• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Region coding.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Anyway, where could I get this "boot disc," or are these illegal? The word "boot" kinda gives it a bad connotation. Are there any possible side affects I should be weary of?

Boot Disk is short for bootable disk simply referes to a CD-ROM (Or Floppy drive on computers) that is used to start-up the comptuer after the POST (PS2s also have a POST procedure, you just are never aware of it).

Bootable Disk Definition
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Wow. $130 you say? It's not in Dutch is it?

He, he. I live in Denmark not Netherland or Belgium, our currency is in kroners because the idiot population of this country voted against adopting the Euro as our national currency. Anywaste, I converted the price point from Danish kroners to US dollars and it resulted in 130$.

The specs don't sound too bad, although I think that they are a little overkill unless you have the right equipment to hook them up too. Being a something of a videophile myself I know a lot about this stuff. The progressive scan capabilities are pretty much useless unless you have a television that can accept a 480p progressive scan signal. Here in Europe there are only a handful of sets that have that capability, but in the US it is much more widespread. If you have a HDTV set then it should be able to and otherwise it is anyone’s guess. Tell me which set you have your DVD hooked up to and I can check out if it is capable.

As for the built in Dolby digital decoder, it is also pretty much useless in these days where even the cheapest receivers have both Dolby Digital and DTS decoder chips in them. I assume that you don't have a surround system so you wont need dolby digital anyway, so forget about that. Since you don't need those things and the DVD player is not a known brand I find it hard to recommend it at that price point. I checked around a little for you and it couldn’t find any DVD players with built in capability to play divx files in the US, which I find strange since they are everywhere to be found over here these days. I should mention that the known and “respectable” brands don’t have divx capabilities, only the noname brands. But you should only look for it if you want to be able to burn divx files on cd’s and watch them on your TV via the dvd player. If not then just stick to the lower end models from SONY, Phillips and Panasonic the latter of which I wholeheartedly recommend. Just use some kind of online electronics price comparison site to find the cheapest prices.

Here is a list of players: http://www.price.com/electronics/drill.html?epg=3151&tci=3097&maxperpage=25&OrderMethod=

You can further refine your search by selecting a specific manufacturer and/or specifications and have the search results be ordered by price.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
IMO, go for something cheaper. $100 should be sufficient to get a good player that plays all regions.

No, it's really not.

You get what you pay for. Region modding adds at least $50 to the price since you have to chip the good decks. Expect to spend at least $150
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:06 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
He, he. I live in Denmark not Netherland or Belgium, our currency is in kroners because the idiot population of this country voted against adopting the Euro as our national currency.

Ah. Oops Anime catgrin + sweatdrop. My knowledge of European geography and ethnicity is pretty limited. Sorry about that.

kamiboy wrote:
As for the built in Dolby digital decoder, it is also pretty much useless in these days where even the cheapest receivers have both Dolby Digital and DTS decoder chips in them. I assume that you don't have a surround system so you wont need dolby digital anyway, so forget about that.

Actually I do have a surround sound system. It's a Sony Home Theater System. It's got DTS, Dolby Digital, and Digtal Cinema Sound options. I have a few movies with DTS, but for some reason it's not playing through though. I have 5 100 watt speakers and a 75 watt sub-woofer. It's set up in my game room, which is pretty small, so it sounds great since the speakers are so close to me.

About that DTS, I'm pretty sure I've got everything hooked up. I also have my PS2 hooked to it, but still no DTS. A friend of mine also has a similar setup (though a different sound system), but the DTS worked just fine on his PS2. Any tips?

kamiboy wrote:
Since you don't need those things and the DVD player is not a known brand I find it hard to recommend it at that price point.

Yeah, I've never heard of this company either. But from what the site I found this on says, they're based here in the U.S.

kamiboy wrote:
I checked around a little for you and it couldn’t find any DVD players with built in capability to play divx files in the US, which I find strange since they are everywhere to be found over here these days.

Yeah, I have another friend who got one of those kinds of players for Xmas. Don't know where it came from though. He watches a lot of Inuyasha fansubs and Simpsons episodes he burnt on disc.

kamiboy wrote:
I should mention that the known and “respectable” brands don’t have divx capabilities, only the noname brands. But you should only look for it if you want to be able to burn divx files on cd’s and watch them on your TV via the dvd player. If not then just stick to the lower end models from SONY, Phillips and Panasonic the latter of which I wholeheartedly recommend. Just use some kind of online electronics price comparison site to find the cheapest prices.

Thanks. I probably don't need the DivX playing feature. I just want something that'll play R2 and R3 DVDs. I'll look more into it. Thank you very much for your help again! Wink

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually I do have a surround sound system. It's a Sony Home Theater System. It's got DTS, Dolby Digital, and Digtal Cinema Sound options. I have a few movies with DTS, but for some reason it's not playing through though

You need to enable DTS in your player's setup menu

Refer toyour manual
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:32 am Reply with quote
Ups!

In my hurry I forgot to discuss the plus points of the player that you mentioned. The specs say that it has NTSC/PAL conversion, which is good if your set cannot handle PAL signals. You should look into that by reading your sets manual and make sure it can if you decide to buy a player that cannot do the conversion.

As for my recommendation of the known brand DVD players I forgot to mention that none of them are region free by default. But pressing a sequence of buttons on the player and its remote can change the default region coding on some players. You can prolly find out if a specific player can be hacked this way by searching on google for the name of the player and the words “region hack”, “remote hack” or some such.

As for getting DTS to work on your PS2 you need to first hook it up to your receiver via the optical digital out, but I trust you already have. Then you boot up the PS2 and enter the “System Configuration” menu. In there you choose the “DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL)” option and made sure that it is “on”. If it is on then go out of “System Configuration”, pop in a DVD and wait for it to boot up. Once it has stop the movie by pressing SQUARE on the joypad and then press SELECT to show the dvd options menu and then choose the option “Setup”. In the “Setup” option choose the option “Audio Setup” and in there choose the option “Audio Digital Out”. Once again make sure here that the option “DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL)” is set to “on”. Then scroll down and make sure that all the other sub-options (Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG) are also set to “on”. Once you’ve done that go out of the options menu and restart the movie and hey presto you have Dolby Digital and DTS sound working.
eva05

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:11 am Reply with quote
Well let me first start out by saying, the reason companies put region coding on discs is so naughty folks such as yourself won't buy outside of their region and, theoretically, support companies in your part of the world that have paid $ X for product Y.

That being said, I happen to think this is one of the dumbest ideas since Copy Protect CDs and seems to work about as well.

You can get any number of region free DVD players ranging anywhere from around $50 (for cheap junk) up to the multi-thousands of dollars range for the highest end of the highest end.

I myself have a Pioneer Elite 510, modded for multi-region, and that has served me well over the past year or so. The benefits of this player are especially evident on HDTV (on my old Wega stuff looked nice, but HD and 720 p, oooo it's a whole new world of visual whoop ***)

If you have a nice tv or are planning on getting one, get a more costly player. It'll be worth it. Trust me Anime smile

j
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:30 pm Reply with quote
frostedsaiyan wrote:
Is a region free dvd player illegal? I'm saying this because most bootleg dvds are region 0 or region free.

You don't need a region free player to play region free discs. (Region Free = Region 0 = R0).

R0 Discs are discs that will play on any DVD player regardless of the DVD player's region (but video format still has to be the same).

R0 Players are players that will play any disk (R0, R1, R2, ... R5), regardless of the discs region.

Region free DVD players and discs are not illegal in most countries, however, strict application of the DMCA could render R0 DVD players (not DVDs) illegal in the united states. The DMCA states that it is illegal to try to circumvent the copy protection of any device. I don't know if any such case has come up yet though, and if it has, I certainly don't know the outcome.

I glad I'm Canadian Anime smallmouth;
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:43 pm Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:

Techweb doesn't permit deep linking.

Anyways, a "Boot Disk" is a Disk (CD, Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, or other) that is capable of starting a computer. It has the various files on it that make up an operating system of some sort.

"Booting" a computer means to start the computer, and it originates way back before any of us even knew what a computer was, when some computers occasionally needed to be kicked by the lab rats (err, techs) to get them to start.

-t
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:53 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
As for getting DTS to work on your PS2...

Yeah, it's always been set like that. Still, nothing... Crying or Very sad

EDIT: Heh, I just noticed why it's not working. I don't even have an optical digital cable hooked up (baka, baka, baka... Mad) Guess I'll go and buy one sometime. Anime smile + sweatdrop
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Heh, I just noticed why it's not working. I don't even have an optical digital cable hooked up (baka, baka, baka... ) Guess I'll go and buy one sometime.

Yeah, like I said, that cable is pretty essential to the entire process.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote
i dont know how many times one can do it but on my ps2 just messing arounnd on it on one of the menues is a option for region.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:14 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
i don't know how many times one can do it but on my ps2 just messing arounnd on it on one of the menues is a option for region.

That has nothing to do with region coding, rather you are choosing the default region for the rating of the DVD. This should only be messed with if you want to enable the rating protection to disallow children watching something they shouldn't on the PS2. Useless for most of us, it won't allow you to watch region 2 discs on your American PS2.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:35 am Reply with quote
Ah ha! After going out to Best Buy this past weekend, I bought myself a 3' (' means feet right) optical digital cable, in which I returned the next day for a longer one.

But nonetheless, I notice a very significant boost in my sound system. Everything is just so much louder and crispier (or more crisp, whichever sounds gramatically correct.)

I watched a little of the Escaflowne movie, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, and Hero (the Jet Li movie) and it sounds awesome.

I'm still thinking of getting a region free player, but there's still a lot left on my "to buy list" including SDF Macross, Rurouni Kenshin "Wandering Samurai" and "Kyoto," Boogepop Phantom, and Neon Genesis Evangelion movie R1 box sets. So it'll probably be a while till I can save up for that player.

Keep any suggestions coming. But if you're out of them or just plain tired of this thread, feel free to move on to something more worthy to talk about. Thanks again everyone! Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:37 pm Reply with quote
OK, I found this nifty looking machine about a week ago and it sounds like a really good deal. I'm no tech expert, so I don't really know what to think.

It's something I've been looking for, and I'm very eager to get it if I can. After that, I'll probably go on an Asian movie shopping spree. Very Happy

But are there any video tech people here that could tell me if this is worth my purchasing it? Thank you! Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4