• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - City of Angels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
Too bad about Shattered Angels. I read a synopsis about it which sounded pretty good, so I bought vol. 1. I enjoyed it. It fills my fanservice quota and the story wasn't that difficult to follow. I especially liked the two bonus mini episodes that(especially the second one) fleshed out more background of four of the characters. Plus, at only 3 volumes, it won't be a costly show to collect either.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:27 am Reply with quote
Not that this has much to do with anything, but in the Honey & Clover movie, there's a scene at the art show where they're walking through some sculptures...and all of a sudden there's this giant thing that looks EXACTLY like the logo for Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. Check out the logo here. Craziness.

Honey & Clover is a fantastic show, and I would recommend it to anybody. Thanks, Viz!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Raiden Kitsune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised at the hate for Shattered Angels. I really didn't find the story to be all that confusing at all, myself. There's a lot of potentially confusing plot packed into a short anime, but I didn't have any trouble following it or remembering it from episode to episode. It's true that it leaves a lot of blanks as far as figuring out what's actually going on at the beginning, but that's not exactly unique for an anime storyline, and all is explained in time.

Personally, I didn't think it was on the same level as Kannazuki no Miko, but very few series that I've seen are, as far as I'm concerned. I'd definitely put it in the "worth recommending" pile.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
As a fan of the Honey & Clover anime I have to say I really disliked the live action movie. It changed way too many things. While I realize it is hard to condense an entire series into a 2 hour movie, my main gripe is not the changes in the plot but how character personalities were completely different (especially Morita).

Well I hope the live action movie sells well so maybe Viz will finally release the anime on DVD.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
yikes!!!

that shelf on the picture #4 looks like it's falling apart...

I'm pretty sure that's 3 small pictures spliced together, hence the fish-eye look.

And hey- I'm not the only one who bought Burst Angel used from a Gamestop! Laughing (Mine was having a 3 for $10 sale at the time.)
se37

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote
I don't really get all the hate for Shuffle! I really like the series, it's not perfect but then again nothing is. I like the series cause it's fun to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ilkz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
ilkz wrote:
In the last photo of today's collection, what is that box labeled "Japanese Animation A-Z"?

That's probably meant to be there to help categorize the shows. Like labeling different sections of dvds in a video store. Though if I am right he kind of failed a bit since there's a lot of other titles besides anime there lol. Wink He does get +5 awesome points for the Beerfest and Munich dvds though. I was surprised to see the Sailor Victory dvd there as well.

As for the reviews themselves I am a bit saddened. I had heard Shuffle actually finally had something of a real plot and depth start in vol 4 but it seems it's just a saturation of soap opera drama passing itself off as depth. *gets out his rasinets in anticipation* Anime catgrin + sweatdrop What can I say, I love cheesiness. I suppose I'll get even more of it when my Netflix rentals of Shattered Angels vols 1 & 2 get here sometime next week.

LOL, I thought that was a xTB giant hard disk containing all the rip of his collection.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
What a haphazardly arranged collection of DVDs. And he has Sailor Moon R. Sad
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I want all those Sailor Moon manga. *jealousy*
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The best part for me in the Honey and Clover live action movie was spoiler[the soy sauce dragon].

Hmmm, some many VHS, yet I see one the photo doesn't have >=D

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I figured Bamboo must have had a special reason to keep reviewing each volume of Shuffle when it kept being considered perishable. Sometimes it's fun to watch something bad. Cool
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
._.;

I applaud Nathan for having tons of the Sailor Moon Manga.
scrapps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
that guy has a shot glass from "The Henry Ford" i get the feeling i might know who they are.

-G

I *do* know him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
HAHA finish what you already have before getting more!!!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
Posty wrote:
HAHA finish what you already have before getting more!!!

What the hell are you even talking about? Confused Seriously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3