• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Haruka -Beyond the Stream of Time- GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oronae

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
I imagine this is the pretty boy version of Sakura Taisen then. In a might be halfway decent if you've played the games but since you haven't it's utterly incomprehensible sort of way.
jared_thorin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:29 am Reply with quote
[quote="Celes"]

If you are looking for another Fushigi Yugi, read Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden, also by Yuu Watase, which may just be better than the original. If you are looking for another girl in another world adventure that is NOT like Fushigi Yugi, try Red River or hell, even Inuyasha.[quote]
I watched a good fifty something episodes of Inu yasha it left no impression on me, I've owned Genbu Kaiden since...well before it started coming out in America...I like it worlds more then FY, and as for Red River...that comic disgusted me such in the first couple of volumes that I sold it back to my7 local comic book store for fifty cents each, and let me tell you I don't do that often.
Elisian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
jared_thorin wrote:

I watched a good fifty something episodes of Inu yasha it left no impression on me, I've owned Genbu Kaiden since...well before it started coming out in America...I like it worlds more then FY, and as for Red River...that comic disgusted me such in the first couple of volumes that I sold it back to my7 local comic book store for fifty cents each, and let me tell you I don't do that often.

Red River....Yeah. That one's great if you're into skinning little boys, and wearing their flesh. There are some other great "bonked on the head transported to other worlds" titles too, such as From Far Away, Rayearth, Angeligue, Twelve Kingdoms, Miyuki chan in Wonderland, Land of Silver Rain, and Operation Liberate Men. However I still believe that Harukanaru is as good as most of these. Very Happy
skyesage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I so agree that this is a rip-off.

Me: "Okay, I'm not the biggest Fushigi fan ever, so why should I like a cheap rip-off?"

I mean, it isn't even a parody like Kyo Kara Mao was. And at least KKM was slashable. Wink
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Elisian wrote:
Fushigi was chock full of the same character over, and over. Oh wait that's what Yuu Watase does. Harukanaru Toki No Nakade tells a similar story with better characters, and prettier art.

Well excuse me, give me a mangaka who have made tons of series that didn't have any such similarities with their previous work. (Exclude Clamp cause they are group).

And yeah the review for Harukanaru is right on everything. I couldn't even pass the first page. Horrible art, copy-cat, confusing panels.

Btw just follow Celes's recommendations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skyesage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
Elisian wrote:
Fushigi was chock full of the same character over, and over. Oh wait that's what Yuu Watase does. Harukanaru Toki No Nakade tells a similar story with better characters, and prettier art.

Well excuse me, give me a mangaka who have made tons of series that didn't have any such similarities with their previous work. (Exclude Clamp cause they are group).

And yeah the review for Harukanaru is right on everything. I couldn't even pass the first page. Horrible art, copy-cat, confusing panels.

You know what my immediate response is? Minekura Kazuya. In EVERY ONE OF HER SERIES, there is ALWAYS THE SAME GUY.

CHO HAKKAI (Saiyuki). MISHIBA TOKI (Bus Gamer). KUBOTA MAKOTO (Wild Adapter). THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
@skyesage well there you go, my point exactly.

Often mangaka tend to have characters that has the same resemblance/personality as their previous work.

Wait till the mangaka of Harukanaru create another series and compare the characters drawing/personality and concept to this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elisian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:

Often mangaka tend to have characters that has the same resemblance/personality as their previous work.

Wait till the mangaka of Harukanaru create another series and compare the characters drawing/personality and concept to this series.

All of Yuu Watase's characters have the same personality. I'm not talking about previous works. I'm talking about the entire cast of "pretty boys" from Fushigi having the exact same personality. No diversity at all. Now that we are talking about her other works though. They are the same too. It's like she goes through her list of two different personalities, and pastes them over like 15 characters. Ick! I think the characters in Haruka are more Diverse. That is what I was getting at. I mean hell as an example Tasuki, and Tamahome are the exact same character on the inside.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Well besides the thing you said about Tamahome and Tasuki, Fushigi Yugi has one of the most good character development and memorable cast.

And you can say that she has no diversity in her character personalities, but she created one of the best story and concept out there.
Sakuya Masaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Elisian wrote:
chichiriNoDa wrote:

All of Yuu Watase's characters have the same personality. I'm not talking about previous works. I'm talking about the entire cast of "pretty boys" from Fushigi having the exact same personality. No diversity at all. Now that we are talking about her other works though. They are the same too. It's like she goes through her list of two different personalities, and pastes them over like 15 characters. Ick! I think the characters in Haruka are more Diverse. That is what I was getting at. I mean hell as an example Tasuki, and Tamahome are the exact same character on the inside.

I totally disagree. I think that FY has the most diversity of characters in all of Watase's works. The guys in that series are very varied in both personality and appearance and I think it's one of the best reverse harems out there. If it didn't have some kind of value to it, why would Haruka be copying it so much and trying so hard to use that formula?
Now, when you go from series to series w/Watase, I will agree that there are definitely the "Tamahome clones". There's typically a male character, usually the lead male love interest, that looks like and usually acts just like Tamahome. It's something that Watase just can't seem to escape. But w/in FY, I think the guys are fairly unique. I'm not saying that FY is so amazingly great, but compared to Haruka? I mean, come on! Why even bother w/such a poor substitution instead of reading the real thing? I mean, you want to talk about lack of diversity and say that Haruka's characters are more varied? I can't even tell them apart even in appearance alone!

Bottom line is don't waste your money on this title. It's a serious mess of a manga. Send the message to Viz that this series just won't cut it.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for the review! I had wanted to watch the anime since I first heard about it years ago, and I was thinking about reading the manga. Considering that I only mildly enjoyed the FY anime (although I didn't see the whole thing, so maybe I would like it more if I went back and re-watched) and I really am not a Yuu Watase fan, I can't see myself remotely enjoying a Yuu Watase rip off that doesn't even have a coherent plot.
jared_thorin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
Elisian wrote:

You know If you couldn't make it past the first page you don't really have a whole lot of debating room Smile

chichiriNoDa wrote:
Well besides the thing you said about Tamahome and Tasuki, Fushigi Yugi has one of the most good character development and memorable cast.

And you can say that she has no diversity in her character personalities, but she created one of the best story and concept out there.

I agree Yuu Watase did make one of the best stories out there. Ceres was great Wink
jared_thorin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
Elisian wrote:

You know If you couldn't make it past the first page you don't really have a whole lot of debating room Smile

chichiriNoDa wrote:

I agree Yuu Watase did make one of the best stories out there. Ceres was great Wink
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
jared_thorin wrote:

I know that's why I couldn't critize the characters in Haruka. LoL
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
If you don't like a series, don't read it. It's as simple as that. But don't insult those of us who do.

I was a fan of Fushigi Yuugi. I have the Suzaku, Seiryuu, and Oni boxes, as well as Eikoden. I even watch them once in a while. When I don't get sick to my stomach watching all the melodrama crap that you have to put up with.

HaruToki is a wonderful series, with very thought out and detailed characters. I can barely read Japanese, even with the use of an extensive dictionary, but the characters grow massively, and each character is given a chance to shine, unlike certain other series which focus on a single character or two. Especially Yasuaki's growth, which Director Tsunaki of the anime even admits makes him his favorite character.

And while there are many male characters, it's not really a harem series. Of the 11 male characters in the series, only two of them are even romantically attracted to Akane. Most of them care for her, but it's different than romantic love. Yorihisa wants to protect her, and she helps him see that there's more to life than duty. Tenma's an idiot who needs to die... I mean, um... Tenma... nevermind, I'm not going to try to make him sound good... I hate him. Shimon is like the younger brother who knows that he'll find someone for himself, but finds it hard to wait while those around him find those they care about, and wants to help as much as he can. Inori wants to protect Akane, but is conflicted between what he has always known, and what he sees in front of him. Tomomasa just likes teasing her, he's not attracted to her. Takamichi cares for Akane, but the most important woman to him is his mother. Yasuaki doesn't have "human emotions," but he feels drawn to Akane for some strange reason. Eisen cares deeply, and even loves Akane, but he knows that it would never be possible, because he must become Emperor after his brother, and she must return to her own time (and Tenma still needs to die, and I wish Yorihisa and Yasuaki made good on their threats to him). Akuram doesn't care for her, he only desires her power. Ikutidaru already has someone, who is with child. And Sefuru is too confused about where he stands to care for anyone.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about Suefumi, as he just showed up in volume 14

You know, I think I'm going to go pull out my manga and start reading again... Well, after I re-watch the DVD to write my review of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4