• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Recommendation for me - Any good Gothic Manga?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sacchan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
What about Onmyouji? I haven't actually read the manga, but it was a boom in Japan a few years ago, and I saw the movie. It's a legend based on a historical figure called Abe no Seimei. He has powers to battle demons, and his duty is to protect Kyoto.
pucca

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:59 pm Reply with quote
oh! you would definetely like DOGS. it's only one volume, but the art is beautiful and has an amazing storyline Anime dazed

i really hope alichino gets licensed! Anime cry
Onmyoji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:13 pm Reply with quote
If you want something grotesque and humorous than the artist for you is Junko Mizuno. Her art is overly cute, but can be just as sickening as anything you'll ever see. Imagine this if you will a cute and cuddly hello kitty looking cat holding a blade with guts on it. She has even put a spin on fairy tales such as Hanzel and Gretel and Cinderalla and trust me these ain't no happily ever after tales.
Also check out Fist of the North Star, one of the series most known for it's hyper violence if you like that kind of stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
chanman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I dunno if your down with korean mawhaw but Priest which is being released from tokyopop is awsome!
Akukaze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Have you looked into The Demon Ororon? I'm not sure if you would consider it 'gothic' but it's definately something to look into IMO. Also, whatabout Spiral ~Suiri no Kizuna~? It's a bit perky and such to start out with but as you get farther into the manga it get's a lot more interesting. *shrugs*
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:19 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I can answer that question. The darkest mangas that I've been reading are Vulgar Ghost Daydream, about a necromancing dominatrix, its..odd, but good. I hear it will be an anime soon. Skyhigh and its sequel Skyhigh:Karma which is a short anthology series about recently decesed people sent to the Gate of Grudges. There they can choose to accept it, reject it, or take vengence. Its not bad, and doesn't eat up your time, so you can look past any faults it has. Everything by that author is is pretty dark. Such as Alive, where a death row inmate is given a chance to survive. Gantz, which is by the author of HEN, I like the little of the manga I've read, the anime has odd execution, and I not sure its a good thing. Basically, anything released about Omanga translations should fit the bill. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Renaisance Otaku on Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks again guys. I've been wanting to get some Junko Mizuno for a long time now, I just can never find it in stores. I didn't know skyhigh had a sequal, so I'll be looking that up now.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 am Reply with quote
I'd suggest the Vertigo Title Death...the one that was released in the Manga-Style Format.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:33 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
I'd suggest the Vertigo Title Death...the one that was released in the Manga-Style Format.

Lol, bought and read at least 4 times over by now. *Sandman fan*
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:13 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't know if its Gothic per se, but if you liked X/1999 then I would highly recommend xxxHolic by Clamp.

Witches, freaky little children, and a bishie conned into working for them in a shop that grants wishes.

Really good....
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:40 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf=CLAMP fanatic (and I mean that in a good way)

I'm sure she's read it. :p
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:06 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Lol, bought and read at least 4 times over by now. *Sandman fan*

Whoops, my apologies.

On that note, not Japanese, but I think Oni Press came out with a Gothic-Esque Comic, printed almost in the size of the Viz Mangas (Size-wise like Silent Mobius and Steam Detectives) but the name eludes me....Courtney Coventry....something with Courtney in the name.
Captain Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:10 am Reply with quote
New manga I recently got a chance to read: Priest. It's kind of got a gothic feel to it, not to mention it's pretty good. Anime catgrin
Nihoxdria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
How about stuff like Hellsing, Blood: Blade of the Immortal, Silent Mobius, Battle Angel Alita, Lone Wolf and Cub, Weiss Kreuz, Samurai Crusader, Fist of the Blue Sky?

With the displayed list, I will agree that Hellsing would / should be enjoyable for you. Weiss Kreuz probably wouldn't be a bad selection either. I haven't read the manga for silent mobius, but the anime on Tech was pretty good.
pucca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:22 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Well, I don't know if its Gothic per se, but if you liked X/1999 then I would highly recommend xxxHolic by Clamp.

Witches, freaky little children, and a bishie conned into working for them in a shop that grants wishes.

Really good....

kimihiro is NOT a bishonen. he looks too much like luffy! Anime hyper

anyhow, link for DOGS: [EDIT - No scanilation websites. -C]

check it out, it's very striking and cool.~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3