but you gotta figure that is odd.. and the weapon that Rena "uses" most often looks more like a meat cleaver to me.. but then again I don't know that much about knives and stuff. Then again I suppose kids could just got out and buy them from a home hardware store or something..
Kenotic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:01 am Reply with quote
Desslar wrote:
So do the heroes of this series chop their parents' heads off?

actually....

spoiler[One of the female leads ends up killing her father's girlfriend who is using him for his money. Her friends then help hide the dismembered body - but this is in the first series.]
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote
Koast wrote:

And it Is odd that kids would take this action, but their parents must be doing something wrong to make them go insane, I mean that's probably the most likely explanation in my head, of course I just don't know Razz

We had a lovely little murder here about 10 yrs ago where a teen with problems in a group home was given a weekend pass from the program, took his sister shopping with him at Home Depot as he bought the axe he killed her with. He also killed his grandparents, but I can't recall if he killed them first, then took sis shopping, or if he killed them all at the same time. He was caught driving around Vista in the grandfather's car

So, no, mommy & daddy don't have to be doing anything wrong. We like to believe there is some reason, even warped, for these things to happen (look at all the children-yeah usually older like adult children-who slay their folks for money) We don't want there to be no reason because then the randomness suggests it could happen to us. On the other hand, teens are seen as emotional-unstable little hormones waiting to explode if not in violence at least in behavior adults aren't supposed to fathom.

The 2nd incident failing may be why they didn't pre-empt, but jeez someone needs to talk to their kids more. A lot of folks are busy living their lives working & all & have no idea what their kids are doing until stuff blows up & then they look to everything else as an influence because heaven forbid their parenting skills are lacking. It's just not ALWAYS the excuse. The kids in question may actually have needed to see a shrink or at least the school counselor to talk out some of their issues. I know one would think watching stiff like GTO, Battle Royale & others the family structure in Japan is messed up, but I've always assumed those re just plot devices (happy happy doesn't make for good drama)
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:40 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Stop leaving axes around the damn house people

the first girl bought the axe with the sole intention of killing her father with it.
mastertr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
That is insane ;/. If it was a copycat thing I am betting that the guy was planning on killing his father for a while now, and after he heard the news then got the idea of using the axe. I don't think he woke up one morning and saw the first news reports about the axe murder; and then decided all in the blue from there. Then again, it might not be a copycat at all; and he just may be insane like the other chick -_-.

Regardless...from all the crap I have heard about Higurashi; I don't see myself watching it anytime in the near future ;x. That's some disturbing shicrap.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
UltimateSpaceLion wrote:
wow, this almost sounds like a premise for a tv show or anime.

"Across Tokyo, there have been numerous incidents reported where children have been attacking their parents with axes while they slept. All these cases seem to have no connection, but when Detective Kyosuke Nomura digs a little deeper, he may discover a terrifying secret..."

it could work!

Somebody call Satoshi Kon! Very Happy
chicogrande

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
What's with these kids, seriously?

"No direct link has been announced between either case." Says the article.

I say, except for the media link. It's no surprise to me after the usual excessive coverage that most likely followed the first incident.
In Japan's visual culture, the more intense it probably was. You read about it on the net, your phone, your email. It inundates your senses as the story is repeated over and over again. And then, if you have an already festering little demon in the back of your head about disliking your parent for not letting you text message your friend last night. <Snap> Laughing
Koast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Koast wrote:

And it Is odd that kids would take this action, but their parents must be doing something wrong to make them go insane, I mean that's probably the most likely explanation in my head, of course I just don't know Razz

We had a lovely little murder here about 10 yrs ago where a teen with problems in a group home was given a weekend pass from the program, took his sister shopping with him at Home Depot as he bought the axe he killed her with. He also killed his grandparents, but I can't recall if he killed them first, then took sis shopping, or if he killed them all at the same time. He was caught driving around Vista in the grandfather's car

So, no, mommy & daddy don't have to be doing anything wrong. We like to believe there is some reason, even warped, for these things to happen (look at all the children-yeah usually older like adult children-who slay their folks for money) We don't want there to be no reason because then the randomness suggests it could happen to us. On the other hand, teens are seen as emotional-unstable little hormones waiting to explode if not in violence at least in behavior adults aren't supposed to fathom.

The 2nd incident failing may be why they didn't pre-empt, but jeez someone needs to talk to their kids more. A lot of folks are busy living their lives working & all & have no idea what their kids are doing until stuff blows up & then they look to everything else as an influence because heaven forbid their parenting skills are lacking. It's just not ALWAYS the excuse. The kids in question may actually have needed to see a shrink or at least the school counselor to talk out some of their issues. I know one would think watching stiff like GTO, Battle Royale & others the family structure in Japan is messed up, but I've always assumed those re just plot devices (happy happy doesn't make for good drama)

Hm, well I think GTO attempted to do more to help teens who were having family problems and give them a bit more hope anyway. But the trouble with teenagers and parents have aways been present in Japan it seems. In the past, about 10 years ago or so, I heard of rumors that a kid killed someone with a sword in japan and stuck their head on the front gate of the school. I'm not sure if that's true or not that's just what I heard. I believe the pressure's for teenagers are a bit too much for them to be "perfect", so maybe that's why they snap on their parents for unknown reasons. You are probably right they needed professional help, in fact anyone with those feelings should maybe seek it, (I just hope they get the very best help they possibly can, unfortunately it seems that's not always the case either).

I do agree though that the news probably does the "most damage" when it comes to these kinds of events. People are somewhat rattled but when they see them crying over about it on every station it gets to people, although this isn't the same as fictional shows which can be totally unrelated and violent, news shows take real people and put them in a context of a "dramatic" spotlight purely for ratings, that with others talking about maybe those who are outsiders at school, the odds of them teasing them about it are just as great as well probably encourage the "copy catting". It's probably a similar situation in Japan as well, so environment itself still plays a possible major role than media/fictional media.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2