• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gurren Lagann Sub.DVD 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
I'm not a Japanese language expert, Arx7arbalest, but honestly, I think you're being paranoid about this. I watched one entire early episode comparing the English dub and the subtitles word-for-word and scene-for-scene and, while there wasn't much variation, I saw enough to convince me that these weren't "dubtitles." (And I have seen cases where dubtitles really have been done - and watch anime dubbed with the subs on all the time - so I like to think I know what I'm talking about here.)

Or is the real issue whether or not the subtitles are, themselves, a bit adapted rather than being a pure translation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
AckIsBack wrote:
I honestly didn't think Kamina's dub voice was nearly as bad as Viral's. He sounded like a PMS geek the whole time, imo. Kamina just sounded un-manly.

Nia's dub voice is great, imo. I really like it. :3 Not as good as japanese, but pretty dang good.

Also, I liked Nia's short hair, I thought it was adorable. And I love the music. C:

Actually I like the dub completely though i still cant believe that's the same guy that VA as Kiba on naruto.Also Nia's voice is much cuter then the japaneese voice,though Rossiou is another story.Sure his voice is great but how is it that JYB ends up VA characters that become serious bastards,and does a hell of a job doing it???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
though Rossiou is another story.Sure his voice is great but how is it that JYB ends up VA characters that become serious bastards,and does a hell of a job doing it???

Well, he's had other types of roles as well, so it's not like he's being typecast completely. Renton from Eureka Seven, for example, usually lacked any sort of backbone, and JYB did a good job of portraying such a character.

But yeah, he does a great Rossiou. There's a sense of pride, knowledge, and a hint of arrogance in his voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2