• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion DVD 1-2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:

I prefer Johnny, actually. Fukuyama was good at first, but then he took way, WAAAAAY out of proportion. YONG keeps it real, though. He's a true homie.

I haven't heard much of JYB's Lelouch, but I can see where you're going with the comparison. Jun Fukuyama got a little too carried away at times -- though I still loved the performance overall, as it fits with the series anyway -- whereas I'm guessing JYB doesn't get as theatric in his performance. I'm just glad that I read rather than watch Bleach, because I've heard the aforementioned point about Ichigo's voice a lot.

Poor Lelouch, though, he's really getting the torch from the review crew here. I still maintain he's a good guy, though; actually, I think that these first 9 episodes -- especially the first couple -- don't show him off in the best light. Perhaps Carl/Bamboo's impressions of him will change come mid-series, when spoiler[Shirley's dad is killed].

While I agree that Code Geass' EDs are pretty lackluster, I found that the OP songs grew on me over time. I enjoy them a fair bit now. Same with the visuals.

One more thing: does anybody know the origins for the name Kallen? Up until now I was solidly convinced that the Japanese performance was simply mis-pronouncing Karen, and that all the fansub groups were obstinately carrying that forward in their translations. But now that I see the name being used by an official source, I have to wonder...

Great review, Carl. Keep the comedy coming, as I got some laughs out of reading this ("make the Bard blush", indeed Laughing ). I should be getting my LE discs tomorrow, and I just hope I don't get a defective copy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
Fukuyama actually sounds like royalty. He has an inflection* in his voice that is symptomatic of a person with high status and used to commanding others. Johnny Young Bosch plays a Lelouch who sounds like a typical teenage boy trying to be powerful; Fukuyama's Lelouch simply is. Sure the dialogue itself is slightly corny, but that's not Fukuyama's fault.Bosch was alright in Trigun, but he's mediocre in Bleach and mediocre as Lelouch vi Britannia, Lelouch Lamperouge and Zero.

Whether you prefer sub or dub (I'm a dub person generally), it should be self-evident that Bosch does not sound like a bitter, cynical castoff-Prince with an axe to grind. More like a typical teenager trying out his smarmy evil voice in the bathroom mirror. And if the lead role is way off, I struggle to see how the dub as a whole can get the same mark as the sub (considering Bosch isn't the only one to disappoint).

As for the OP and ED, I found them an acquired taste. Although I was dubious as first, I ended up liking them. Not enough to listen to them every day outside the episodes, but I still view them enthusiastically when I watch the episodes.

Don't know what else to call it.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

One more thing: does anybody know the origins for the name Kallen? Up until now I was solidly convinced that the Japanese performance was simply mis-pronouncing Karen, and that all the fansub groups were obstinately carrying that forward in their translations. But now that I see the name being used by an official source, I have to wonder...

No, first everybody called her Karen, because Karen is a name, in Japanese and in English. Then Sunrise actually showed her name as Kallen in the series (on Lulu's mobile phone I think) and also used this spelling in articles and so on.

I think there is no origin, but Sunrise simply made this one up, like many others. I can find Kallen as a very rare irish male name, but not on any trustworthy site. CG still has a lot of real names, but there are also quite a few that to me just seem made up pseudo-occidental. (Lelouch? Nunnally? Rivalz? Schneizel?). Nunnally, Kallen and Lelouch seem to be last names though and Nunnally also a male first name Anime hyper
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:14 am Reply with quote
Haha, really? Thanks for the info then. I had never thought about that with most of the other names, though; I guess Kallen stood out because it's so similar to a "real" name.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:

In my honest opinion Johnny Yong Bosch's (JYB) performance as Lelouch is a complete and utter disappointment at best. When he plays as Lelouch it sounds way too similar to his Ichigo voice from Bleach. ....

The English dub for code geass is mediocre at best. I highly recommend to anyone that watches code geass to listen to the Japanese dub (Sub) even if you normally don't. The Japanese Voices are by far superior to that of the English dub(I don't want to see this thread turn into a dub vs sub argument and once again please don't flame me for voicing my opinion). When emotions start running high towards the end of the season

Darn until you said that I had no idea it was Ichigo from Bleach. Now I'll notice it everytime I watch the show. As to your suggestion on the sub there is pretty much no way at this point for those of us who started watching it on. CN is almost done with it's run and I am certainly not going to wait months for the DVD's to come out. Normally though I watch all my anime subbed but once I start a show in English I have to end it in English.
On a side note I watched the fansub of ep 1 and found Lelouchs voice to be instantly recognizable as Takumi from Special A. It was very distracting.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
Good review, although I don't see why Lelouch being hard to like is a strike against the show. He's not supposed to be very likable, just interesting to watch. Light wasn't likable either, but that's part of what made Death Note so good. The same applies here.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
I agree, in a weird sort of way.

This series is a guilty pleasure top-to-bottom. Or should one feel guilty enjoying at all...?

FYI.......How is Lelouch less likeable than Light? =_= Lelouch has legit motives (selfish...but legit), while Light is just a psychotic serial killer with a god-like ego...

I like Lelouch more, mostly because he reminds me of myself. Now, I do like Llight also, even though he is crazy. I like him because he was entertaining in his own way.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
No mention of how CC and Suzaku "die" in the first episode and miraculously reappear shortly thereafter?

Suzaku survived the shot because it was to the stomach and missed all vital organs. CC, hmmm., I think I will have to watch it further in to know how she lived.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:

On a side note I watched the fansub of ep 1 and found Lelouchs voice to be instantly recognizable as Takumi from Special A. It was very distracting.

I noticed the same thing earlier this season while watching R2 and Special A, except I found Takishima's voice sounded like Lelouch's, rather than the other way around.

Wyvern wrote:
He's not supposed to be very likable, just interesting to watch.

Eh, I don't think Lelouch is "supposed" to be anything. His only resemblances to Light are superficial -- they don't share that whole "self-interested psychopath" vibe.

Panda Man wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
No mention of how CC and Suzaku "die" in the first episode and miraculously reappear shortly thereafter?

Suzaku survived the shot because it was to the stomach and missed all vital organs. CC, hmmm., I think I will have to watch it further in to know how she lived.

Yeah, Suzaku was never dead; either his CO was sloppy, or he never meant to kill him. As for C.C.; without ruining anything, I think it was made pretty clear from her little post-mortem conversation with Lelouch -- nevermind the containment unit she was housed in -- in the first episode that she isn't exactly normal.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
I keep hearing people say that Lelouch is unlikable and alot of people compare him to Light from Death Note and I really wonder why.

I like Lelouch. Sure he does some horrible things but he doesn't do it with the heartlessness Light did. Not to mention in addition to trying to get revenge on Britanna he is also doing this to have a better world for his little sister which in my opinion is a noble thing to do.

Other things that prove he isn't so unlikeable are spoiler[When he finds out Shirly's father was killed because of what he did he was shocked and didn't shrug it off all that easily] That's just one instance as well. There are many others that prove Lelouch can be quite likable.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, I don't really see the plot connection between Code Geass and Death Note other that that first time he used Geass to have those soldiers kill themselves or that other time when he spoiler[makes the leader of the Japan liberation front kill himself. ]Other than that, it is pretty different from Death Note.

I mean, first of all, Light and Lelouch's personality are completely different. Light is fighting for a better world while Lelouch is fighting for revenge. There powers are both different in that the Death Note can be used on anyone from anywhere to make them do something the person would psychologically do and always end in death. Geass has to be used on someone who makes eye contact and can only be used once. However, it can make the victim do anything without the psychological limits that the Death Note has and it does not end in the victim dying.

As for the Gundam part.. well any show with a mech in it is going to resemble Gundam, that's a given.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:

I prefer Johnny, actually. Fukuyama was good at first, but then he took way, WAAAAAY out of proportion. YONG keeps it real, though. He's a true homie.

I haven't heard much of JYB's Lelouch, but I can see where you're going with the comparison. Jun Fukuyama got a little too carried away at times -- though I still loved the performance overall, as it fits with the series anyway -- whereas I'm guessing JYB doesn't get as theatric in his performance. I'm just glad that I read rather than watch Bleach, because I've heard the aforementioned point about Ichigo's voice a lot.

Poor Lelouch, though, he's really getting the torch from the review crew here. I still maintain he's a good guy, though; actually, I think that these first 9 episodes -- especially the first couple -- don't show him off in the best light. Perhaps Carl/Bamboo's impressions of him will change come mid-series, when spoiler[Shirley's dad is killed].

While I agree that Code Geass' EDs are pretty lackluster, I found that the OP songs grew on me over time. I enjoy them a fair bit now. Same with the visuals.

Great review, Carl. Keep the comedy coming, as I got some laughs out of reading this ("make the Bard blush", indeed Laughing ). I should be getting my LE discs tomorrow, and I just hope I don't get a defective copy.

How do I put this... JYB has a MUUUCH better evil laugh. Anime hyper
R315r4z0r wrote:
Agreed, I don't really see the plot connection between Code Geass and Death Note other that that first time he used Geass to have those soldiers kill themselves or that other time when he spoiler[makes the leader of the Japan liberation front kill himself. ]Other than that, it is pretty different from Death Note.

I mean, first of all, Light and Lelouch's personality are completely different. Light is fighting for a better world while Lelouch is fighting for revenge. There powers are both different in that the Death Note can be used on anyone from anywhere to make them do something the person would psychologically do and always end in death. Geass has to be used on someone who makes eye contact and can only be used once. However, it can make the victim do anything without the psychological limits that the Death Note has and it does not end in the victim dying.

As for the Gundam part.. well any show with a mech in it is going to resemble Gundam, that's a given.

Actually...Lelouch isn't fighting JUST for revenge. He's also out to make a better world for Nunnaly.

As for the Lelouch/Light comparisons, it's quite simple: Both of them view their allies as nothing more than disposable pawns. Of course...Lelouch on the other hand begins to care for his comrades as time goes by, where Light simply turns into an even bigger douche minute-by-minute.

And lastly...there IS one mech anime that isn't even close to Gundam... Eureka 7. Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this review actually makes me want to go back and give "Code Geass" another chance. I'm sure I've mentioned this several times before on the website, but the jingoist overtones of the first two episodes (along with my generally mixed feelings towards mecha) turned me off to it... but hearing it described as something you shouldn't take too seriously, I think maybe I could learn to get past it.

Thanks for the review!
sakiihana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
well well, personally i really like lulu. But considering the reviewer just watched the few begining episodes, i guess lulu wasn't as likable then. But trust me, he really grows on you Very Happy

As for the over the top performances, well entertainment is over the top and one shouldn't concern with the laws of logic and reality when watching it. Very Happy plus, lulu's dramatic entrances and speeches are the best Very Happy

I really liked the opening and endings, especially the ali project endings, tho the could have animated some different images...

do not be discouraged by what may seem to some as a poor start. for it just gets better and better Very Happy
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:

And lastly...there IS one mech anime that isn't even close to Gundam... Eureka 7. Smile

On that note, I'd like to add Bounen no Xamdou to that list (Cold War comparisons aside). Then again, Xam'd is far from over, so who knows.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
sakiihana wrote:
well well, personally i really like lulu. But considering the reviewer just watched the few begining episodes, i guess lulu wasn't as likable then. But trust me, he really grows on you Very Happy

As for the over the top performances, well entertainment is over the top and one shouldn't concern with the laws of logic and reality when watching it. Very Happy plus, lulu's dramatic entrances and speeches are the best Very Happy

I really liked the opening and endings, especially the ali project endings, tho the could have animated some different images...

do not be discouraged by what may seem to some as a poor start. for it just gets better and better Very Happy

Those ending images were drawn by CLAMP, so quit yer bitchin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6