• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime Series Confirmed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B.K.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
That looks like Mei in the upper left corner of the cover announcing the new show, so maybe it's going to be an adaption of the manga.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is a continuation and not a re-do. I know the show doesn't follow the manga at a certain point, but the TV show was excellent and shouldn't be re-done just so it follows the manga. Especially since the whole first part would be pretty much the same.

But if it is a continuation, I hope they do their best to keep it to the same standards of quality of the original show, and that they don't just throw some crap together to make money.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
The only way I see this being possible for FMA is if they do a remake of it much like the 2006 remake of Kanon. The first series resolved its plot completely. I don't see what making a second season will do since the anime of FMA tied up all its loose ends perfectly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Well this is a surprise. The only question is will it be an adaption of the manga or a continuation of the anime-only story that includes manga material. This is great interesting news. Can't wait to see if Funimation licenses it (which they'd be insane not to) or if someone else manages to outbid them. (Only likely candidate would be Bandai Entertainment.)
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll be really surprised if this doesn't get insta-licensed by FUNi. FMA was a massive success over here and they'd absolutely jump at the chance to sell more of it.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how they plan to do it. The first series wrapped itself up quite nicely and I have no idea where they'd take the characters from there. I'm going to hope for a new manga adaptation, personally, as it just makes more sense logistically. Ultimately as long as the original Japanese cast is back I'll be happy. I'm pleased to hear about the switch in directors, though - Mizushima's style just did not work with FMA.

Last edited by Murasakisuishou on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Funimation is a shoe-in to get this title. So, I wouldn't worry about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
Especially since the whole first part would be pretty much the same.
From what I remember, half the first season were filler anyways.

Last edited by SharinganEye on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
phoenixphire24 wrote:
manga. Especially since the whole first part would be pretty much the same.

Yup. Or the canon was out of order and created some continuity problems later on.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:

so? We have Rie Kugimiya to voice Al, if she's not to busy doing Tsunderes

Yeah, but not everyone likes Rie Kugimiya's Al. I for one was just not feeling her performance and was more inclined to Al's english voice.

Anyway, this announcement definitely came as a suprise to me. I'm wondering how the continuation's going to work out; if they're going to be following the manga's storyline or something else...

Last edited by CloverKuroba on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ki918

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
From the look of it, It'll probably be an alternate retelling of the story closer to the manga.
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I hope this series will be closer to the manga if the rumors are indeed true.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's rather unexpected. I suppose my response is best desrcibed as 'cautious optimism'- FMA is/was one of my favorite shows, so I can't say I'm not liking the idea of getting more... at the same time, as stated, the first run was so conclusive that a continuation just seems weird. A re-do runs the 'crappy cash cow' risk.

I'll defintely be watching to see where it goes, that's for sure. I wonder what this'll do to my plans to get as many FMA voice actors to autograph my DVDs as possible? I'm not getting much headway there, I'd hate to have a new pile of autographs to get. Laughing
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope they replace the 2nd season with vol. 8 and up of the manga. The original story is much better. And I didn't particularly care for the movie.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm a little shocked by this news. However, at the same time, I'm excited. FMA is one of my favorite series. It will definitely be interesting to see what direction they take as far as the story is concerned.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
SharinganEye wrote:
phoenixphire24 wrote:
manga. Especially since the whole first part would be pretty much the same.

Yup. Or the canon was out of order and created some continuity problems later on.

Volumes 1-7 of the manga follow episodes 1-35 pretty well; all of this material would be repeated if they decided to start from the beginning. They could start after this, where the TV show strays, but it would be a little awkward to start the plot in the middle of the story.

Didn't they change the ending of the TV show because the author wasn't done with the manga and wanted them to go in a different direction? Is the manga finished, or almost finished so that they could re-make the show with the manga plot? I was under the impression that the manga was still on going...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14