• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Preview Screening

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Junkie wrote:
So so so, fellow Gundam fans... looks like there is great promise to this new boy.

Of course it's just the first episode and we have no idea whether the rest of the series will follow suit, but hah, the future of Gundam seems bright... Hi-Def bright....

Yah, the Hi Def part seems to interest me more than the storyline! I know I'd have to wait a long long long time before this becomes available here. I wonder if the DVDs will be in HD or Blu ray.

I have enjoyed all the Gundam titles I've watched except ZZ.

Last edited by ivorymoose on Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
KirbyHead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
KirbyHead wrote:
And, yeah, I kind of miss the "real robot" approach. I mean, magical psychic technopath powers are cool and all, but they felt just a little out of place in Seed. Just a little.

Not well-versed in Gundam, are you?

You can't sense the sarcasm? I don't blame you, the internet doesn't provide enough means to convey much inflection. Smile

It just seemed, I don't know... weird in Gundam Seed. I already said that I didn't really get into the series in the first place, so I suppose that's it. But I still miss the real robot/realistic tone sort of thing that went on with Gundam Wing. That's sort of what I was talking about.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
kyraensui wrote:
Umm... There was one or two Gundam series that are less than 30 episodes.. I'm too sure, I have to check on it.

OVAs. All Gundam TV series have been between 47 and 52 episodes, barring a premature cancellation (which led to Mobile Suit Gundam running for 43 episodes and After War Gundam X running for 39 episodes).

They've already confirmed that Gundam 00 will have a 50-something episode run, broken up into two 26 episode runs. Popular theory speculates that Gundam 00 will run for 26 episodes, the second season of Code Geass will fill its timeslot in the "off season," and then Gundam 00 will finish up, but that much has yet to be confirmed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
After watching the first episode, it hasn't hooked me yet like the previous Gundam series did for one big reason - no real character development yet - tons of characters, but they come off being flat to me. Maybe Episode 2 will be better....
Pitargo Nats

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
[quote="ivorymoose"]
Gundam Junkie wrote:
I wonder if the DVDs will be in HD or Blu ray.
I'd assume Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray discs have outsold HD discs to date, plus there are more Blu-Ray players on the market since it is included in the PS3. But if you take the PS3s out of the mix HD players have outsold BR. What I won't give for the format war to be over.

On that note, Bleach is about to come on here, so its time to watch and call it a night. Assuming I don't watch more SEED afterwards.
Panon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
They've already confirmed that Gundam 00 will have a 50-something episode run, broken up into two 26 episode runs. Popular theory speculates that Gundam 00 will run for 26 episodes, the second season of Code Geass will fill its timeslot in the "off season,"

That would be a disaster scenario.

Code Geass was as good as it was and exists as it does now directly because it didn't end up in that timeslot like it was originally intended to.

The time for the breaks make sense but I really hope they don't shoehorn Geass into that timeslot and just leave it where it belongs.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
I hope this gets released on one of the HD disc formats over here. Otherwise, I'm not buying. Confused
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Saphiro01 wrote:
Strike One: ABSURDLY unrealisticly fanservicy Bishounens. So far the only way to tell a character is female in this show is if it has boobs! (And anyone who's seen Yu Yu Hakusho knows even that in anime isn't 100% Anime hyper). Is my viewpoint immature? No I'm just an oldschool Gundam fan. Am I going to have fangirls scratching out my eyes? THIS IS GUNDAM people! War drama! NOT GIRLY ANIME! Watch the original movies at least, and for the love of all things well rounded anime don't stop at AU only like Wing.

You know, what surprises me that some Gundam fans fail to realize that there ALWAYS has been bishounen in Gundam and they tend to the more of the most popular Gundam characters. Hell, even ORIGNAL Gundam what could been described as bishounen back then such as Amuro, Garma and ESPECIALLY Char. And so what they are bishounen, at least they look maniler than most of the chracters of SEED.

There's nothing wrong with it as they tell a good story. And it's not a girly anime either because of that. Get over yourself.

Quote:

All I can say is it's a good thing Toru Furuya is only narrating. I couldn't handle him getting the pretty boy treatment too (Yes I'm aware of Yamucha and Mamoru Chiba aka Tuxedo Mask. Yamucha wasn't girly, he just wore his hair long).

If you don't consider Amuro a bishounen, which he is.

Quote:

Strike Two happens the first inkling I get of a Shounen Ai relationship. I am reserving strike 3 for an unknown mess up in the future of unbelievable proportions (hopefully that wont happen).

Rolling Eyes As a BL fangirl, I didn't detect ANYTHING of the sort. I think you overreacted that a well known shoujo artist did the character designs and who is known for Loveless and Earthian, despite she did ONLY the designs. Like some people overreacted over Code Geass because of CLAMP.

And I'm sick of "I can't tell if they're guys or girls!" BAWing because it doesn't take two brain cells to figure out. Sheesh, at least these designs are more obvious than SEED.

That said, I think the first episode was okay. It did want it supposed to do: Set up the setting, brief intro of the characters and starting the pace of the story. Already it looks it will be better than SEED IMO.
[/quote]
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Rolling Eyes As a BL fangirl, I didn't detect ANYTHING of the sort. I think you overreacted that a well known shoujo artist did the character designs and who is known for Loveless and Earthian, despite she did ONLY the designs. Like some people overreacted over Code Geass because of CLAMP.

And I'm sick of "I can't tell if they're guys or girls!" BAWing because it doesn't take two brain cells to figure out. Sheesh, at least these designs are more obvious than SEED.

That said, I think the first episode was okay. It did want it supposed to do: Set up the setting, brief intro of the characters and starting the pace of the story. Already it looks it will be better than SEED IMO.

So Code Geass didn't have any of CLAMP's signature shounen-ai elements?
KirbyHead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
VEGANDARAE wrote:
Quote:

Besides pretty guys? Not that I can remember (unless this is a trick question). I'm certain that fangirls chose to misinterpret Lelouch and Suzaku's friendship, but that's their own fault. Or gain, I guess.

And thank God CLAMP didn't have a hand in Code Geass. We'd have not only those signature CLAMP BL moments, but a convoluted storyline as well. Not that I hate CLAMP, but they've sort of been sucking it up with their latest creations. Sad

Uh... getting back to the main point, I hope Code Geass doesn't get the short end of the stick in this deal with Gundam 00. Is this a bad timeslot?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
KirbyHead wrote:
Is this a bad timeslot?

It's the same timeslot that both Gundam SEEDs, Fullmetal Alchemist, Blood+, and Ayakashi Ayashi all ran in. It's pretty much one of the big weekend timeslots for 50-episode young males' anime series.

VEGANDARAE wrote:

No, it didn't. The only thing that came remotely close to shounen-ai in Code Geass was the Lancelot's lead technician alluding to being gay as the scriptwriters' means of showing that his arranged marriage to Milly was not at all romantic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:

I think a lot of it was fans wanting a female lead after so long, and really got their hopes up when the first images of the characters was revealed and everyone thought Tieria Erde was a woman. Fortunately the "copy and paste" character designs of SEED are gone. Still, these discussions really makes me remember the good ole' days when men were men, and fifteen year old girls looked like twenty-something supermodels. *sigh* Wing anyone? lol

As for how the characters act, the first episode is WAY too soon to judge something like that. I'm just hoping for lots of character development for the pilots, well thought out and presented motives for all sides of the conflict (as opposed to "lol I'm evil so I'm gonna try and end world now, k?"), not having the (albeit practically trademark) villain 'ace' pilot that gets his/her ass handed to them by someone who has been operating a suit for a week and a half, have the grunt units actually able to damage the main characters (as opposed to the killing spree that was Wing and SEED), and I hope the female captain actually has brains and is a character rather than a pair of talking g-cups.

But that's just me.
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
@ ArielTsuki

A humble apology for my personal opinions and attempt at humor if they were offensive to you Dear Lady. My original post was intended as a laughable attempt at a rant. (Humor and no ill will intended ladies, thus the scratching eyes out comment. I am a relative feminist by male standards in actuality and believe in to each their own in Anime genres quite frankly).

I do have some minor logical points to your post however:

ArielTsuki wrote:

You know, what surprises me that some Gundam fans fail to realize that there ALWAYS has been bishounen in Gundam and they tend to [Sic] the more of the most popular Gundam characters. Hell, even [Sic] ORIGNAL Gundam what could been described as bishounen back then such as Amuro, Garma and ESPECIALLY Char. And so what they are bishounen, at least they look [Sic] maniler than most of the chracters of SEED.

There is a spelling checker built into the forum post utility now. If your going to make a valid retort, please at least check your spelling.

Secondly, The term 'Bishounen' from Bijin Shounen I believe is quite common in Japanese language and thus was around long before Gundam came along in 1979. My beef (only at times and when in excess I might add) is when every single character save ... three (I counted) are overly Pretty Boys to the point where it makes no plot driven logical sense (Thus Fan service).

Amuro Is not a Bishounen. Rather he was an exuberant youth even at 14. Captain Bright was more attractively drawn then Amuro I believe. I will concede that Casval Zion Dykun aka Char Aznable was an attractively drawn character and borders on the modern definition of a 'Bishy', however this was because he was meant to personify an obscure Arian (*gasp* he went there!) stereo type. That is blond hair, blue eyes, attractive, and a charismatic leader to boot. This is Plot driven and makes sense completely.

Garma was ... Okay Maybe he was ONE Bishounen in the entire original show. But even that plotwise made sense as he was the baby brother of the Zabis, was also based on the same stereotype as Char was (they were brought up with relatively similar values) and he was completely narcissistic. Good character trait. He was a believable spoiled royal brat (you even may have felt bad when Char spoiler[ betrayed Him to his death at the hands of the White Base due to Char's father's betrayal and murder ].

ArielTsuki wrote:

There's nothing wrong with it as they tell a good story. And it's not a girly anime either because of that. Get over yourself.

I agree totally. I said that strike three would wait for a major screw up didn't I? Sheesh no pleasing some people Anime smile. That last part hurts. I'm not self absorbed. Just honest with my opinions (I didn't say respectful, I said honest).

Quote:

If you don't consider Amuro a bishounen, which he is.

See above and remember, nothing I say will ever change your opinion. Mine stinks just as much, but I know what I like! Who wants ice cream?

Quote:
Me:
Strike Two happens the first inkling I get of a Shounen Ai relationship. I am reserving strike 3 for an unknown mess up in the future of unbelievable proportions (hopefully that wont happen).

Quote:
You:

I absolutely adore CLAMP. I also think Kazunori Iwakura is quite talented because Loveless' designs are fantastically done (I almost find the character Loveless cute... *cough* Did I say that? Shocked). Thanks for assuming I don't like those designs ^_~. I was making a point of overkill rather than critiquing the actual style overall.

Quote:

Fair enough. Belly aching can be done in a more constructive manner. Such as I have been watching anime for almost 20 years now and I'm still having trouble telling if guys are guys sometimes. This kind of thing seems out of place in Gundam in my humble opinion. One androgynous character? Okay. That can be cosmetically interesting and serve the plot. Wing had some multiples but at least you could tell they were male pretty obviously with the sound off. 40 some Bishounens in places where they make no sense? That's going to jar me out of a critical dramatic moment and I hate that prospect in a Gundam series (Personal opinion again).

Quote:

I am waiting with a very patient and loving hope that some major scars happen on some faces. Quickly. (Was that a joke? Maybe so.)
I liked the episode as well. It has some great potential. Is the SEED only generation of Gundam watchers still rather irksome to me? Absolutely. (Hey if Zac can be cranky and cantankerous so can I) I watched Seed and Destiny. Why haven't you watched Zeta or 08th MS Team? A Gundam fan is a fanatic of all things Gundam. I can call myself a fan. Test me please. I've earned my stripes so to speak. And I'm still working on Victory and Turn A.

If you have read this post in it's entirety I thank you for reading. Rage, belly laugh or retort? Please do. Life is too short to be arguing on a Webforum without having fun doing so.
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
SarcasticPirate wrote:

...and I hope the female captain actually has brains and is a character rather than a pair of talking g-cups.

But that's just me.

LOL @ SarcasticPirate. That made my day. I needed that my friend.
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Saphiro01 wrote:
SarcasticPirate wrote:

...and I hope the female captain actually has brains and is a character rather than a pair of talking g-cups.

But that's just me.

LOL @ SarcasticPirate. That made my day. I needed that my friend.

lol Well it's good to know I made someone's day. Anime smile

You know you were all thinking it too! Laughing (Come to think of it, that kind of thing was just about the only reason most people kept watching Destiny...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3