• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spice and Wolf (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I was really looking forward to this series and wasn't disappointed in the slightest. I agree with selenta and others who enjoyed this first episode. To be completely honest I think the thing I like the most about it is that IS different from what I thought it would be. People here are saying that this voice should have been done differently and this character should have a different voice and this and that should have been done this way, but really I'm glad they did the unexpected, it feels more thoughtful, like they wanted the series to be known for doing things its own way, not the expected way.

And sure, the animation is pretty average, but you know, average is pretty good. We've been getting spoiled badly lately by high frame rates and flashy animation, but this series looks like it'll move at a pretty casual pace, I think the animation fits that just fine.

I agree with those that say that nudity doesn't always equal fanservice. If they were looking for fanservice they could have done a number of things like move Horo's tail out of the way or give her descript body features (not to mention make certain things "bigger"), but they really were just using nudity to emphasise natural tendencies. They didn't even dwell on it, Lawrence for the most part seemed to act like she was fully clothed all the time, he didn't even consider her wearing clothes until she brought it up at the end.

I don't know exactly what direction they're going with this, but it seems to be a old vs. new and maybe a bit of man vs. nature though that doesn't seem to be a current concern, we'll see how things go when she gets away from the village. I'm sure the concept of pagan gods vs. one God will be a common theme.

My only worry is that the wide spread use of nudity, however nondescript, might prevent it from getting a proper domestic release. Hopefully it doesn't, this is one series that I really want to see in English (in this case preferably "Queen's English" and not "American English").

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I was very pleased with the first episode, Spice and Wolf looks promising. The OP is pleasant to the ears and the ED is very cute (I haven't heard much of Rocky Chack, but I like their style) The animation is average, I agree, but it looks very pretty in spots. I really like the music as well, it has that nice European sound. I like the whole European/Renaissance/mythical feel to the show...makes me think of Scrapped Princess a little bit. I find Horo to be pretty quirky and charming. I'm neutral on Lawrence, I don't find any problems with his voice or anything, but he's not particularly a standout right now. The story interests me very much, it's pretty refreshing to have a more of a original story these days. And the fanservice is pretty tastefully done, I wasn't bothered by it as I didn't feel it was overbearing.
Anyway, promising start.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I think the chemistry between Horo & Lawrence is what's going to make or break the series. So far the show seems promising, although the first 5 minutes were kind of dull.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
People here are saying that this voice should have been done differently and this character should have a different voice and this and that should have been done this way, but really I'm glad they did the unexpected, it feels more thoughtful, like they wanted the series to be known for doing things its own way, not the expected way.

Uh, the expected way is for the characters to be cast with generic anime-style voices -- like what usually happens. And it did. The unexpected way would be to give them voices that actually fit the characters.

Though again, that's hardly a make or break element here.

Quote:
My only worry is that the wide spread use of nudity, however nondescript, might prevent it from getting a proper domestic release. Hopefully it doesn't, this is one series that I really want to see in English (in this case preferably "Queen's English" and not "American English").

There's been more examples of nudity -- and exploitive at that -- in anime that has been licensed. I don't think it would be too much of a negative in a decision in bringing this series over.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
Just saw the first episode last night! I'm so glad that I decided to watch it - I was gonna ignore it cause I thought it was gonna be about animals, even moreso when I saw screenshots of a naked girl with fox ears.

The nudity didn't bother me at all. It didn't seem like ecchi or fanservice, so I wasn't offended or anything like that. Plus, Horo's an awesome character. She's got spunk, and I like her.

As for Lawrence, I don't have any opinion of him yet. I just don't want him to end up with Horo, cause she's too cool for him Laughing

And I like the ED. What a cute Engrish song Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Time and Space

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Likewise, fanservice didn't feel present, however, because of Lawrence's reactions, particularly to a naked Horo, I'm starting to wonder if he is indeed human. (Fanservice has done this to me!!) He seems to be an experienced, travelling merchant in his late twenties (atleast) and should therfore be able to overcome nudity; he actually seemed more intrigued by her animalistic nature than he was aroused by her boobies, which is always appreciated in an anime.

Certainly there was no groundbreaking 'super-choice' where voices are concerned, but it doesn't surprise any of us, and it can be lived with. Horo's voice doesn't bother me, like some have mentioned, it sounds as if some attempt was made to give her a voice different from that of a stereotypical, female, teenage anime character. Lawrence's voice, however, could easily be imagined droning through the teeth of a male equivalent.

omnistry wrote:

I think the chemistry between Horo & Lawrence is what's going to make or break the series

I certainly hope not. An obvious romantic relationship between the two main characters and a weak story would probably kill any interest I have in watching, (or re-watching), this show.
I'm a fan of romanticity between characters as much as the next lover of anime, but it will be tiring to see the environment and ideas go to waste on what would be a predictable exchange of love. The "we're living like a married couple", followed by the, "oh I fell on your tail", then the, "I think I'm in love". 'Surprising' us all, Horo replies, "no, it just can't be, I'm a wolf girl, see my hideous form", perhaps followed by a sad, near elegiac separation, and the "I will love you forever" sentiment. And that would be the good version, the bad would be a happy ending.
That said, I can't guess nor identify any apparent story so far. I hope it's a good one. And if I do see romance(and I probably will), it had better be done superbly, and not consist of a few scanty splashings of 'chemistry' here and there.
All in all, I shall watch the second episode.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Emerje wrote:
People here are saying that this voice should have been done differently and this character should have a different voice and this and that should have been done this way, but really I'm glad they did the unexpected, it feels more thoughtful, like they wanted the series to be known for doing things its own way, not the expected way.

Uh, the expected way is for the characters to be cast with generic anime-style voices -- like what usually happens. And it did. The unexpected way would be to give them voices that actually fit the characters.

Though again, that's hardly a make or break element here.

Some said Lawrence should have had a deeper voice and that Horo's howl shouldn't have been so realistic. That, IMO, would be the generic and expected way of doing it. I for one am glad that they went with lighter voices and the realistic howl, that's the uniquely and unexpected sound that I like from this show.

Quote:
Quote:

There's been more examples of nudity -- and exploitive at that -- in anime that has been licensed. I don't think it would be too much of a negative in a decision in bringing this series over.

Granted, but usually in shows that are already uber violent or based on fanservice and eyecandy and not for around 25% of the episode. Spice and Wolf doesn't appear to be either. For now it seems like the series will be a casually paced light story that over here would be marketed towards fans of similar shows which don't feature nudity. It could be a hangup.

Emerje
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Some said Lawrence should have had a deeper voice and that Horo's howl shouldn't have been so realistic. That, IMO, would be the generic and expected way of doing it. I for one am glad that they went with lighter voices and the realistic howl, that's the uniquely and unexpected sound that I like from this show.

Agreed. I love the howl. And though I can't particularly justify it reasonably, I really like it when Lawrence sounds younger than he appears to be.

Easier connection, IMO, etc., etc. Or may be I just like Lelouch and tired of "smart, cool main character guy" sounding like Kyon all the time. *cough*

Though I do think Lawrence is different from the usual "smart, cool main character guy." Namely, he's an experienced merchant in a Renaissance fantasy world. He needs his wits and all of it.

Quote:
Granted, but usually in shows that are already uber violent or based on fanservice and eyecandy and not for around 25% of the episode. Spice and Wolf doesn't appear to be either. For now it seems like the series will be a casually paced light story that over here would be marketed towards fans of similar shows which don't feature nudity. It could be a hangup.

Eh, that shouldn't be a problem. Most fans who are "mature" enough to like those high fantasy shows ought to also be mature enough to take a little tasteful nudity. Exceptions taken into account of course.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
I was reading Psgels blog and got a laugh at him pretty much saying Imagin are ruining an award winning novel by including all this crap fnaserivce, people should check the source material before saying something like that :roll:

Boy I can't wait for next episode, between the omg imagin are inserting fanservice and omg this is boring it's going to be fun sifting through all that crap on other forums and blogs.

Anyway onto the voices, first off I think it will be interesting to see if peoples opinions change when the series is over. Seems a lot of people seem to want a Ginko type voice for the 25 year old Lawrence. While Fukuyama hasn't sold me on his voice yet I personally don't mind it. Though reading some opinions you would think he was using the voice he used in Macross Frontier...

Now as for Ami Koshimizu Horo I'm enjoying that, I really don't think you can call that an anime generic voice, if any voice she has could be called anime generic I would say it's her Kallen from Code Geass and this sounds nothing like it.

There really wasn't that much dialogue in the first episode so next episode should clear up some opinions hopefully. Fukuyama will more than get his chance to sell me on his normal speaking Lawerence voice next episode.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Just watched this last night. For some reason is was expecting the animation quality to be much higher. Mostly I don't mind, but there was one scene when Horo stood up and the way her hair fell (or more accurately, didn't fall) really irked me. It was as though it was a single solid object. Also, I was underwhelmed by the look of her tail considering how much importance and pride she places in it.
Another thing: is Chloe original to the anime or did the manga just ditch her?

Time and Space wrote:
omnistry wrote:

I think the chemistry between Horo & Lawrence is what's going to make or break the series

I certainly hope not. An obvious romantic relationship between the two main characters and a weak story would probably kill any interest I have in watching, (or re-watching), this show.

Chemistry doesn't necessarily mean romance, it can simply refer to how the characters interact. The dynamic between the two is what is going to make or break the series is what I believe omnistry meant.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Another thing: is Chloe original to the anime or did the manga just ditch her?

She's an anime original character, she fit in quite well with the first episode imo.
Time and Space

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Chemistry doesn't necessarily mean romance, it can simply refer to how the characters interact. The dynamic between the two is what is going to make or break the series is what I believe omnistry meant.

True, I may have been too hasty in reading romance into chemistry. Though it does go without saying that the two central characters need to share some kind of rapport with one another however that might manifest itself, and then one must ask what kind of 'dynamic' one believes is most suitable to 'make or break the series'. I will need to see some pretty advanced chemistry, e.g. romance, if the whole series is to rely on chemistry alone. And like I say, I wouldn't want to see the series consist solely of weak banter, weak dynamic, or weak chemistry, between the two. But nor do I think charming and delightful chemistry between the two will 'make' the series. I think more than chemistry will be needed if the anime is to warrant a special place in my memory, just like many other, particularly sci-fi and fantasy, anime.
Ach, I've used the word chemistry too much, does it even mean anything anymore??!? I may be able to define it, but to say what a 'series-making' and 'series-breaking' chemistry is, is quite another thing altogether
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
And though I can't particularly justify it reasonably, I really like it when Lawrence sounds younger than he appears to be.

Equally love the howl, but the only reason I felt Lawrence's voice should be older is just because that's how I pictured his voice when viewing the production art. It's not unfitting, it just may take some time for me to get used to him sounding "younger" than he looks. I think it makes him seem more naïve that way (whether or not he's supposed to...).

I like Ami Koshimizu. She'll make a great Horo.

Also, I don't think there will be any problems with the nudity. It was closer to Chobits-type rather than Elfen Lied-type. (I'm talking about Chobits episode one.) Even so, this may cause it to be licensed faster.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm feeling lazy so I'm just going to ctrl+v my post from AoD:

<3 Horo. I love her personality and she's a blast to watch. Being a cute wolf girl most definitely does not hurt and if she enjoys prancing around naked, so much the better. Pretty much everything I knew about this coming in was what Andrew had said in this thread before: "Moeconomics." I'm certainly intrigued and I'm curious to see where they go with this premise.

And the ending is quite amusing.
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Time and Space wrote:
omnistry wrote:

Right, like the chemistry between Ed & Al in Fullmetal, or Motoko & Batou in Ghost in the Shell. I know it's weird to think of anime characters as "actors," but when you look at great series of past you tend to compare the acting of both the cartoon and seiyuu the same way as you'd compare the acting to real people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 35