• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ben-to (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I watched this show high and didn't laugh.

There's your problem. Stop killing your braincells and you might be able to tell a joke when you see one. Example, the slow motion reaction of the MC's face in the last fight of the first episode was a bit comedy inserted into the fight scene. In other words a JOKE.

Me saying the series is a comedy does not mean all the violence or everything about the show is a joke or meant to be funny. Gintama is a comedy but many of the fight scenes are not funny.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
@ArsenicSteel:

I'm pompous? I'm delusional? Oh come on, you can do better than that. Such weak-spirited words; where's the vitriol? I am so unoffended I can't even be bothered reporting your post.

Look, obviously you don't seem to realise that violence can be funny or serious, and that by extension, I was heavily implying the violence in Ben-to was played too seriously to be funny. Nor do you appear to have ever heard of an unfunny Comedy, something which I am actually envious of you for. Oh, and I did state that I - as in the pronoun, I personally - did not find it funny, which is why I said that it "failed for me".

If you are still confused by all of this, tell me and I'd be happy to enlighten you. Just do it by Private Message, as I don't want to take up even more space in the discussion thread of an ongoing show I've already dropped. Fair enough?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
You know I did not find the first episode that comedy centered either, I am trying to search my memory for a part where I laughed, but can not find anything fifinitive. I can see how it has parody areas like food being serious, parents uncaring, a bizare girl who actually enjoyed his downsides of being a lead, and getting beat up for no reason. But id did not even feel like it was exceptional slapstick.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Now that the pretty good first episode is out, word will spread, you will all feel silly for overlooking it, and will come here every week to discuss it.

Actually, what I feel silly about is letting that statement fuel my curiosity and hunted down somewhere that was streaming it. Confused

DuskyPredator wrote:
You know I did not find the first episode that comedy centered either, I am trying to search my memory for a part where I laughed, but can not find anything definitive.

That's almost exactly how I felt. The fighting never seemed comedic to me, I was confused as to whether or not I should be laughing, cringing, or going "sweet!" I think the only thing that got a chuckle out of me was a line that the "Ice Witch" said; something like "you don't separate your trash? What, are you American?" But the rest of the episode was just me wearing a blank expression, periodically checking the time to see how much time was left.

And yes, the whole bit with that girl continuously slapping the lead for no semi-decent reason whatsoever was just dumb, tiresome, and made me sigh.

I might give it another episode or two, but likely won't since no one is streaming it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Now we have Wolves, Dogs, Boars, and Storms. Yup, I love this show. I also think dtm42's concern about innocent bystanders got squashed since everyone seems to be in on the fights. Since he brought up Fumoffu, the fights are akin to the episode where everyone is pushing and gnawing at each other for bread (and Souske brings out his gun...) - everyone is fighting everyone for that precious bread. Ben-to is like that, but it happens at a grocery store and the fights are more intricate. The employees, sports teams, students, customers, everyone knows what happens when the bento get discounted, so their are no "innocent bystanders".

Now, why Satou was the only person not aware of this Bento Brawl is the real question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 was a step up for me. Like some other peeps, I just didn't find the first eppie particularly funny or compelling, but it was decent enough that I was prepared to watch the second. Now I feel relatively confident I'll stick with it. My fave character is Violent Yuri Girl. spoiler["May I kick you?" ] Laughing I also loved how she spoiler[came up behind Oshiroi, cold-cocked her, and then quickly ran off with her unconscious body.] Double Laughing
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
I'm with Blood. Second episode was a decent sized step up. Even Ume's cruel actions actually got a few chuckles out of me this time around.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this show! I mean first episode was pretty good overall with incredibly exciting rumble at the end of it and, well, there is Shiraume Ume.

Second episode simply blew me away. Seriously, I have now watched both episodes twice and I only admire it more and more. Its about the little thing that really need to be noticed, which I appreciate greatly. I love the music in Ben-to. Notice how every scene has a track of different style that greatly elevates every scene, like African tribal music whenever Shiraume beats up our poor protagonist, or the "fish is good for you" song just before the epic battle in ep 1 and then the swift shift to gentle saxophone when the Ice Witch elegantly enters the scene. Not to mention the supermarket music and other general scores. They all vary wildly yet fit perfectly. My other favourite is Sato's point of view angles. He always fixes his sight on either tights and if not, he would zoom in or slowly drift the focus of his vision to the breasts. A true man indeed. Brunette seems to be a running joke too, as we can never see her face but always see her enormous chest. In the episode 2 there are scenes I particularly love. Like how Yarizui (Ice Witch) strangled everyone to, I assume, fake their signatures, or the sweet scene of Oshiroi and Sato sharing an instant noodle cup, and, of course, Shiraume Ume. I love how she voices her intentions in the form of question with monotonous voice, and this episode's "Shiraume Ume bye bye" was absolutely priceless. And for my final comment, did anyone else notice what kind of ringtone Sato has? The sound of dial-up... isn't that simply brilliant.

If the staff of Ben-to can keep this level of entertainment then this is going to be one of those 'legendary' comedies like School Rumble, Lucky Star, Genshiken, Skip Beat, first season of Minami-ke, Potemayo and others which are all unique, great comedies among other things. And with more characters yet to come I don't think its too much of a gamble to let my hopes run wild for a bit. This could be the comedy of the year.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
I love the music in Ben-to. Notice how every scene has a track of different style that greatly elevates every scene, like African tribal music whenever Shiraume beats up our poor protagonist, or the "fish is good for you" song just before the epic battle in ep 1 and then the swift shift to gentle saxophone when the Ice Witch elegantly enters the scene. Not to mention the supermarket music and other general scores. They all vary wildly yet fit perfectly.

That would be due to Taku Iwasaki doing the music. He was responsible for the music in Gurren Lagann, Read or Die, Rurouni Kenshin OVAs, and Katanagatari, amongst others.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Look, obviously you don't seem to realise that violence can be funny or serious, and that by extension, I was heavily implying the violence in Ben-to was played too seriously to be funny. Nor do you appear to have ever heard of an unfunny Comedy, something which I am actually envious of you for. Oh, and I did state that I - as in the pronoun, I personally - did not find it funny, which is why I said that it "failed for me".

That's not what said nor how you said in your first post. Looks like Twinkletoes is wearing his dancing shoes now and is spinning in circles.
I just popped in because I saw episode 2 and thought it was funny. So now I am popping out.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Well episode 2 was loads of fun. Add me to the growing list of people who enjoyed Shiraume in episode 2 after being a bit cold on her in the first episode. My favorite moment was the immediate spoiler[phone call Satou gets after responding to Oshiroi's text, where Shiraume threatened to break all his fingers. Add to that, the Ice Witch getting a similar phone call she described as "hinting at my impending murder". Laughing ]

Satou is a such a guy, it's wonderful. "Brunette" with the camera focused on her breasts. And then all the moments of Satou talking to a girl and we can see the scene through his eyes as they slowly drift downward to the boobs.

I also found the boar to be highly entertaining.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was ok. It left me curious enough to check out the second episode and give it a chance. The second ep was a definite step up and had me grinning. Its like someone else said its Fight Club but over 1/2 price bentos. I can dig that. I even found the wandering eyes funny that's definitely a guy thing. Its got some smart parts and that kinda surprised me. I wonder if they can keep it up, which means they got my interest and I'm ready to check out more.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote
The joke where Satou's eyes slowly go towards their breasts is just fantastic, probably because it's so real. I'll admit, I do that from time; more so with butts. I also love it because he's not accidentally groping them, falling on them, or getting nosebleeds, he's getting bored and staring at the boobs of pretty girls. A completely normal reaction in my book, and I love it for that.

And I also like Ume and her crazy ways. Like One-eye, I was cold on her at first because we didn't know why she was hitting Satou, but now that we know a little more about her it's hilarious. The way she's so calm and cold when she asks to hit Satou is great.

OF ALL THE SHOWS GETTING SUBS ON THEIR BLU-RAYS, WHY ISN'T BEN-TO ONE OF THEM!?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
I too also enjoyed the second episode, I don't take it too seriously, and is pretty fun to watch. The fights are over the top, but well done, it hapends to come off as funny without having to rely on tiring gags, and just adding nicknames and battlen examples adds to it all. I even found Ume's abuse humourus now that we can see that she is a spoiler[jealous yuri friend], loved the bit that she ran in and captured the girl.

Took me longer than it should have to realise the wandering glance to places, and that we mostly saw one bit of 'Brunette'. Oshiroi is still my favorite character, I hope that she really becomes an official couple with him rather than having to revert to a harem, not counting Ume of course.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8208/bentoguidetodating.jpg

I don't know who the creator is, but I found it thanks to Momoka Kibi on the Fandom Post boards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10