• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-08-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
I wish moe was a genre.

Actually, I have never seen fierce retaliation towards moe in general. A few complaints and mockery humor ("moe blob"), but it always seemed to me is you either enjoy or ignore it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I just thought it's worth mentioning that your Flake of the Week pic is a perfect example of Anatidaephobia — the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

hahahaha thats an interesting new phobia.

but yea regarding the flake of the week, i guess the guy doesnt understand that what he's doing is exactly the opposite of what he's proposing, but thats probably another topic for another forum...
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
psygremlin wrote:
I just thought it's worth mentioning that your Flake of the Week pic is a perfect example of Anatidaephobia — the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

That's...actually...really sorta creepy... Anime dazed
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Then again, my definition of "musical" is a production where the songs are part of the story

They are part of the story in Nerima. Though I think the closest you might get to an anime musical would be the South Park movie and
Happiness of the Katakuris.

Quote:
underwhelming sales.

That's due to a variety of factors, like it not being a godawful dating sim adaptation, it not having some stupid shonen fights, and it being for an audience old enough to get some of the in-jokes.

Quote:
Nerima Daikon Brothers had generally very simple songs, as a comparison

You really should check out the commentaries, as there was plenty of work put into each number.

Quote:
Most of his female characters are "generic kick-ass girl who can be a bitch sometimes" which fits right in with the anime medium!

That's because he ripped off Sailor Moon and Devil Hunter Yohko. Rolling Eyes

Pat:
Quote:
Anime companies up till this year were cranking out loads of new licenses, some for shows that appealed to a very niche-of-a-niche sector (I love Gatchaman and Macross, and am eternally grateful that ADV bought one and ressurected the other license, but, really, just how many units of both did ADV really sell?),

Yes, because Pumpkin Scissors and Aquarion are much more likely to be successful than Japanese versions of Tatsunoko shows which still get played on CN to this day. And they should all just license every single version of Negima instead, since that's what the market wants.

And I pretty much agree with Troy, except about BD being the solution, since anime companies have to get rid of their current inventory, in order to justify investing in new formats.

As for modern fandom, I really don't have a problem with it. It's a lot less isolated and hostile than the group before my time, since the current generation is more interested in having fun than carving up turf.

Finally, my take on the current state of the industry is similar to my comment on the previous generation of fans. Industry people seem more interested in stabbing each other in the back or succeeding on their own, rather than collaborating to better sell a product. Though sometimes, it's not about competition, but about arrogance; executives think they can get their piece of the pie without having to work for it.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of his female characters are "generic kick-ass girl who can be a bitch sometimes" which fits right in with the anime medium!

Funny, I thought of the exact opposite: most of his series has the cute/shy/innocent girl (moe?) who is killed or brutally tortured. spoiler[I can't be the only one annoyed that this continued with the end of Dr. Horrible, in spite of Neil Patrick Harris's hilarious performance.]

About the moe thing, I guess we should expect that our animated female characters be more realistic, just like the old days.

For the QOTW, I guess my annoyance is the sense of entitlement that comes with the fandom, along with all of the whining that seems to go hand in hand.

Last edited by Kenotic on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
In answer to this week's question: It's fractious nature. It seems like we are always arguing, always complaining, always assigning fault elsewhere. Sure, people are normally good and nice and reasonable, but that is just the front they put up. When a subject comes up that they feel passionately about, they toss the mask aside, and we see their true colours. One moment the forum is going swell, with harmless off-topic banter and ignorant new users representing the worst of the bunch. Then, someone mentions Moe, or Lolicon, or Fansubs, and we stop walking on eggshells and give the world our un-sanctioned opinion. And then some.

Now, in-fighting most certainly isn't just problem among fans of Anime and Manga. Fans of areas as diverse as comic books and the sports are at one another's throats. The word "modern" can carry a certain connotations, like:

"Characteristic or expressive of recent times or the present; contemporary or up-to-date."

So, according to the first definition, modern fans of Anime and Manga are simply doing what fans everywhere are doing. But, why should it be the same for us? Why do we think it is acceptable to fight amongst ourselves, when we should be enjoying the common pulse that drove us to this website - Anime and Manga?

"Of or relating to a recently developed or advanced style, technique, or technology."

I wonder, in what way is our behaviour towards others considered "advanced"? We live in the most technologically sophisticated civilisation ever known, yet the relative anonymity of the Internet has given rise to deplorable, loathsome conduct that should possess no status in current society. It is obvious, that the basic decorum in which people are expected to observe in real life is not observed once online. The two-faced behaviour is to be expected; indeed, I am more forthright here on ANN than I am in a face-to-face situation.

But that is an issue of shyness. It does not cover my actual concerns. That is the use of the Internet as an avenue for disruptive grandstanding - "trolling" in plain language - or as a stage for deliberate attacks upon people.

I believe that we exist as a community despite the vicious attacks, which is good news, somewhat. It means that we still come here to discuss Anime and Manga, even though the community must suffer prolonged, damaging bouts of ill-will. What I would really appreciate is if we could tone it down a bit. We should remember that there are real people on the receiving ends of our comments. We could try pretending that we are talking to them in person, and adjust our tone accordingly.

Just think about it. A fandom in which we discuss Anime, Manga and related topics, instead of witnessing grown men and women making immature (or worse) barbs on those who possess a different point of view. I know it is a tad alien to some, but we need to remember why we are here. Not to play tiddlywinks, not to prove a point. Not to shut-out or shut-down another point-of-view. Not for mindless trolling. I desire a fandom that is reputed throughout the world as one of the nicest, one of the safest, one of the most supportive.

We can attract newcomers by showing them some of the awesome material that Anime and Manga can provide. But, as I know from personal experience, the best way to retain those people is to show them a warm, civil community.

There is room for improvement, even on this forum, and it must come from the fans itself. If only we as a fandom could make that final transition; we wouldn't just grow and expand, but more importantly we would ensure our survivability.

So, a plea from me to everyone who's bothered to glance this far: Our fandom is in its teenage years, rebellious, sulky and argumentative. Let us grow up, because united we shall rule the world. Or, at least a large segment of the entertainment world, which is as-near-as-makes-no-difference. Wasting that potential on firing salvos at ourselves seems almost criminal.

I used the Free Online Dictionary for the definitions.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
The flake is surely a flake. Really does sound like a 13 year old new to the internet.

[/i]hitman reborn[/i]

Sure is an anime series. Laughing Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
It's two cents time! -cheesy music-

I think what the question about moe meant about all the moe hate that seems rampant on this site is how fierce some of it is and how the very word is treated like something repulsive. Even in the new X-button collumn I couldnt help but flinch when the reviewer said 'the strink of moe'.
I agree with Zac that its because there's a lot of it, and people tend to hate things when there's alot of it. But what always annoyed me was how the 'haters' couldnt just ignore it, and went on about it like it was 'taking over anime' and 'ruining anime today' or something.
I dont like mecha anime. Puts me right to sleep. But I wont call mecha fans creepy losers, or make fun of the fans themselves, or insist they must have some deranged robot fetish, their favourite shows are poisening my beloved industry and should be axed, and all their creators should die. Of course not.
This is what tends to happen alot with moe, though.
And yeah...I do tend to notice alot of the haters are male. Which always strikes me as odd, because a good deal of them harp on about how sexist it is. And then there's the lolrony that I, a female, am a self-proclaimed moe-enthusiast and cant help but roll my eyes when people say that.

tl;dr: There is good stuff and crap stuff in the world, but crap stuff is easily ignored and, amazingly enough, people who like crap stuff, or at least things you personally find crap, are no different to you.
For kraken's sake, anime is so diverse, but people who dont like moe act as if moe is all there is to choose from. It's not, so if you dont want it, go pick something hard-boiled and manly and enjoy that and quit yer belly-aching.
v1cious

backlash? how about cause it's pandering to the lowest demeanor and doesn't benefit the industry in any way, other than to satisfy a bunch of lolicons in denial? sorry if that comes off extreme, but come on people! you know who's fueling this trend, even if you're not willing to admit it. granted i'm not gonna say every show is horrible just because of it, it's just that most are. for every Higurashi, there's about 10 Strike Witches. it's the kind of thing that makes people look down on anime in general.
championferret

v1cious wrote:
backlash? how about cause it's pandering to the lowest demeanor and doesn't benefit the industry in any way, other than to satisfy a bunch of lolicons in denial? sorry if that comes off extreme, but come on people! you know who's fueling this trend, even if you're not willing to admit it. granted i'm not gonna say every show is horrible just because of it, it's just that most are. for every Higurashi, there's about 10 Strike Witches. it's the kind of thing that makes people look down on anime in general.

Wow, talk about a blanket statement. There's crap things within every genre, get over it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
granted i'm not gonna say every show is horrible just because of it, it's just that most are. for every Higurashi, there's about 10 Strike Witches. it's the kind of thing that makes people look down on anime in general.

Your right, it isn't horrible in the eyes of those who generally like and support it, hence we get more. But there's got to be a reason as to why it can be appealing. And, in my opinion it's not just the freaks who will support it. Somewhere out there is someone who thinks the shows are somewhat decent and passes it on to their friends. But the nice thing about Higurashi, you just don't fool around with these cute little girls and get away with it Wink
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Though I think the closest you might get to an anime musical would be the South Park movie and
Happiness of the Katakuris.

Incorrect! And the answer is...... Interstella 5555.
Koji98

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:14 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
v1cious wrote:
granted i'm not gonna say every show is horrible just because of it, it's just that most are. for every Higurashi, there's about 10 Strike Witches. it's the kind of thing that makes people look down on anime in general.

Your right, it isn't horrible in the eyes of those who generally like and support it, hence we get more. But there's got to be a reason as to why it can be appealing. And, in my opinion it's not just the people who will support it. Somewhere out there is someone who thinks the shows are somewhat decent and passes it on to their friends. But the nice thing about Higurashi, you just don't fool around with these cute little girls and get away with it Wink

Kind of aggressive there aren't we?
I like to say that I am one of those people who think numerous moe specific shows are somewhat decent and pass it on to others. When I watch moe, I'm not looking for something "serious" or such, but something I can just watch mindless and enjoy it simply because it's entertainment. There are certain moe shows that I don't watch, because I know that it is uninteresting and have no redeeming values to begin with, but that doesn't mean that the entire "genre" is made of "fail". I think you say it's for freaks and such is because (my opinion) that it allows a higher position in the fandom ladder than other fans. (kind of like how people into websites like 4chan see themselves higher beings than people who are into furries and star wars fans see themselves higher beings than star trek fans (not saying that everyone is, but I have run across situations like that numerous times)). If you don't like it, that's fine, but there's no reason for people to look down upon other because they believe the "genre" they like more is "superior" and people who like "inferior genres" are people lower in the society ladder. -end rant.

tl:dr - Everyone has their own opinions, and there is no such thing as a fandom ladder unless you just like to feel superior to others.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:16 am Reply with quote
Koji98 wrote:
tl:dr - Everyone has their own opinions, and there is no such thing as a fandom ladder unless you just like to feel superior to others.

Amen.
Jack of All Games

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've missed out on several series because I didn't have the $45-$55 to buy the boxed set for 26 episodes (Barely a season).

I'm not sure how I feel about this statement. On the one hand, I've only paid more than $30 for 2 of the last 20 box sets I've bought (Rightstuf is da bomb). On the other hand, I can remember, 8 years ago, finding a Trigun box set and thinking it was a steal for $100.

I guess the bottom line is that if you want something when it's new, you're going to have to fork over the dough. While you may "miss" a lot of shows, you can save a ton of money by waiting a while until they go on sale.

On a separate note, since when is 26 eps barely a season?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5