• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: Next Season's Promo Video Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Creibold

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
Yes! Thank you! I've been waiting for the alternative ending for awhile. I'm actually one of the people who really liked the first season.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

No way, spoiler[she deliberately slept with whatshisname to commit romantic suicide. She wanted to break up with Takayuki, but couldn't manage it, so she slept with that guy so she could say "I can't be with Takayuki anymore; I slept with another guy". Didn't she tell Takayuki she had slept with him before giving back her ring and walking out? I can't quite remember, actually.]

heh, maybe you're right and I'm just recalling wrongly. Though, I coulda sworn she was drunk or something at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:10 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Kenji_Ikari wrote:
spoiler[Takayuki's friend, on the other hand, had always liked her... and then pretty much took her without her consent.]

No way, spoiler[she deliberately slept with whatshisname to commit romantic suicide. She wanted to break up with Takayuki, but couldn't manage it, so she slept with that guy so she could say "I can't be with Takayuki anymore; I slept with another guy". Didn't she tell Takayuki she had slept with him before giving back her ring and walking out? I can't quite remember, actually.]

I thought Akane Maniax was garbage, btw. After the merciless realism of (certain aspects of) KGNE, it has to come along and indulge in the absurd "bull-headed persistence will get you chicks" fantasy. Really annoyed me.

spoiler[Just because Mitsuki got wasted and was equally, and summarily, taken advantage of via Shinji did not exactly point to her just seducing men. With her history of becoming to fall in love with Takayuki because of the promise she made to Haruka, add in the desire for her to not see the person she loved in so much pain, and then top it off with him spiraling back towards that pain was ultimately so far beyond what she could take. So yes, she went out, got drunk, found Shinji (whom had loved Mitsuki way back in the day, and to a degree he still does) and felt a need to test her resolve in the matter. She felt as if she was finished with Takayuki due to his lingering guilt over Haruka and Mitsuki felt she had no escape of the pain it was causing, so she found the closest thing she could in someone whom she knows had feelings for her.

This is just one of the many things the anime doesn't portray well when compared to the game...much like the time differential between how long Haruka had been in a coma to when Mitsuki finally threw herself at Takayuki]

As for Akane Maniax...the point was, like KimiNozo, to follow the game while only being somewhat tied to the original storyline, which is what MuvLuv did. Gouda's introduction, as well as the entirety of the game being a bridge-gap between KimiNozo and MuvLuv, was the mood change from KimiNozo's solemn and serious mood to MuvLuv's slightly comical and dark mood.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:14 am Reply with quote
I love this series since it does seem to be able to rally fans to both sides. I still stand 100% with Mitsuki spoiler[especially when we see the events that occur after the coma with him wasting away and living like a roach. She really pulled through for him cooking for him and making sure he would get by even though he was an unemployed bum. Throughout the series Mitsuki does so much for Takayuki who seems obsessed with Haruka. I found it heartbreaking to see her grasp for him as he was slipping away despite all that she did for him. It's not until after she is all but given up on happiness and her spirit is crushed at the end of DVD 2 that she decides to sleep with Takayuki's friend.] Haruka on the other hand briefly dated Takayuki and didn't have time to develop the deep relationship like the one he has with Mitsuki.

Mitsuki reminds me of Honoka from Suzuka and I will always side with these dedicated characters who take care of the main characters,
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
With this and Akane Maniax, there's still hope for the long-rumoured Muv-Luv series to finally get off the ground.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
Kenji_Ikari wrote:
heh, maybe you're right and I'm just recalling wrongly. Though, I coulda sworn she was drunk or something at the time.

Dutch Courage! In Vino Veritas!

DarkCntry wrote:
spoiler[Just because Mitsuki got wasted and was equally, and summarily, taken advantage of via Shinji did not exactly point to her just seducing men. With her history of becoming to fall in love with Takayuki because of the promise she made to Haruka, add in the desire for her to not see the person she loved in so much pain, and then top it off with him spiraling back towards that pain was ultimately so far beyond what she could take. So yes, she went out, got drunk, found Shinji (whom had loved Mitsuki way back in the day, and to a degree he still does) and felt a need to test her resolve in the matter. She felt as if she was finished with Takayuki due to his lingering guilt over Haruka and Mitsuki felt she had no escape of the pain it was causing, so she found the closest thing she could in someone whom she knows had feelings for her.]

spoiler[I haven't played the game; are you saying she was trying to actually trying to hook up with Shinji as the "next best thing" to Takayuki, whom she'd given up on? If that's the case, this may be a case of the game and anime deliberately taking a different direction rather than the anime just failing to portray things properly. In the anime, it seems pretty clear that Mistuki doesn't really give a shit about Shinji. After they sleep together, she sits on the floor playing with her broken shoe, so Shinji goes out and buys her a new pair of shoes, but when he tries to give them to her, she gives him this look. I still remember it, such an effectivly emotive expression so rarely seen in anime. It communicated something like "what the hell do you want?", and she would have nothing to do with his gift. This is why it was my impression that she was using him to self-destruct her relantionship with Takayuki.]

DarkCntry wrote:
As for Akane Maniax...the point was, like KimiNozo, to follow the game while only being somewhat tied to the original storyline, which is what MuvLuv did. Gouda's introduction, as well as the entirety of the game being a bridge-gap between KimiNozo and MuvLuv, was the mood change from KimiNozo's solemn and serious mood to MuvLuv's slightly comical and dark mood.

Fair enough, but my problem wasn't that it was a romantic comedy rather than a romantic drama(parts of it were quite funny), it was that it was a stupid romantic comedy.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
From the looks of the trailer, this doesn't look like it occurs after the original series, especially given the spoiler["Several years later... spring" epilogue] , so is it an alternate history? Is the idea that spoiler[Haruka's accident never happens] or that spoiler[Takayuki ends up with Haruka after her recovery]?
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Kenji_Ikari wrote:

Dutch Courage! In Vino Veritas!

DarkCntry wrote:
spoiler[Just because Mitsuki got wasted and was equally, and summarily, taken advantage of via Shinji did not exactly point to her just seducing men. With her history of becoming to fall in love with Takayuki because of the promise she made to Haruka, add in the desire for her to not see the person she loved in so much pain, and then top it off with him spiraling back towards that pain was ultimately so far beyond what she could take. So yes, she went out, got drunk, found Shinji (whom had loved Mitsuki way back in the day, and to a degree he still does) and felt a need to test her resolve in the matter. She felt as if she was finished with Takayuki due to his lingering guilt over Haruka and Mitsuki felt she had no escape of the pain it was causing, so she found the closest thing she could in someone whom she knows had feelings for her.]

spoiler[I haven't played the game; are you saying she was trying to actually trying to hook up with Shinji as the "next best thing" to Takayuki, whom she'd given up on? If that's the case, this may be a case of the game and anime deliberately taking a different direction rather than the anime just failing to portray things properly. In the anime, it seems pretty clear that Mistuki doesn't really give a shit about Shinji. After they sleep together, she sits on the floor playing with her broken shoe, so Shinji goes out and buys her a new pair of shoes, but when he tries to give them to her, she gives him this look. I still remember it, such an effectivly emotive expression so rarely seen in anime. It communicated something like "what the hell do you want?", and she would have nothing to do with his gift. This is why it was my impression that she was using him to self-destruct her relantionship with Takayuki.]

DarkCntry wrote:

Fair enough, but my problem wasn't that it was a romantic comedy rather than a romantic drama(parts of it were quite funny), it was that it was a stupid romantic comedy.

spoiler[The thing about the anime is that it draws from almost every available path in the game and then condenses it down to 14 episodes, something that will drastically change the underlying feel of the story. It's not so much that Mitsuki had no feelings for Shinji, or that she felt as if he fully took advantage of her, but more to the "you knew this about me, why did you let me go ahead and do it" kinda thing. It's basically the same feeling most Haruka fans have towards Mitsuki after they see the show.

If you do have the ability to play the game, I highly suggest it, as it details the story much more intently than the anime did and allows you to fully understand the plight that all of the characters face...even that of Ayu and Mayu, which were relegated to nothing more than comic relief in the anime, while in the game they had a fairly telling story about their motives. Come to think about it, I wonder what the Haruka fans would think of a specific ending in the game where it shows Haruka being very, well, not Haruka. Razz]

As for the OVA, if my perception is right, it's going to take the Special Fan Disc route of "the accident happened, but Takayuki stuck to his promise to Haruka", as opposed to probably anything else.

The problem, it would appear, that people have with Akane Maniax is how they perceive it should've been...the problem with that is that Akane Maniax is based solely on the Akane Maniax game, which was given as a fanservice and bridge-gap between KimiNozo and MuvLuv's two games. The bulk of it just being a parody of the hot-blooded people, or in this case otaku, whom all swoon over Akane. What most people expected was a bit more of a continuation of KimiNozo but were greeted with something that only gave passing glances.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
DarkCntry wrote:
spoiler[If you do have the ability to play the game, I highly suggest it, as it details the story much more intently than the anime did and allows you to fully understand the plight that all of the characters face...]

spoiler[Sorry, can't speak moon. Razz

I'm kinda interested in Ayu's story, though. Despite the fact that she was almost entirely comic relief, I could tell that there was more to her. Plus, I like fangs.

But how does that affect the story that Takayuki seems to be running around banging anything that moves? Especially given the turn the story takes with Mistuki and Shinji? I'd think it'd annihilate his likeability…which was never terribly strong.]
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
DarkCntry wrote:
spoiler[If you do have the ability to play the game, I highly suggest it, as it details the story much more intently than the anime did and allows you to fully understand the plight that all of the characters face...]

spoiler[Sorry, can't speak moon. Razz

I'm kinda interested in Ayu's story, though. Despite the fact that she was almost entirely comic relief, I could tell that there was more to her. Plus, I like fangs.

But how does that affect the story that Takayuki seems to be running around banging anything that moves? Especially given the turn the story takes with Mistuki and Shinji? I'd think it'd annihilate his likeability…which was never terribly strong.]

spoiler[Such is life for Japanese-only released titles Razz

Ayu's story isn't expanded on to great detail like Mitsuki's, Haruka's, or Akane's, but it does go into detail at how Takayuki obtains a specific book to give to Haruka after she wakes up and into a bit more detail as to why a spoiled rich girl is working at a family restaurant and why Mayu is somewhat a voice of reason to her.

As for how all this affects the story...Takayuki's role was simple, start off with a confused guy about his feelings, toss in a huge accident, give him PTSD and more confusion about his feelings, and then top it off with regression. While not the most decisive of characters, Takayuki has a certain flair about him that brings him to a more realistic personality. There were plenty of times that even though I understood him and his motives that I still wanted to backhand him a few times just because he refused to make up his mind and was not only in jeopardy of messing up with Haruka but to screw over Mitsuki. It's really a matter of stepping back and taking your own emotions over the situation and then viewing things as if you were specifically in that spot.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
jpdsurf wrote:
Does anybody know how many episodes the OVA will be?

From what I hear, some sources are saying three, others are saying four. How official any of them are, I don't know.
jpdsurf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
jpdsurf wrote:
Does anybody know how many episodes the OVA will be?

From what I hear, some sources are saying three, others are saying four. How official any of them are, I don't know.

Thank You!

Mitsuki Rocks!
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
DarkCntry wrote:
spoiler[As for how all this affects the story...Takayuki's role was simple, start off with a confused guy about his feelings, toss in a huge accident, give him PTSD and more confusion about his feelings, and then top it off with regression. While not the most decisive of characters, Takayuki has a certain flair about him that brings him to a more realistic personality. There were plenty of times that even though I understood him and his motives that I still wanted to backhand him a few times just because he refused to make up his mind and was not only in jeopardy of messing up with Haruka but to screw over Mitsuki. It's really a matter of stepping back and taking your own emotions over the situation and then viewing things as if you were specifically in that spot.]

spoiler[I can understand the problems the love triangle presents and forgive him to a degree for his indecision and pandering with regards to that, but running around and banging waitresses and nurses? Then Mistuki goes and bangs Shinji, and it's a big development in the story? Where's the logic?]
jpdsurf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
DarkCntry wrote:
spoiler[As for how all this affects the story...Takayuki's role was simple, start off with a confused guy about his feelings, toss in a huge accident, give him PTSD and more confusion about his feelings, and then top it off with regression. While not the most decisive of characters, Takayuki has a certain flair about him that brings him to a more realistic personality. There were plenty of times that even though I understood him and his motives that I still wanted to backhand him a few times just because he refused to make up his mind and was not only in jeopardy of messing up with Haruka but to screw over Mitsuki. It's really a matter of stepping back and taking your own emotions over the situation and then viewing things as if you were specifically in that spot.]

spoiler[I can understand the problems the love triangle presents and forgive him to a degree for his indecision and pandering with regards to that, but running around and banging waitresses and nurses? Then Mistuki goes and bangs Shinji, and it's a big development in the story? Where's the logic?]

Love is rarely logical and spoiler[Girls have been known to do things like that when they feel that there is no way out]
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the anger. Personally, I liked the ending, because you could kind of infer, if you wished, that he didn't end up with anyone. spoiler[While he chose her, the last few scenes don't explicitly show them together--for me I took that to mean they realized their little high school romance was just that, a high school romance, and were able to move on and actually find real love, not just adolescent pining.] Granted, I'm probably wrong, but I enjoy a little interpretation.

I wouldn't mind seen this new series eventually. I didn't think Rumbling Hearts was all that great, but it certainly wasn't awful, and was a relatively realistic angsty romance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3