• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singapore's Odex Subs Haruhi with Similar Text to Fansub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
shinsengumi wrote:
At the same time, however, I wonder if it could simply be coincidence. After all, if two people are asked to translate the same document from language X to language Y, it's quite possible that some portions of their translations are bound to be quite similar, if not exactly the same.

Oh no, that's hardly the case at all! Translation is never an exact science, not even for languages that are very similar (English and Japanese are not). Particularly translating into English-- there are often several different ways of saying the same thing, and none is worse than the other. At the same time, translators might tweak and adapt to reflect a character's personality in the translation, or reword things to make them more natural in the English language. This is why fansubs and legit releases usually DON'T read the same at all. I'm thinking Odex did a rip job.

Honestly though? Yes, it's EXTREMELY hypocritical and immoral for Odex to do this, but as a consumer (although not of their products), why do I care? If they're not paying a translator, that's one less cost for them. I'm not going to be so unrealistic as to say that that'll decrease the product price, but still. Personally, I kind of like the idea of ripping off the fansubbers, as bad as that is-- I'm not going to say that fansubs are usually completely accurate, but they do tend to lack bad 90s slang that some of the legit companies think is cool to use. *prepares for an explosive comeback*
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Translations are derivative works under U.S. copyright law, and U.S. law isn't that different from the rest of the world. See sec. 101 of the Copyright Act (the very first example in the definition of "derivative work" is a "translation").

Point taken.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I have a bit of a hard time buying this partly as a result of the fanboyish nature of some of A.F.K's fansub watchers. The fansub group has a bit of a cult following with the Kyoto Animation fanboys for always following their anime productions and I don't take Kyoani fanboys seriously either. I'll believe this story if I see some side by side picture evidence, otherwise I'll chalk it up to fanboys being fanboys.
dKiWi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
dKiWi wrote:

Okay, wow, I've never seen anything like that happen before. Nope, never ever. And your non-believer remark, so sick of hearing that tripe.
quartears

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Take that Odex. We know you're all crooks.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
burzmali wrote:
Umm, the fansubs are derivitive works and ownership of unauthorized derivitive works typically reverts to the owner of the original work. See "The Verve" for an example.

Exactly. Mabye Kadokawa and Odex thought they'd just show the bootleggers what it feels like to get ripped off? This is all pretty amusing. Perfectly fair in my eyes. though it's probably a coincidence.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
burzmali wrote:
Umm, the fansubs are derivitive works and ownership of unauthorized derivitive works typically reverts to the owner of the original work. See "The Verve" for an example.

Exactly. Mabye Kadokawa and Odex thought they'd just show the bootleggers what it feels like to get ripped off? This is all pretty amusing. Perfectly fair in my eyes. though it's probably a coincidence.

I have no problem with it, but I have no problem with fansubs either. It is "perfectly fair" but I agree with that because I'm anti-copyright anyway. So the fact it goes both ways is good.

Then again, if you take the reasoning this stuff is absolutely wrong you are essentially saying...
"If you steal my car it's bad. If I steal your car to get back at you, then it's ok". I don't know but in most people's book o' comments they use "two wrongs don't make a right" and other such things.

But since I don't agree with the whole concept in the first place, it's all gravy.
burzmali

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
A better analogy is:

A thief steals your wallet that has 10 $20 bills.
When to police catch the thief, he still has the wallet, but it only contains 5 $20 and a $10.
Since the $10 wasn't in the wallet when it was stolen, does the thief get it back, or do you get to keep it?
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
a.f.k. should sue Odex...

That would be a great case for the news...

Fansub group sues licensor for copyright infringement...

Be the best laugh ever...

Oops - I forgot the laws in Singapore - if they won the case a.f.k. would get life in prison, right?
ZaWarudo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Odex: Do as we say, not as we do.

Freaking disgusting. I hope they go out of business.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Having only bought commercial DVDs, I'm really tired of people getting better translations for free when some people are spending lots of cash for inferior subtitles. This is really bad for the DVD sales when companies to second rate subtitles, and I would love it if they would just use the fan script especially if it better than the some of the ones I have seen recently or dubtitles. Fan subtitlers should not complain since this is improving the quality for the better of anime, much like the argument for releasing fansubs in the first place.

Regardless, I really don't care what the fansub community does since I don't watch any downloaded anime. I do however want to see the best translation possible when I buy my DVDs and if the fan community can provide a better translation for Odex all the better. After all I don't think this hurts the fansub groups anywhere near as much as fansubs hurt the DVD industry.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
a.f.k. should sue Odex...

Except they can't. The copyright on the derivative work belongs to the owners of the original work.

In some countries copyright on derivative works may belong to the deriver if there is a certain degree of originality, but such is not the case with a translation which is considered non-creative.

In otherwords, a.f.k. doesn't own the translation, Nagaru Tanigawa, Noizi Ito, and "member of SOS" own it. Which is what the news article says.

Copyright aside though, this is still plagiarism and highly unethical IMHO.

However, if Odex actually asked a.f.k. for permission, this would be very good since a.f.k. is known as one of the rare fansub groups that really does a quality job, producing fansubs that are near, match, and even sometimes exceed the quality of professional translations. If this is the case, Odex's actions are a tribute to a.f.k. a nod to fansubs, and a benefit to consumers who want the best subtitles.

We'll have to wait for a statement from a.f.k. or Odex.

-t
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

After all I don't think this hurts the fansub groups anywhere near as much as fansubs hurt the DVD industry.

This statement and others like it really makes me want that survey that was posted (and I went through) to include this question:

"If you don't buy any anime, if downloadable anime were not available would you buy it?"

I seriously doubt the numbers of people who download and refuse to buy anything only because it's downloadable is over 10%. Most of these people would just pirate other things if they couldn't download. They aren't costing the industry a dime.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Quote:

After all I don't think this hurts the fansub groups anywhere near as much as fansubs hurt the DVD industry.

This statement and others like it really makes me want that survey that was posted (and I went through) to include this question:

"If you don't buy any anime, if downloadable anime were not available would you buy it?"

I seriously doubt the numbers of people who download and refuse to buy anything only because it's downloadable is over 10%. Most of these people would just pirate other things if they couldn't download. They aren't costing the industry a dime.

Even if this is true, a dime is still more than what using the fansub is costing the fansubers. I also don't really know how big the impact of fansubs are on DVDs, but even if it's 10% it is still a significant number. Either way I'm not very heavily opinionated on fansubs, but I think that it is a good thing for Odex to use a superior translation rather than their own scripts since it is not costing the fans a dime.

I noticed that one way to spot Odex's subs is that they sometimes use British spelling. Although not the best in translation I have found their scripts acceptable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5