• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Death Note Film to Play in Canadian Theaters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote
So will the names in the Death Notes end with the word "eh" in this version? Rolling Eyes
Captain-Bravo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Lol. Here I thought they forgot about us. Confused

Well Maybe now Viz can try to bring the Bleach movie up to Canada as well. Smile
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Ninja Maid wrote:
I'm kinda confused here? Why would someone want to go watch the movie in theaters if they already have the DVD? And even more confusing is that the DVDs will be on sale after the movie? Then what will they need the tickets for??

I'm very confused @-@

you have a theater-size tv at your house? i have a bunch of movies i'd love to go see in theater.

sadly, if i were to go see this, it would be a 2 1/2 hour drive each way. i'd probably have to book the next day off work Sad you'd think with only one saskatchewan showing they'd have it in the biggest population center in the province *sigh*
Megsee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
FWNW wrote:
Ugh, this was absolutely terrible. I am a HUGE fan of the manga and anime, but this live action film was just complete rubbish (and I saw it subbed). There are too many changes made to the plot and even characters to compare it to the manga and anime. Its a whole other entitity on its own, that I'd prefer we just forget ever happened. Not only did it stray from the original material beyond repair, but it was also utterly boring. I had to watch it in 20 minute stints, hoping that each time I went back to watch, it would redeem itself. Well, I got to the final scene (another of the many poorly executed ones)... and it just...didn't! L was too distracting, they tried to fit in all of his wacky habits that it came off as forced. How many times did they pull that cheesy low angle shot of Light looking onward in accomplishment. Geez. And the cinematography was just ugly. Set design, ugly. Camera movement, CGI, UGLY! Ryuk looked like he came straight out of a video game. The color palette was disgusting. All these oranges and browns, warm colors, when the anime gave off a blue/green, more cold tone, that added more to the thematic morbidity, as well as the suspense of the series. There obviously was no artistic backing on this project, the only reason for its existance was to cash in on the popularity of the franchise. Maybe too many people are giving it way too much credit than it deserves, because currently its all they are being offered. But seriously, they could have done MUCH better. The film was just plain BAD... to the point where it almost tainted my view on the source material. I'm not trying to dis Death Note or anything, i'm only being this vocal because I am an avid fan of the original manga and anime. I just wish I hadnt seen it. But who knows, others who haven't experienced the manga or anime may indeed enjoy it. But its very sad to say that they are missing out!

Save your money, watch the anime! And if you already have, protect your love for it by avoiding this disaster of a "film" [sic].

To be honest, although changes were made and I didn't enjoy certain actors playing certain characters, I still enjoyed watching the movie. Sure, it wasn't quite as good as the source material, but in a way it was also made to introduce people to the series without making them buy a bunch of anime DVDs or manga first. I'd say mission accomplishedin that respect, I know a few friends of mine who were introduced to the anime and manga through the movie. In the end it was decent enough to merit a watch. Rolling Eyes
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So will the names in the Death Notes end with the word "eh" in this version? Rolling Eyes

What a bad and pathetic attempt of a 'joke'. I and I know many other Canadians are sick and tired of the "eh" jokes and find them extremely stereotypical and insulting.

Grow up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2