• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toshiba Discontinues HD DVD Business

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Some people say the format is more prone to being affected by scratches (this isn't the same meaning as more prone to being scratched), but I dunno if that will be true or not.

I don't remember which it is--they are either highly resistant to scratching or the data is far enough away from the surface that scratches don't affect it. Either way, you really don't need to worry about scratches with BD media.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I'm not that fond of Microsoft either. So hurray I guess. I wonder how much damage this will cause to the XBox 360?

Probably not much. Not least because unless Sony just bends them over on the price to license the technology, Microsoft no longer has any discernible reason to not just go ahead and release an external Bluray drive for the 360 just like they did for HD-DVD. And honestly, adding the HD-DVD drive to the 360 was a convenience, not a reason to buy the system. There's not much reason to be angry about this.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I did some Internet checking on the Blu-Ray fragility issue and I did find some things. Not sure if they will be significant though. Some people say the format is more prone to being affected by scratches (this isn't the same meaning as more prone to being scratched), but I dunno if that will be true or not.

The data layer is very close to the surface of the disc, so that does mean that scratches are more likely to be fatal. However, to rectify this problem, BD/Sony licensed TDK's special scratch-resistant plating technology. There are no significant reports of disc failure due to scratches yet. (Then again, there aren't exactly a lot of kids' movies out on BD yet either.)
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I'm not that fond of Microsoft either. So hurray I guess. I wonder how much damage this will cause to the XBox 360?

This shouldn't really affect the Xbox 360 at all, being as it is not an HD game device. The games are still released on DVD-9s (hence Lost Odyssey's 4 discs), as opposed to the PS3 actually using Blu-Ray. Also, the HD DVD add-on sadly could not be used to play games, meaning that the Xbox would have no use of next-gen media formats until its next system. I'd say this is an all-around win for Sony and Blu-Ray, except for the Sony haters, of which I know a few...
Rosyna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Porcupine wrote:
I did some Internet checking on the Blu-Ray fragility issue and I did find some things. Not sure if they will be significant though. Some people say the format is more prone to being affected by scratches (this isn't the same meaning as more prone to being scratched), but I dunno if that will be true or not.

The data layer is very close to the surface of the disc, so that does mean that scratches are more likely to be fatal. However, to rectify this problem, BD/Sony licensed TDK's special scratch-resistant plating technology. There are no significant reports of disc failure due to scratches yet. (Then again, there aren't exactly a lot of kids' movies out on BD yet either.)

Because of the bad press BD's inherent fragility was generating, the BDA made hard coating mandatory. So one of BD's biggest weaknesses turned into one of its greatest strengths almost over night. The hard coating can stand up to steel wool. You can actually feel this strength when you molest a BD in your hand.

HD DVD has more problems with scratches than DVD (assume the scratches are the same size, HD DVD would have more problems) and does not have a mandatory hard coating (or any...)
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The data layer is very close to the surface of the disc, so that does mean that scratches are more likely to be fatal. However, to rectify this problem, BD/Sony licensed TDK's special scratch-resistant plating technology. There are no significant reports of disc failure due to scratches yet.

Beat me to it. Like I said, if it wasn't for HD-DVD, Blu-Ray discs would be in caddies, and there wouldn't be an issue (except for increased cost, of course). As it is, everything depends on the long-term stability of TDK's Durabis coating, which has only been around for 3 years so far.
Serge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Well That's stupid, they know HD-DVD is going down, and they still plan to make anime on HD-DVD after the announcement.

Freedom, What a rip off price!
DClark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
There are no significant reports of disc failure due to scratches yet. (Then again, there aren't exactly a lot of kids' movies out on BD yet either.)

lol, yes. I remember when looking after my young nephew the DVD player was skipping, so I took the DVD out and saw the bottom was scratched like crazy; after investigating further all his DVDs had an obscene amount of scratches (and seeing DVDs on the floor and out of their cases told me why).

For technical specs, the data layer on a BD disk is 0.1mm away from the bottom of the disk, while in CD, DVD, and HD DVD the data layer is 0.6mm away from the bottom of the disk.
DClark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
Well That's stupid, they know HD-DVD is going down, and they still plan to make anime on HD-DVD after the announcement.

Unless the Toshiba Police are planning to raid every household that bought an HD DVD player, there will still be a market for disks (at least for a while).

I own a Toshiba HD-A3 so if Freedom does get down to a more reasonable price I'd have no problem buying an HD DVD. I'm still planning to buy both Justice League: New Frontiers and Appleseed: Ex Machina in HD DVD. I'm hoping the announcement may cause Warner to remove the 3 week wait they inserted when they made the Blu-ray announcement in January (most likely done to prevent the embarrassment of an HD DVD disk beating its Blu-ray counterpart in sales in a given week).
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:

Freedom, What a rip off price!

I don't know. I think the decision to continue with HD to the end was fairly respectable. Imagine how you would feel if you have a stand alone player, and bought all three of the $1.50 a minute DVDs. Then all of a sudden they decide to either stop or switch to Blu-ray. You can imagine how pissed one might get.

Now I still think it might be a good idea for them to switch over to Blu-ray, but I think it is also a good thing that they are staying with HD for the fans who already bought the series from them. Nothing wrong with that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jih2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted to buy this at some point, how disappointing...
Rosyna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
DClark wrote:
(most likely done to prevent the embarrassment of an HD DVD disk beating its Blu-ray counterpart in sales in a given week).

Actually, I believe it was done so Warner wouldn't breach their existing contracts. However, with Toshiba shutting down HD DVD, the contract may already be automatically cancelled and Warner may not have to release any HD DVDs now. That is, Appleseed for HD DVD may be cancelled now.

Just like how Universal just announced they are going BD, even though they signed an 18 month contract with Toshiba. HD DVD is dead, and the contract should have had a clause saying the contract is void if HD DVD officially died. Toshiba would have agreed to this, thinking there's no way HD DVD would die.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
hence Lost Odyssey's 4 discs

That's also Sakaguchi-san showing off.The RPG is in Five spoken languages.Microsoft knew there was a war coming and refused to intra grate HD-DVD into the 360.

Blu-ray is PS3's only saving grace after the father of playstation,(Ken Kutaragi)left Sony.Sony is still recovering from the Dual shock lawsuit as well.A lot of different companies are in a slump right now.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The Freedom item is old news. Anyway, while I respect BV for being the last company willing to stick by its fans, I still don't see the point, if they probably didn't make much money on the combo disc. Are they hoping the HD owners will buy their other stuff, once they convert to Blu Ray?
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say is that I believe that this will backfire on Sony, I truly believe that many people will NOT be convinced to move from DVDs at least not yet. I think many will still stick with old DVDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4